Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2016, 11:51   #16

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Your favorite house battery?

This boat had Dyno (Seattle) 8dc starting banks and 8dd inverter banks when bought. They were 20 year old batteries. Nearly worn out, but still doing a basic job. They're common in commercial fishing boats.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 11:59   #17

Boat: Colvic 34 - 40' Ketch

I have a standard truck battery for starting and 2 x 110Ah liesure for domestic. I also have an emergency 110Ah. They are all lead acid / water batteries that cost about £69 each. Charge is via solar trickle and engine via an Adverc regulator and voltage switch relay that does start first then domestic charging. Also have shore power 60amp charger when we go to marinas, about six eeeks a year, and 1200w inverter generator. Haven't had to use the emergency battery or genny for 10 years. Domestics last seven years so far. I also rotate batteries with the emergency about once in two months. Boat is moored on pontoon without shore power so it's mostly solar and engine charging. I changed all illumination to led two years ago.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 12:04   #18

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
I am electrically challenged so please tell me what ACR means?

Automatic Charge Relay, I think. When the house bank get to a predetermined state of charge the relay transfers the charge current to the start battery.

Makes sense, but I don't have it.
Old 22-12-2016, 12:10   #19

Boat: Colvic 34 - 40' Ketch

My charges start first then house when the start is full. I can force the join between house start and emergency using three battery switches. I want the choice and flexibility and automatic if I don't. The relay costs about £40
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 15:04   #20

Boat: Adams 42

After mixed results from flooded lead acid 100, 150, 200 a/h I have taken to Fiamm monolite 100 a/h valve regulated L/A. Have just retired two ten year olds that were from a dodgy source. The other ten, second hand, ex the local telco are now five and six years old and in fine shape. Two are on the starter circuit but I run them all in parallel except in unusual circumstances where a backup starting source is needed. Good regulators are essential as the SLA's are damaged by overcharging. Their 37 kg is manageable and their original all up cost of AU$750 appears as best value for money.
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 15:07   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

ranger42c
What do you mean by the "truck batteries" you are recommending for OP?

Products | Commercial Vehicles | Promotive Silver | VARTA

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/victro...224v-120a.html
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 15:26   #22

Boat: Prout 46

I have Beta lead crystal batteries, will not sulphate and I am happy with these.
John Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 15:31   #23

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Automatic Charge Relay, I think. When the house bank get to a predetermined state of charge the relay transfers the charge current to the start battery.

Makes sense, but I don't have it.
Yup. Makes keeping the batteries charged a no-brainer.

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1366
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 15:44   #24

Boat: Tartan 37

Batteries are like grandkids everyone likes their's the best. The space you have and the require Amphrs you need are the other. The best I every had was a pair of AMGs lasted 9 years. Now I use a AMG for engine start and charge with echo charger. House are two 12VDC golf cart batteries, same foot print as Group 31 but 2 inches taller and 50% more Amp-hrs gives me 310Ahrs. Didn't need to cut any boxes and was able to use existing cables. The best they only cost $120 ea, by US Batteries.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 16:06   #25

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
Hey yall after an incredible run of ten years our house bank is finally giving up the ghost We didn't know exactly the age of the house bank when we bought the boat but I just heard back from previous owner who said he never replaced the house bank and he bought the boat in 2006. So super excited they lasted as long as they did now we are shopping for a new bank. Just curious as to what your favorite manufacturers are. As always balancing cost, performance and economy. Thinking of a 600amp/hr and bank as that is what we have now and seems to have served us well.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, my take on this would be, if you achieved ten years out of your bank you have done VERY well and if they have done everything you require, why would you not replace like for like.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 16:24   #26

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I am aiming for 2 12v Trojan golfcart batteries. Mine would not be a normal case. I have a 20' boat.

6v golf cart batteries would get me the same capacity but somewhat better longevity at the cost of no redundancy. I only have room for 2 batteries. With 12v if one goes out I still have the diminished capacity of 1 battery. With 6v if I lose a battery I don't have anything, nothing will run on the 6v the remaining battery puts out.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 20:46   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Almost all electric units work between 13,8V (fully charged) and 11V. It makes no sense to use batteries that can be discharged down to 2V.
What battery type are you referring to?
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 21:44   #28

Boat: 50 Bene

Hey folks thanks for the great info and opinions. Our system is set up as follows. Large 600+amp/hr house bank consisting of three 6d sealed agm charged by either engine, gen set, or 600watt solar array tied to a midnite Kidd mppt charge controller that only charges the house bank. Separate agm start battery and a regular interstate car battery for starting gen set. Think we will just replace the house bank with the same setup sealed agm and call it a day. The house bank is easy to access and we can use the spin halyard to help manhandle them in. Was considering some firefly foam batts just not sure they are worth the extra money. Thoughts?

Thanks again.

Will
Old 23-12-2016, 03:40   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
What battery type are you referring to?
11 to say 13,8V is the range all electric and electronic units operate not the specification of a battery type
Old 23-12-2016, 03:46   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
Hey folks thanks for the great info and opinions. Our system is set up as follows. Large 600+amp/hr house bank consisting of three 6d sealed agm charged by either engine, gen set, or 600watt solar array tied to a midnite Kidd mppt charge controller that only charges the house bank. Separate agm start battery and a regular interstate car battery for starting gen set. Think we will just replace the house bank with the same setup sealed agm and call it a day. The house bank is easy to access and we can use the spin halyard to help manhandle them in. Was considering some firefly foam batts just not sure they are worth the extra money. Thoughts?

Thanks again.

Will
Don't think it it worth the money but you should use cyrix-ct, your solar panel to keep the banks charged. With 50A max solar charging the system is perfect. Just keep one light on board always lit snd ou have some necessary discharge to keep the batteries busy - and alive a long time.

Tags
battery