Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2020, 16:13   #1

Boat: Caliber Yachts/Caliber 38
Xantrex Pro Vs Xantrex Btry monitor

New to me ‘89 Caliber 38. 3 house deep cycle batteries, 3 solar panels, Xantrex Pro inverter, and xantrex “battery monitor”.

I believe the Xantrex battery monitor was the first addition. It is inoperative. I traced the wires, 3 to a common ground, all good wires, no resistance, exept the red. The lone red wire was hooked up to house battery #1. The fuse was badly corroded. got infinite resistance on the voltmeter, even after bypassing the bad fuse.

The xantrex pro is an inverter. It does continiously monitor the house batteries voltage level. It does not measure amp usage, or remaining battery levels. The inverter has to remain on to monitor. It also uses battery power.

Just wondering why the Xantrex battery monitor isn’t working, besides the faulty red wire to battery. Disconnected as thought at the time that it wasnt needed once the xantrex pro inverter and monitor was added?

I am trying not to change too many things initially. However, my last boat had many feet of useless wire from multiple owners. I found this while trying to label everything, although aware the battery monitor wouldn’t work.

I have read about better battery monitors of late also.
Thanks for reading this far, and any advice.
chriskilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 16:31   #2

Re: Xantrex Pro Vs Xantrex Btry monitor

the inverter switch is just an on / off swtich. the voltage reading will be useless if the inverter is on. as it's measuring voltage at the inverter which is different then at the batteries. just use it as a swtich. plus it likly only shows when the inverter is on, and you only want the inveter on if you are using it.

hook up the battery monitor. it needs 2 power wires, a ground wire, and 2 shunt wires to work. that is what you want to be monitoring the batteries with.

if you can't get it to work look at a victron bvm or new xantrans link lite. the xantrax will use the same wires and be easier to swap. though the victron is easy to hook up, but you'll have to pull a different cable.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:20   #3

Boat: Caliber Yachts/Caliber 38
Re: Xantrex Pro Vs Xantrex Btry monitor

Smac,
Thanks! I’m learning new things about systems daily. Appreciate your help in setting my thinking straight. Also to The Compass marine site, with great illustrations on how a battery monitor is supposed to work.

I turned off the inverter (have 110v at the dock), was just mesmerized by the pretty display lights, I guess. Going to replace the inop battery monitor with the Balmer. Also purchased 2 robust busbars and battery fuse blocks.

Chris
chriskilmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor