Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2022, 15:23   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: Yanmar 4JH4E and Balmar alternator fit woes

Which alternator and regulator do you have?

My Yanmar harness has red and blue to a T connector. Red is the top of the T. It connects to brown in the regulator harness. Blue is not connected. There is also an orange wire. It goes to the green in the regulator harness.

I have series 60 alternator with ARS-5 which is about the same wiring as the MC regulators but no external voltage sense.

Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 17:17   #32

Boat: OC40 hull #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoomy View Post
Hi Guys,
I got the Balmar Serpentine kit and the water pump works without any rubbing on the housing. Yay! One problem solved.
Unfortunately the charging system is not working. I'm sure I've botched the wiring. From the engine there are two small wires around 14-16 Guage. One is brown. I'm 99% sure that goes to the brown wire in the Balmar regulator harness which is the "ignition/ on-off switch"
What does the red wire do?
thanks!
Apologies: the above post is confusing.
After searching around I found this article:

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?thr...ire-id.574846/

It prompted me to go back and trace the wires back a bit. I found the "red wire" had been spliced onto the orange wire coming from the Engine. And the "brown wire" had been spliced onto a red wire with a thin black tracer. From the article above I believe that the orange wire is tachometer and the red/black is ignition.
stoomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 19:01   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

Good find.

When you get it running your tach will not read right. You need to adjust. I bought an optical tach on Amazon but if you are confident of what the current idle is set at you can just adjust accordingly. This link should be a pin article on how to adjust.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...4&d=1594841918

Again, why Balmar doesn’t hint at these issues up front is frustrating.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:08   #34

Boat: OC40 hull #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
Which alternator and regulator do you have?

My Yanmar harness has red and blue to a T connector. Red is the top of the T. It connects to brown in the regulator harness. Blue is not connected. There is also an orange wire. It goes to the green in the regulator harness.

I have series 60 alternator with ARS-5 which is about the same wiring as the MC regulators but no external voltage sense.

Harry
Hi Harry,
I have the 60 Alternator and MC-612 regulator.

I dug up some old photos of when I had the old 70-110 Alternator (attached). If I'm reading this diagram correctly: https://www.balmar.net/wp-content/up...l-pre-2005.pdf . the orange wire was going to the stator. The old 7 worked well. I've been using the Hitachi for a couple years. So...do I connect this orange wire to the white wire labled "stator output" #8 in this diagram? https://balmar.net/wp-content/upload...0207-REV-E.pdf
stoomy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, balmar, yanmar