Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 16:48   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: iPad Ships Log Book

The problem with iPad is getting access anywhere. The only good connection I get is in my own home with the wireless router. I have the bbx at the marina but it's so slow the page times out before I can get online.

I even had Verizon for a month and the only time I got connected was out of my home paying the fee. Wifi seems almost useless to me for boating unless one has a booster antenna and repeater.

Is it my iPad or is this normal for all iPads?
Old 08-12-2012, 16:56   #17

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
The problem with iPad is getting access anywhere. The only good connection I get is in my own home with the wireless router. I have the bbx at the marina but it's so slow the page times out before I can get online.

I even had Verizon for a month and the only time I got connected was out of my home paying the fee. Wifi seems almost useless to me for boating unless one has a booster antenna and repeater.

Is it my iPad or is this normal for all iPads?
I have an iPad2 with both wifi & Verizon cellular 3G that I can activate on a month-to-month basis. I find my ability to access the internet is no better or worse than with my laptops. Overall, I'd say the internet access is excellent.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 17:40   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

If you want an electronic log just for your personal use then excellent. It is not a legal document though unless it is on bound and numbered paper. One of the ideas of a legal log is so that it cannot be altered without the alterations being apparent. I would call an electronic log more of a personal journal. It is good idea to have a legal log if you are going overseas. When authorities overseas want to see where you have been and when, there will be no dispute that your log entries have been altered.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 17:56   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
If you want an electronic log just for your personal use then excellent. It is not a legal document though unless it is on bound and numbered paper. One of the ideas of a legal log is so that it cannot be altered without the alterations being apparent. I would call an electronic log more of a personal journal. It is good idea to have a legal log if you are going overseas. When authorities overseas want to see where you have been and when, there will be no dispute that your log entries have been altered.
Does the electronic log allow you to make changes?

It sounds like the electronic one will be the way things will be done when I get a boat. I hope the foreign countries will keep up.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 18:06   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Does the electronic log allow you to make changes?

It sounds like the electronic one will be the way things will be done when I get a boat. I hope the foreign countries will keep up.
I don't know. It probably depends on the software. The problem will be trying to convince the local authorities that an electronic log cannot be altered, regardless of what the software says.

Ask yourself this, should they also accept an electronic Certificate of Documentation if such a thing existed?

See my point? It is so easy to get a paper log. With it being so universally accepted then why set yourself up for a potential huge hassle? Wouldn't it be a bit arrogant to expect others to keep up with how you think things should be, especially in less developed countries?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 22:20   #21

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

If I could only get my iPad to do as they advertise.

Old 09-12-2012, 00:12   #22

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

I have limited experience of maritime officials but I have travelled widely in third world countries and I find it laughable what minor officials (especially local cops or militia) will accept as a document.

As a matter of principal I rarely use original documents because I have had an experience of them being mysteriously "lost" until I handed over a number of dollars. So I always use photocopies in the first instance unless originals are absolutely demanded and they are almost always accepted without question.
mausgras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:00   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile

Yes & no. Unless you have the ability to access the internet offshore, you would have to wait until the next port to gain access to iCloud.
Irony doesn't seem to cross oceans LOL

Dave
Old 09-12-2012, 01:21   #24
Nearly an old salt

I've seen electronic logs on ships there always was a direct logging printout.

For example in Europe if you log is demanded ( which is rare) its needs to be a bound ( not spiral or ring bound) book .
Dave
Old 09-12-2012, 02:47   #25

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Yes & no. Unless you have the ability to access the internet offshore, you would have to wait until the next port to gain access to iCloud.
I believe the Yellow Brick tracking system allows you to upload short messages/logs via satellite now.
mausgras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:18   #26
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

For example in Europe if you log is demanded ( which is rare) its needs to be a bound ( not spiral or ring bound) book .
Dave
Are you talking about commercial vessels ?

I didn't think there was any requirement to keep a log for sailing boats, but if one is available the info can be used legally. In UK anyway.

I recently was boarded by UK customs, they didn't mention the log being ring bound. (School book from Brazil, should last another decade )

Perhaps interesting to the discussion, they were very interested in the boat not having a single marina invoice printout for the 2 years since I'd left the Caribbean, everything was electronic. By the time i remembered the downloads on the laptop it was too late, they had the bit between their teeth and were searching every locker. So print outs of anything might come in handy.

Also I've started playing around with the konni log feature on opencpn - PlugIns | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Handy way for creating crew lists & ships info docs even without using the log feature.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:40   #27
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair

Are you talking about commercial vessels ?

I didn't think there was any requirement to keep a log for sailing boats, but if one is available the info can be used legally. In UK anyway.

Interesting Solas V provisions that apply to all craft in the UK leisure or not, require that the skipper make certain records in the log book , ( decisions not give assistance etc) this is law. So by extension it would seem you have to have a log " book". It's worth noting your gmdss radio license requires the keeping of a written radio log you maintain that , right !

On France and in many EU countries a log book is required , irrespective of your flag.

Dave
Old 09-12-2012, 07:02   #28

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickymicky View Post
Hi All,

I have been using a new iPad log Book called "iLog Sailing Companion", I use it for all my routine watch keeping records as well as other key onboard info.

One of the iLog Sailing features is a journey map with icons for each log entry , the map used is a pre loaded map which comes with the ipad. Does anyone have experience loading or running navigation charts onto an iPad.

It would be nice to see my routine Log entries overlay on a nautical chart along with key Navigation info. When you save a Log entry in iLog sailing, it creates a symbolic flag on the chart showing date / time and if you touch it via the ipad screen the full log entry is visible so its nice to do manual checks on position fix etc.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks Mick
The team behind the app is very responsive. I had an issue with it on the version of iOS that my version one iPad runs. They replicated the bug and fixed it in a couple of days. A week later, it was in my iTunes upgrade queue. I agree that the maintenance features are a real plus. I look forward to using the spares storage feature as well since I often find myself spending more time trying to find something than doing the actual repair. Yes, I could create my own spreadsheets, but it's worth $10 to me to have someone else create the fields and maintain the app.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 01:22   #29
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Catalina 387

Hi,

I have the ipad with built in 4G modem / GPS antenna and I have no issues with connection for coastal cruising. Agree on the earlier comment that you will need to be in port or good coastal reception to use icloud which means you should be backed up at the start of a new journey.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
iLog Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 13:50   #30
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey there, iLog Sailing... welcome aboard our vendor community I'm off to check out how awesome your product is right now!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad