Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 16:03   #1

Yanmar alternator connecting to smart regulator

We are in the process of putting new Yanmar engine 4jhe5 53 hp into our boat. We have an existing Stirling smart regulator battery charging system. We wish to run the yanmar alternator through the Stirling smart regulator. Has anybody done this? with what results? Thanks Grace 7 Pittwater.
Gracehr38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 16:48   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Yanmar alternator connecting to smart regulator

I haven't done it with a Yanmar stock alternator so do not know how difficult it is to make the modification necessary to connect a wire to the proper brush. This was a very easy job on our Volvo stock alternator.

The Sterling works as advertised once the modification is made to the alternator. The only problem in practice is that the Sterling drives these small alternators very hard. They put out their maximum amperage for long periods of time and the temperature of the alternator can reach 250°F easily.

Sterling supplies an alternator temperature sensor, which must be used if you value your alternator. Unfortunately, the alternator reaches the high temps quickly and the Sterling shuts down the current until it cools down. So you enter this mode where it pumps high current for 15min, then shuts down for 15min, then pumps current again, etc. It would be much better if the regulator ran at half current instead of shutting down completely.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 16:55   #3

I have been using the promariner Pro I so charge 120 and on my larger boats I used to probe Mariner Pro I so 180 they are awesome at work really effective with a higher output alternator
Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 21:09   #4

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

You will need to take the alternator to an alternator shop and have them rewire it for an external regulator. Have then label the wires. You could probably do it yourself if you have experience with circuits and soldering.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Grace.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:18   #6

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I think that it is a bad idea to take a light duty, automotive type alternator- the Hitachi found on all Yanmars, and ask it to do heavy duty service.

High output alternators are different. They have heavier windings, heavier diodes, and better cooling. Trying to get a lot of amps out of a Hitachi alternator for a long period of time is asking for failure.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:10   #7

We have just installed the same engine. After a load of hassle trying to get our Balmar alternator 150a to work with the Yanmar panel and our external regulator, we reverted to using the standard alternator for the engine/generator batteries, and made a simple bracket to fit the Balmar as a second alternator. This setup is simple and gives plenty of output.
s4sail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, regulator, yanmar