Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 09:38   #1

Boat: Mason 44
Xantrex Link 2000

I'm looking to locate a working Xantrex Link 2000 monitor/remote control to replace mine which is no longer working properly. The unit is no longer made or serviced by Xantrex.

Anyone who is upgrading to Mastervolt or Victron or another charger/inverter with new remote/battery monitor and can spare their Link 2000, I'm a ready and willing buyer.

Thanks.
MSB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 09:56   #2

Re: Xantrex Link 2000

I purchased a tested used Link 200 with shunt on Ebay a couple of weeks ago for $520 that I ended up not needing. I eventually traced my problem to a faulty positive 12V wire running back to the battery bank. Seems it showed 12V but would not take any load. defective somewhere. I jumpered the wire to the nearby battery switch and now works OK. Suggest you do a thorough check of connections and wiring. But if you still want to buy one, the returned Link unit may still be available from acdcinc1 at Ebay. Worth a look. Email them if it is not yet relisted. They just got it back a few days ago.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 10:07   #3

Thanks for the lead...I've traced all the fuses, wires and connections. My unit does not register AC status or control the charge function. It reads volts/amps, etc. and remotely controls inverter. We had a lightning strike near our boat in the spring. Had a board replaced in the inverter/charger, replaced a digital echo charge and an AIS unit that all had blown circuits. I think something on the board inside the Link got blown. Have a back up remote for the inverter that operates fine, but I'd like a Link 2000 back.
Old 15-09-2013, 13:39   #4

Just checked. It is back on Ebay for $450 minimum bid - 3 days to go.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 21:07   #5

$500?.. dam I've thrown a few of these out...
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 16:10   #6

You threw out something that was working? A "few" of them, no less? Lots of people interested in used gear.
Old 16-09-2013, 17:02   #7

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

NOt sure if this is of any use, I have a Heart Remote 84-2056-03. It works but the old Heart 20 smoked. Xantrex changed the name after they purchased Heart but I'm sure you know that.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 17:13   #8

Foggy,

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually already have one of those and it is what I am using for controlling the charge function and invert function now. That way I don't have to empty out and climb into my sail locker to push buttons. I may just have to live with it as is.

Bob
Old 16-09-2013, 18:45   #9

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSB44 View Post
Foggy,

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually already have one of those and it is what I am using for controlling the charge function and invert function now. That way I don't have to empty out and climb into my sail locker to push buttons. I may just have to live with it as is.

Bob

Bob--

Yeah, I would live with it before I would spend $300-500 for a replacement especially for an old design. I would put that $$$ towards a newer design. I have come to dislike combined inverters/chargers. Heart did a reasonably good job considering when he did his design. But there are things to be very careful about with the Freedoms.

Specifically.......DO NOT CHANGE THE BATTERIES while the unit is charging. Sure, those so called make before break battery switches are supposed to do just that, many times though if turned quickly they DON'T! There is no provision in that design that I could find tracing wires and circuits that will allow current to free wheel when the load is interrupted.

I was charging somewhere around 80 amperes one night while on anchor. I switched the batteries with a so called make before break battery switch and my FREEDOM 20 BLEW UP!!! The thing actually had flames coming out of it. I screamed for Wifey to get an extinguisher, disconnected the batteries and the AC while the flames died out! No joke!!! Old Smoky is in my basement as I type.

I have a Freedom 10 --24vdc that I purchased new on Ebay for about $250 7-8 years ago. It never sees much of a load, primary application is to charge my windlass batteries and it also provides AC to my microwave when away from the dock.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 20:09   #10

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Xantrex Link 2000 Remote and Freedom 25 Charger/Inverter
I've got one on CL... going to have to part it out I guess, the remote to ebay and the rest is so damn heavy to ship. If interested let me know.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote