Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2022, 10:23   #1

Boat: Catalina 36 MkII
Yet Another Lithium Wiring Question

Sorry....

I have searched the forums and think I have come up with my final design... just looking for any red flags in this?

I left the 1,2,Both switch so that I can isolate the starter and for use when running the windlass (thought the windlass current might trip the LifePO4 BMS?). Wiring the alternator and shore power charger through a DC-DC charger like Victron Orion ...

Thanks for any comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring_Draft.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	254851  
Zoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 10:52   #2

Re: Yet Another Lithium Wiring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoodles View Post
Sorry....

I left the 1,2,Both switch so that I can isolate the starter and for use when running the windlass .

Thanks for any comments.

In your diagram the starter, windlass, and house load remain connected to each other irrespective of the position of the 1/2/Both switch. Some experts recommend isolating the electronics from the starter while cranking the engine (and, to a lesser degree, isolating the electronics from the windlass when running it) because of voltage fluctuations resulting from switching a big inductive load. Also, how does the isolator / DC-to-DC charger combo behave when the switch is in the "both" position? I am not qualified to give you specific advice, though.
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 11:39   #3

Hi Chris and thanks for the reply...
Re your first comment, the starter (and windlass) to "common" on the switch has always been factory wired that way and so far have had no problems or issues...
Re your comment on the isolator/DC-DC charger... I don't know as this has not been wired or tested yet.
Old 26-03-2022, 11:35   #4

Is the isolator even necessary??
Old 29-03-2022, 16:25   #5

I am using a Victron Orion DC-to-DC charger as the isolator between a FLA starter battery (attached to the alternator) and LiFePO4 house bank on a relatively similar wiring update on my 1987 Nonsuch 30. I would assume that the extra isolator would be redundant.
brokentiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 04:55   #6

Boat: Ericson 27

What we're doing on our boat is a bit simpler than what you have there. We have a LiFePO4 house battery (460AHr DIY battery), and a group 24 starting battery for the engine.

All charging sources (Solar, Inverter/Charger, Alternator) connect to the LiFePO4 bank, and the starter motor is maintained by an 18A Orion-TR charger. The only thing running off of the starter battery is the engine (and instrument panel) as well as the battery monitor for the starter battery.

If we were to wind up in a situation where the Orion failed, and our starter motor ran down, then we could probably re-wire on the fly, but we didn't think it was worth putting that in. Group 24 starting batteries, used only for starting purposes, are pretty damned reliable. If we do have an issue, we should learn about it pretty quickly as the starter battery is monitored.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 05:24   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
What we're doing on our boat is a bit simpler than what you have there. We have a LiFePO4 house battery (460AHr DIY battery), and a group 24 starting battery for the engine.

All charging sources (Solar, Inverter/Charger, Alternator) connect to the LiFePO4 bank, and the starter motor is maintained by an 18A Orion-TR charger. The only thing running off of the starter battery is the engine (and instrument panel) as well as the battery monitor for the starter battery.

If we were to wind up in a situation where the Orion failed, and our starter motor ran down, then we could probably re-wire on the fly, but we didn't think it was worth putting that in. Group 24 starting batteries, used only for starting purposes, are pretty damned reliable. If we do have an issue, we should learn about it pretty quickly as the starter battery is monitored.

This is the best and most efficient approach assuming all charge sources are controllable by the BMS.
Old 30-03-2022, 18:29   #8

I assume that your alternator is externally regulated and that you have set parameters for the LifePO4 charge parameters?
Without the long absorption and float levels the Lead acid start batt might be chronically undercharged, but that probably isn't too much of a concern.
How long have you had the system in effect? Curious in longevity and charge rates...
Old 30-03-2022, 20:54   #9

ged rid of the isolator and run the alt and charger straight to engine bank. then connect dc to dc charger from eng battery to house battery.

then replace that 1-2-all battery switch to separate the house and start systems out. an on / off swtich for each is easiest. connect windlass to start battery switch if worried about current.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 02:31   #10

Quote:
I assume that your alternator is externally regulated and that you have set parameters for the LifePO4 charge parameters?
Without the long absorption and float levels the Lead acid start batt might be chronically undercharged, but that probably isn't too much of a concern.
How long have you had the system in effect? Curious in longevity and charge rates...
I assume you were referring to me. We’re just in the process of building the system out, but due to the integration between the BMS and the Wakespeed, there isn’t actually much to configure. The Wakespeed is slaved to the BMS, and the BMS will be seeing both voltage and current limits. The regulator just does whatever the BMS asks (assuming the alternator is capable of it).

The biggest issue is going to be thermal back off on the alternator, which is likely going to be affected by our relatively small engine compartment. If we find the need to do a heavy engine recharge, we’ll likely pull off the engine cover and let the alternator breathe better.
Old 31-03-2022, 18:53   #11

Yes, Know what you mean... I have an 'Overkill' BMS it's a relatively 'smart' device, but I'm not sure how much affect it can have on the regulator. I have a Balmar MC-614 which does have a temp sensor for the alternator and can therefore scale it back if it overheats because I, like you, have a small frame alternator...
I have since revised my circuit and now will eliminate the DC-DC charger. In order to adhere to my "KISS" approach, which will save money and ultimately be easier to troubleshoot and repair when we spend our annual 2 month trips to the remote Central and North BC Coast.
I have configured the alternator and MPPT to charge for LifePO4 parameters and the AC charger for lead acid. With the appropriate switches I can charge or send the load to either bank if necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring_Draft2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	255326  
Old 31-03-2022, 19:36   #12

Quote:
Yes, Know what you mean... I have an 'Overkill' BMS it's a relatively 'smart' device, but I'm not sure how much affect it can have on the regulator. I have a Balmar MC-614 which does have a temp sensor for the alternator and can therefore scale it back if it overheats because I, like you, have a small frame alternator...
I have since revised my circuit and now will eliminate the DC-DC charger. In order to adhere to my "KISS" approach, which will save money and ultimately be easier to troubleshoot and repair when we spend our annual 2 month trips to the remote Central and North BC Coast.
I have configured the alternator and MPPT to charge for LifePO4 parameters and the AC charger for lead acid. With the appropriate switches I can charge or send the load to either bank if necessary.
The Balmar MC-614 is reasonably smart and can do most of the work of charging Lithiums. The one thing you'll want to do is get a relay/contact closure type signal from your BMS that will trigger the MC-614 to kill the alternator field before it hits the breaker, and/or configure the 614 to stop charging at a voltage below the cutoff.
Old 31-03-2022, 19:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
The Balmar MC-614 is reasonably smart and can do most of the work of charging Lithiums. The one thing you'll want to do is get a relay/contact closure type signal from your BMS that will trigger the MC-614 to kill the alternator field before it hits the breaker, and/or configure the 614 to stop charging at a voltage below the cutoff.
Not sure if I will need to do that in my case, because the alternator will still 'see' the Reserve/Start battery in the event of a load dump from the BMS...?

Thanks for the reply. Look forward to hearing more about your project. My batteries are on a slow boat and won't arrive to late June at earliest...
Old 25-07-2022, 19:39   #14

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
ged rid of the isolator and run the alt and charger straight to engine bank. then connect dc to dc charger from eng battery to house battery.

then replace that 1-2-all battery switch to separate the house and start systems out. an on / off swtich for each is easiest. connect windlass to start battery switch if worried about current.
SMac,
Can you explain the reasons for getting rid of Argofet apart from not-so-good profile for charging Engine battery please?
Does the Victron Orion smart dc- dc support LFP house to start charging. with battery isolation?
Cant find that scenario in documentation.
Thanks.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 20:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
SMac,
Can you explain the reasons for getting rid of Argofet apart from not-so-good profile for charging Engine battery please?
Does the Victron Orion smart dc- dc support LFP house to start charging. with battery isolation?
Cant find that scenario in documentation.
Thanks.
The ORion doesn’t care whether its power source is LFP or Lead Acid. You set it for a charge profile for its output, and it goes and does it.

My setup has all my charging sources (Alternator, Inverter/Charger, Solar) wired to the LFP bank, then an 18A Orion-Tr in the loop to keep my starting battery topped off.

I’m running a Victron based system, with a DIY LFP battery and a Wakespeed alternator regulator, but you can do this with a balmar MC-614 as well, just not as elegantly.

Tags
lithium, wiring