Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2013, 06:35   #1

Enter to Win a Custom Sunbrella Mainsail Cover!

Hey everyone,

At W Marine Canvas we are celebrating our "grand opening" by giving away a Sunbrella sail-cover. You can enter to win on our website and you don't have to be local to the Annapolis area to win!

Come on over and check it out:
Sailcover Drawing Entry
Our Blog
Our Portfolio

Thanks!

Alan Woodyard
W Marine Canvas
326 First St. Suite 101
Annapolis, MD 21403
WMarineCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 02:52   #2

Re: Enter to Win a Custom Sunbrella Mainsail Cover!

I entered. Thank you for that. But with anything Sunbrella, what warrantee do you provide?
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 06:16   #3

Quote:
I entered. Thank you for that. But with anything Sunbrella, what warrantee do you provide?
Richard5, the way that you ask that it makes me think that you have been burned in the past by a shop/person, is that true?

Glen Raven, the company that makes Sunbrella provides a 10-year material warranty on all Sunbrella marine fabrics installed after 2008, prior to that it was 5 years. Also, for all of my new canvas fabrications I will provide warranty service for up to two years, beyond that it is judged on a case-by-case basis. Overall, my warranty is a common sense type of warranty and I think that I fall on the side of being more than fair when it comes to a question of whether something is warranty work or repair.

Just out of curiosity was there an implication in your question that Sunbrella is an inherently problematic product that one would need to pay especially close attention as to what sort of warranty was included?
Old 18-01-2013, 04:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
what warrantee do you provide?

Waitaminit...

These cats are giving out a free sailcover and you ask about the warranty? G.Zeus!
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 01:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMarineCanvas View Post
Richard5, the way that you ask that it makes me think that you have been burned in the past by a shop/person, is that true?

Glen Raven, the company that makes Sunbrella provides a 10-year material warranty on all Sunbrella marine fabrics installed after 2008, prior to that it was 5 years. Also, for all of my new canvas fabrications I will provide warranty service for up to two years, beyond that it is judged on a case-by-case basis. Overall, my warranty is a common sense type of warranty and I think that I fall on the side of being more than fair when it comes to a question of whether something is warranty work or repair.

Just out of curiosity was there an implication in your question that Sunbrella is an inherently problematic product that one would need to pay especially close attention as to what sort of warranty was included?
Yes, in the past I have had problems with some shops. No, I have not ever experienced a problem with Sunbrella, in fact I love the material and without hesitation would recommend it.

I think your warranty for fabrication is good and sensible. Given how you present yourself I would do business with you. I remain loyal to conscientious craftsmen. Thank you for your response.
Old 19-01-2013, 02:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Waitaminit...

These cats are giving out a free sailcover and you ask about the warranty? G.Zeus!
I merely asked a question. Humans are not infallible, I desired to have information of how it is resolved when problems may arise. I am completely satisfied with the answer received.

There is intrinsic value in product or service received. Sometimes "free" is not worth the horse it rode in on. This is representative of some past experiences I have had. This should not in any way be construed to speak of the offer here. Doing business is largely relationship-based. It was to that end which I asked.
Old 19-01-2013, 21:20   #7

Quote:
Yes, in the past I have had problems with some shops. No, I have not ever experienced a problem with Sunbrella, in fact I love the material and without hesitation would recommend it.

I think your warranty for fabrication is good and sensible. Given how you present yourself I would do business with you. I remain loyal to conscientious craftsmen. Thank you for your response.
Understood Richard5, not a problem. I certainly understand that especially in an industry where the barrier to entry as far as tools are concerned is relatively low there tend to be a constant crop of fly-by-night operations. Like houseflies the disreputable shops don't last long but there is always someone else to replace them. I guess you could say the same for a lot of marine industry shops/businesses.

Cheers.
Old 20-01-2013, 08:59   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

A freebee, brilliant, thanks Alan

One question, we have in mast reefing so don't actually need a sail cover. Could use a 11m launching chute for a cruising chute instead though, is this an option?

Regards

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 17:42   #9

Quote:
One question, we have in mast reefing so don't actually need a sail cover. Could use a 11m launching chute for a cruising chute instead though, is this an option?
Pete7 thanks for your question. I wish that I could offer an option like this but unfortunately cruising chute socks like you are referring to are extremely labor-intensive when made one-by-one. Companies like ATN are able to offer much lower prices than I ever would be able to on something like that and because of that I can't really offer that as an option. Sorry about that, maybe a future promotion will be something that you might be interested in!

Thanks again.
Old 21-01-2013, 14:00   #10
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In that case, Pete, if you win the cover I'll send you my dimensions!!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 17:15   #11

Boat: Yamaha 33

Hi Alan,

I'm a little disappointed that I must "like" your company on Facebook in order to enter. I regard "liking" as an endorsement. Since I have no experience with your company, I couldn't in good conscious endorse you on Facebook.

Perhaps I misunderstood and having a Facebook account is not a requirement for entry?

Mike
MerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 18:13   #12

Boat: Haida 26

Thank You, for this opportunity to possibility to win a Sail Cover. I bow to your generosity....Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 18:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerMike View Post
Hi Alan,

I'm a little disappointed that I must "like" your company on Facebook in order to enter. I regard "liking" as an endorsement. Since I have no experience with your company, I couldn't in good conscious endorse you on Facebook.

Perhaps I misunderstood and having a Facebook account is not a requirement for entry?

Mike
It looks like you can enter by logging in with your Facebook account OR email address.

That said, I too used to be concerned about 'liking' something before seeing what the heck it was, but these days folks who use FB realize 'liking' something isn't really an endorsement. It just means the FB fanpage has a 'reveal' page.
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 18:29   #14

Boat: Yamaha 33

Thanks for the clarification. Still don't trust FB.

Good luck with your business Alan!
MerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 18:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerMike View Post
Hi Alan,

Mike
Mike, I apologize for any confusion. I really am not in any way pushing people to use Facebook in order to enter, as I don't have my own IT department I chose to use a third party widget to run the giveaway (also not affiliated with Facebook). As I am sure you have noticed the Facebook login has become a widely used authorization mechanism although I don't use it on other sites myself. For some people Facebook's walled garden represents their gateway to the web just as AOL was for some people years ago. Anyway, some people like Facebook login because it's easy, those people can use that. Other people may prefer email and that has been accommodated as well. Thanks for the feedback and good luck to everyone!

Tags
mainsail