Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2024, 19:12   #121
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: CT Owner Group

I am considering purchasing the China doll a ct41 8n tacoma wa. She needs a lot of work decks seem ok with a couple small spots in the cockpit. Needs the bowsprit replaced and the port side of the cabin .
Prior owned had materials that go with her I honestly see 500 hours labor to fix the issues I have identified. The volvo engine currently is not runnable the raw water intake is frozen . Engine will run but without cooling water not a good idea for long.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/b...765126039.html
Is she worth anything .? I'm retired shipwright so will do the actual work myself.
Old 24-07-2024, 08:05   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

My 1978 CT 48 had a full 3rd of her chain plate bolts were brocken and not visible.. I only found out when I started replacing the chainplates of which 2 have visible cracks.. My wood mast seemed ok on a cursory look, but we're not.. I replaced with aluminum and of course the standing riging. I have never heard of a CT of this vintage that didn't have fairly extensive deck core issues.. Without a haul-out it will be hard to ascertain if you have the feared hull blisters, and to know the state of your underwear metal.. I might assume that the zincs are long gone and as such, damage to your fittings prop and perhaps even shaft.
And what about holding tanks.. if there are any deficiencies in these, replacing them will decimate the lovely interior as most are installed well before the cabinets an soles go in.. Mine needed replacing. It would be unusual for a model of this vintage to have any grey or black water holding tanks, the lack of may seriously limit your cruising grounds.
I'm a fan of saving these lovely lady's. but it is a labor of love and not an inexpensive way to safely get out on the water..
If it were free, and you had an inexpensive place to work on her, and the time skills and a lot of $ I might consider it..
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2024, 08:24   #123
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
My 1978 CT 48 had a full 3rd of her chain plate bolts were brocken and not visible.. I only found out when I started replacing the chainplates of which 2 have visible cracks.. My wood mast seemed ok on a cursory look, but we're not.. I replaced with aluminum and of course the standing riging. I have never heard of a CT of this vintage that didn't have fairly extensive deck core issues.. Without a haul-out it will be hard to ascertain if you have the feared hull blisters, and to know the state of your underwear metal.. I might assume that the zincs are long gone and as such, damage to your fittings prop and perhaps even shaft.
And what about holding tanks.. if there are any deficiencies in these, replacing them will decimate the lovely interior as most are installed well before the cabinets an soles go in.. Mine needed replacing. It would be unusual for a model of this vintage to have any grey or black water holding tanks, the lack of may seriously limit your cruising grounds.
I'm a fan of saving these lovely lady's. but it is a labor of love and not an inexpensive way to safely get out on the water..
If it were free, and you had an inexpensive place to work on her, and the time skills and a lot of $ I might consider it..
Well hull blister issues have been dealt with previously . The current owners diver is a friend of mine the zines have been changed regularly. The water tanks likely will need replaced the fuel tank is good . I would be removing the black water tanks wet heads and all hoses I'm a big fan of composting toilets. If he gives her to me yes I have cheap location for doing the work. The materials for most of the repairs it needs come with it.
Thanks for the heads up on chainplates .
Now if I can convince him he doesn't want to pay moorage and insurance anymore.
Old 24-07-2024, 21:15   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Well done then.. Sounds like you may have a fun project coming up..
Best of luck wirh it and hope you enjoy the process.. I sure did!!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote