Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 08:03   #31

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40
This is my installation to connect to a Raymarine backbone and an ICOM VHF radio for direct DSC calling. I uses the WM screen as a bridge which is great as a very low energy anchor alarm. Use it every day. Never gets switched off. Makes 4800 and 38400 on the same channel/to the same device unnecessary. I printed the cable connections on paper, glided it to Simone plywood and mounted a connector bar on it for ease of installation and potential later trouble shooting when things start to corrode after years of salt air.

I am in the process of installing the 12 buzzer alarm into my cabin connected to the BUZ+ connector top middle in the installation picture. The buzzer is lower frequency than most as with age one does not hear the high pitch sound anymore. I often do not hear one of the many buzzers even when near by. My wife has to tell me. I guess all young guys who decide in the frequency of the buzzers or it is a matter of larger sizer for lower frequencies. Definitely something the designers should consider.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1741072238.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	76812   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4200099355.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	76813  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-152180855.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	76814  
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 11:55   #32

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Vesper Marine AIS

Pleased you think its useful S/V Alchemy! PC based systems are what I have the most experience with, and what I use personally. The PC is the heart of my install, and talks to everything via NMEA,ethernet, wifi and bluetooth. If you need a hand with anything, please don't hesitate to contact me. Doesn't matter if you don't want to purchase anything (although it would be nice if you did!!) always happy to talk boats!
Old 27-02-2014, 07:46   #33

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Pleased you think its useful S/V Alchemy! PC based systems are what I have the most experience with, and what I use personally. The PC is the heart of my install, and talks to everything via NMEA,ethernet, wifi and bluetooth. If you need a hand with anything, please don't hesitate to contact me. Doesn't matter if you don't want to purchase anything (although it would be nice if you did!!) always happy to talk boats!
Thanks for the offer...Let's keep fingers crossed that I can get my boat reno finished and I'll sail to NZ for a proper review of what I've made needlessly complicated. First rum's on me.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 15:26   #34
Marine Service Provider

Hi

Just wanted to interject and clarify one statement that Jeff made is wrong.....for the other statements you will have to decide for yourself ;-)

"the WiFi implementation in other products, like the DY, use insecure ad-hoc mode only. This means only one device can connect. If you have more than one tablet, phone, computer you can't use them all at the same time."

We originally did only support Ad-Hoc mode on our wireless products. We were the first company to market with a wireless NMEA product (our iAIS) and Ad-Hoc seemed to be a good solution at that time. Contrary to Jeff's statement, you can have more than one device connected in an Ad-Hoc network and it is the network protocol (TCP or UDP) that decides whether one device or all of the devices on the network receive the data.

For the past two years we have been supporting multiple (up to seven) devices all receiving the same data (using UDP protocol) and last season we changed to Access Point mode to allow Android devices to connect (Android does not support Ad-Hoc)

We intentionally did not introduce wireless encryption (WEP/WPA/WPA2) as we felt this added a level of complication the system did not require and if someone else really wanted to see your NMEA data, then what harm does it do ? Besides when you are sailing, no other boat will be within your wireless network's range.

OK - good to get that off my chest and in general I am not against companies blowing their own trumpets on forums, but please get your facts right about your competitors.
Paul_DY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 15:41   #35
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Paul_DY, which company are you talking about ? Do you have a product that competes with the XB8000 and where all functions can be performed with a Linux based computer (including transponder configuration)?
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 15:46   #36
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_DY View Post
We originally did only support Ad-Hoc mode on our wireless products.
Sorry Paul if my information was out of date. I appreciate the update and stand corrected.
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:09   #37

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I'll say one thing: this thread is more civilized than one involving anchors and anchor vendors.

Jeff and Paul (who may wish to change his status to "vendor" to avoid confusion), you both make excellent products that are on the cutting edge of both innovation and, if anecdotes are to be given credence, reliability and ease of use for venturesome cruisers looking for AIS transponder solutions.

I've been following your products for some time, and although they differ in some respect, I'd be happy to have either aboard my vessel. And I'm rather picky that way. Please, both of you, continue to contribute as I'm sure we sorry addledpated sailors are learning a great deal, even if we sometimes struggle to keep up.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 17:30   #38

Boat: PETERSON 44

I have input at 4800 and out put at 38400 that's on the chartplotter. Could use nmea 2000 and reset the 0182 ports. The watchmate has out put ports too. So multiple choices on how to run the data.
These guys keep updating and making the software better. Now get that anchor alarm to the app guys.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 20:42   #39
Marine Service Provider

Just a follow-up to the question regarding Linux support for our vmAIS configuration utility. We now have a version available for Ubuntu 12.04, or later.

We'd like to get a few more people to try it out. So, if any Vesper Marine owners are running Ubuntu and would like a copy, let us know via an email to support@vespermarine.com
Old 11-01-2015, 07:18   #40

Boat: Leopard 38 Cat "Alesto 2"

I just installed Garmin AIS 600 that feeds older Garmin 3210 plotter via NMEA 0183 high speed. On the second day it shows more than the first, is it loading code to the plotter? Plotter has never had software update, that would require spare chart chip. The plotter displays vessels but 4 out of 5 say "unknown vessel". Is there a problem with my unit, or do many recreational boaters not program their AIS units?
leehaefele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 10:18   #41

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrobbins View Post
Just a follow-up to the question regarding Linux support for our vmAIS configuration utility. We now have a version available for Ubuntu 12.04, or later.

We'd like to get a few more people to try it out. So, if any Vesper Marine owners are running Ubuntu and would like a copy, let us know via an email to support@vespermarine.com
Good job on the Android APP ! I hope you are planning to bring those features to I Things as well. Good Idea displaying data in the APP.

Do you think that NMEA183 -> NMEA2000 translation of navigation data will ever happen ? I would like to be able to update my NMEA2000 instruments from my ships computer running OpenCPN.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 00:05   #42
Marine Service Provider

Thanks and I'm glad you like the new Android app. We're now working on an update to the iPad app which should be out soon. But I'm not certain if instrument displays will make it into this next update.

And yes we're still going to be doing the 0183->N2K conversions for navigation stuff like waypoints, routes and A/P control. We've just got a lot on our plate right at the moment but we're very keen to have it. Thanks for your patience!
Old 26-01-2015, 00:57   #43

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

Hi Jeff,
I just installed our XB-8000 and I'm very impressed so far. The VSWR meter has been really handy in diagnosing a problem with our VHF cable. I know you are hard at work on updating the firmware. Is there a possibility that an API could be included. Or even your endusers could program in some of the PGN conversions.

I'm also involved in OpenCPN and use it constantly. It would be great if your device would be a little more open. I considered using my PC as a dedicated chart plotter and using the XB as the gateway to the NMEA network. I'm still holding out hope. Except for VHF and the backup chart plotter our boat is completely N2K. And it looks like it will be some time before OpenCPN gets there.

--Joe
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 10:24   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Ok...I got the part where they are technically from NZ. Can you tell me where they are made?.
Quote:
They're manufactured by Vesper Marine in New Zealand and they are not made from someone else's design, modules, etc.
See post #4.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 21:49   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardie View Post
Is there a possibility that an API could be included. Or even your endusers could program in some of the PGN conversions.
Yes, there is currently an API. However, we are changing and extending it a lot in the next release so we haven't made it available to others yet. Stay tuned...

But adding additional PGN<-->0183 conversions requires firmware updates within the units and isn't something that endusers would be doing via API.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardie View Post
I considered using my PC as a dedicated chart plotter and using the XB as the gateway to the NMEA network.
I'm very interested to learn more about what's missing to make this happen.

Tags
marine, ais