Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2008, 18:44   #1

Boat: Islander Freeport 41 1976
Send a message via Yahoo to windthief
Your Opinion Is Appreciated

For a background, We are on a mooring ball in San Diego with an AGM battery bank of 400amp hrs. My draw is 130amps per 24 hours.
I have a wind generator that does very little here unless it's stormy. There are two 35watt solar panels on the dodger that do very well (total 70watts). Today at 12:00 there were 2.5amps input at 13.10vdc(no load). Only half of thier output but good for the wintertime in this location.
I let them go down to 12.2vdc which takes about 4 days. Then I run a Honda EU2000i and Xantrex Freedom 20 untill the Link 20 tells me I am topped up.

Any thoughts on what could be improved in this setup or schedule?????

Thanks in advance
windthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 19:53   #2

Well...you have a nice charger with 100Amps that lets you top up in short order and you can only expect about 20-25 AH's a day out of your panels and nothing from the wind in your location. If you are indeed using 130A/H's per day...and putting back 25AH's from your solar...you should be down to 12.2 volts within TWO days...not four...since that is 50% charged. I am concerned that you are getting a false reading from your link, perhaps based on solar panel input which would mean that you are not actually looking at battery "at rest" voltage of 12.2 and are actually deeply discharging your batts before cycling. I would be more focused on net amp hour use before charging rather than voltage and be very sure your link is properly set up for your battery bank and type/temp etc.

The only other thing I'd add is that you should be charging every 2 days with the Honda and at least once every 2 weeks you need to top up till the link last green light is flashing...not merely lit.
I wouldn't change anything about your system unless you can add 400W more panels to eliminate the need for the Honda. Hope some of the above makes sense!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 20:02   #3

Boat: Islander Freeport 41 1976
Send a message via Yahoo to windthief
Yes yes

I should have clairified my 130amp hours per 24. That is my maximum usage. Right now it has been four days and am reading 12.3vdc with 3 amps going out. I have not really figured the actual real time usage per day.
windthief is offline   Reply With Quote