Old 26-03-2013, 11:06   #1

Boat: Mariner (N.H.), Sloop, 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Tory Salvia
Own "With Jean du Sud Around the World"

With Jean du Sud Around the World
98-minute cruising documentary
V
ideo Download $9.99 | DVD $19.95 + s&h

TheSailingChannel is honored to offer what many consider to be the finest sailing film ever made. In attempting to sail non–stop between Saint-Malo and Gaspé through the Roaring Forties and around Cape Horn alone aboard his Alberg 30, Jean-du-Sud, Canadian Yves Gélinas added his exceptional adventure to the art of sailing a small boat around the world.

To self-steer his boat, Yves invented and built his own wind vane system, known today as the Cape Horn Integrated Self-Steering System, and used by thousands of sailors to steer their vessels across oceans.

Even though Yves was unable to complete the circumnavigation non-stop, Jean-du-Sud was the smallest boat up to that time to sail that route. In acknowledgement, the Joshua Slocum Society International bestowed on Gélinas the Golden Circle Award.
"I had a lot of time to meditate – the phone did not ring often – but I must say I haven’t had any great revelations, I did not experience nirvana or samadhi. Yet I have known many moments of total contentment: ends of days when the sun dove into the sea splashing half the sky with warm light... The trade wind caressing naked skin (it is almost as good as if it came from a loved one)… The simple pleasure of watching the bow of my boat slice through the surface of the sea, pushed, but also guided by an invisible force: the magic of the wind…."
Yves Gélinas
WINNER
Palme d'Or (unanimous jury)
La Rochelle International Film Festival
(France, October 1983)

Tory Salvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 19:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lyle C. Hess owner built 29'6" cutter
Re: Own "With Jean du Sud Around the World"

This is one of my favorite historical cruising videos. Right up there with Irving Johnson's Rounding Cape Horn on the old Square-rigger. I hear you hope to have the original BBC movie made by Eric and Susan Hiscock re-mastered and available soon. We'll be your first customers.
Lin Pardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 06:00   #3

Boat: gozzard 44
Re: Own "With Jean du Sud Around the World"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Pardey View Post
This is one of my favorite historical cruising videos. Right up there with Irving Johnson's Rounding Cape Horn on the old Square-rigger. I hear you hope to have the original BBC movie made by Eric and Susan Hiscock re-mastered and available soon. We'll be your first customers.
Hiscock's 'Beyond the West Horizon' runs 90 minutes and is enjoyable to watch once you download it. Too bad it's not available as a DVD.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote