Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2023, 09:16   #31

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Zip Tie Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Reynolds View Post
...These look great. Perhaps only a little financial pain when I have to clip some off...

Mounts - forgot to ask. I prefer saddle mounts. Any design preferences or good sources?

No comments on containers or organizing. I guess too many other things to worry about. I just hate the way they manage to fall out of the plastic bags they come in.
(1) Financial pain. You make a good argument for keeping the cost down. This is what I meant by considering them "disposable." I don't mind cutting off a dozen of them and re-tying when I need to add a wire. If that started to get expensive, I'd be tempted to do a half-assed job.

(2) Mounts. I prefer the saddle type. I want to be able to replace the tie quickly and easily. Not back out the screw and replace it each time.

(3) Organizing. You can buy them in zip-lock bags or plastic cylinders with screw-on tops. Personally, I keep mine in a shoebox-size plastic tote, along with saddles, screws, heat shrink tubing, cutters and the wire tie gun I bought last year but haven't really mastered yet.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2023, 09:33   #32
CLOD

Boat: none

I never knew zip ties were so complex
Old 27-12-2023, 09:37   #33

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I don’t think you understand my recommendation for Velcro cable ties. This isn’t about using Velcro for the purpose, but about Velcro brand cable ties, i.e. purposely made for this. They are highly rated and work beautifully.

Here is a link to them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E1Y5O6
Quite right! Thank you.
Mal Reynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2023, 09:45   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
(3) Organizing. You can buy them in zip-lock bags or plastic cylinders with screw-on tops. Personally, I keep mine in a shoebox-size plastic tote, along with saddles, screws, heat shrink tubing, cutters and the wire tie gun I bought last year but haven't really mastered yet.
Great example of kitting tools and supplies in one place for certain jobs.

Maybe I should store some zip ties along with the impellers!

And yeah, zip-lock bags with the other stuff in a larger container is probably the way to go.
Old 27-12-2023, 09:50   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I never knew zip ties were so complex
Riiiight!?!

ABYC needs a standard - cable tie strength, width, temperature range, chemical tolerance, mount strength, no protrusions to protect insulation, UV resistance for outdoor use...

Just kidding.

No! Really! Just kidding!
Old 01-01-2024, 07:03   #36

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

For storage. Sam's/etc sell snacks in screw top containers, 4" square and 14" long. And you get to eat the snacks as part of the deal!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 08:05   #37

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
For storage. Sam's/etc sell snacks in screw top containers, 4" square and 14" long. And you get to eat the snacks as part of the deal!
I've seen those in the store. I think it's cheaper to buy a nice tool box!

Of course, then you don't get to eat the snacks. But I tend to vote with my wallet, and my vote is that snack food prices have unjustifiably spiked beyond their value.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 08:36   #38

Boat: C&C 37, 1985

On behalf of all sea critters, please do not use zip ties on your chain.
subdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 09:11   #39

I found Zip Ties for electrical work not to be a great option. Seems you are always having to cut them to add a wire or do something. Sharp ends where you cut them too. That doesnt mean I dont use them occasionally.
But for major wire bundle "tidying", the split conduit allows changes and multiple wire exit points etc. Even when used in short lengths it's handy. Or bulkhead mounts that release are good also.
I recently go some of this style conduit which is nice and there are various forms of similar things available. It can be drilled and screwed in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	718VSrSP9hL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	284949  
Attached Images

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 09:22   #40
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
To mark your anchor chain, the order is red, yellow, blue, white, green. You just choose the spacing to suit your needs.

The easiest way to remember the order is: Rub Your Balls With Grease
billreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 09:39   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
As for colour codes, it will be wrong somewhere. The aviation world gets around this problem by using white wires for everything!
I was under the impression that the military aircraft industry uses cable ties with the "teeth" on the outside so they won't cut into the insulation due to movement or vibration. Certainly the ones they gave me had to be used with the teeth on the outside which is why they explained it to me.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 09:41   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
But for major wire bundle "tidying", the split conduit allows changes and multiple wire exit points etc.
On I like that. Does the box stuff have a brand name?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 13:07   #43

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS 2004

I don’t often admit this, but when applying zip ties in hidden out of the way places, especially if a bit herd to reach, I don’t feel compelled to clip the ends off at all. That way there’s no risk of getting scratched the next time I need to reach back in there, and the intact ends make it easy to see where the ties are, and can be used to tug the tie away from the wire(s) to make it easier to cut without damaging the wire.
NewOrca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 13:30   #44
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I was under the impression that the military aircraft industry uses cable ties with the "teeth" on the outside so they won't cut into the insulation due to movement or vibration. Certainly the ones they gave me had to be used with the teeth on the outside which is why they explained it to me.

Pete
Interesting. I was under the impression military aircraft industry only uses cable ties without teeth; I'll ask around.

Certainly civil aviation down under almost universally with cable ties without teeth (Thomas and Betts 'Ty-Rap' - https://www.cabac.com.au/ty-rap )
Quote:
The low-profile head and signature oval shape make Ty-Rap cable ties easier to install – even in tight spaces. No serrations on the body of the ties makes them infinitely adjustable for the perfect tension every time.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 16:15   #45

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Often there’s no room for a zip tie gun. It seems that many are not aware of flush cutting side cutters. These leave no sharp edges.

I use these most often and I know they cut completely flush but there are many others: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RW8VTSX
Thanks!!! Just bought 2 pairs!!!
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men