Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2022, 08:04   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
Yanmar 4JH5E. Cost effective charging increase?

I'm sure there are well-known answers to this question for a relatively common engine, but I'm struggling to find them.

We have a 2017 Oceanis 45 with 420Ah of AGM batteries, and I'd like to figure if there's a reasonable way to increase the charging current from the engine. (Solar is a separate question).

I understand that if the engine is equipped with the Valeo alternator (to be verified), there is a Balmar regulator upgrade available. (ARS-5 or MC-614).

Is this approach generally thought to be worthwhile?

The next option might be to exchange the alternator, but I haven't yet spent too much time on figuring out what option might fit with a modest amount of work.

Is there a "classic" well-liked alternator upgrade for this engine?

Any information, especially from people who have trod this path ahead of me, is very much appreciated.
Regards,
Doug
Old 24-08-2022, 12:24   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Yanmar 4JH5E. Cost effective charging increase?

If you have a Balmar regulator then look at the Balmar alternators. They have all sorts.
Old 17-02-2024, 17:46   #3

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMc View Post
I'm sure there are well-known answers to this question for a relatively common engine, but I'm struggling to find them.

We have a 2017 Oceanis 45 with 420Ah of AGM batteries, and I'd like to figure if there's a reasonable way to increase the charging current from the engine. (Solar is a separate question).

I understand that if the engine is equipped with the Valeo alternator (to be verified), there is a Balmar regulator upgrade available. (ARS-5 or MC-614).

Is this approach generally thought to be worthwhile?

The next option might be to exchange the alternator, but I haven't yet spent too much time on figuring out what option might fit with a modest amount of work.

Is there a "classic" well-liked alternator upgrade for this engine?

Any information, especially from people who have trod this path ahead of me, is very much appreciated.
Regards,
Doug
We have the exact same boat/ engine/ alternator. Which way dos you go please?
fnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 17:59   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnees View Post
We have the exact same boat/ engine/ alternator. Which way dos you go please?
So far, I have installed about 350 watts of solar. Our boat lives in the BVI, so that is quite effective.

I have also purchased the Wakespeed external regulator, but have not yet finished the installation. I only want to complete the hookup when I have a decent amount of time available to spend on the boat.

Regards
Doug
Old 17-02-2024, 18:18   #5

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I have a 120amp valero type alternator on my 4JH2E (relative of your engine) its being controlled by a sterling External alrternator regulator. I cracked the case on my alternator myself and converted it to external regulation following the Sterling instructions, which weren't very hard. Its part of my system managing 440ah of FLA GC2 batteries. They combination has done pretty well over the last 8 years keeping my GC2's alive.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 04:11   #6

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I have a 120amp valero type alternator on my 4JH2E (relative of your engine) its being controlled by a sterling External alrternator regulator. I cracked the case on my alternator myself and converted it to external regulation following the Sterling instructions, which weren't very hard. Its part of my system managing 440ah of FLA GC2 batteries. They combination has done pretty well over the last 8 years keeping my GC2's alive.
Thanks guys for the answers. I will look into those external regulators. I am still thinking on exchanging the alternator, but that seems more work than announced...
fnees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, yanmar