Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 22:41   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Flicka 20
Asa classes

Hi all,

Wondering what people think about the importance of Asa training/classes.

Thanks
Sqelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 23:13   #2

Boat: Lord Nelson 35
Re: Asa classes

I think quality courses are always good. You can either learn the harder way (by yourself) or learn from someone with experience. I've taken up through ASA106. My $0.02.
Steve Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 18:53   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Very good in my opinion but you should not limit yourself to ASA. USSailing does the same classes and there probably other outfits out there that do too.
If you just want classroom training and not on the water then USCG Auxiliary and U. S. Power Squadron offer classes too.
kind regards,
Old 05-04-2013, 19:30   #4

Boat: Hobie Cat

Well worth the investment. Prepares you for standards expected of course, and gives you the confidence needed if experience is lacking. Just finished ASA114 and am very well prepared for our bareboat excursion in Bahamas in June.
twalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 19:45   #5

Boat: Leopard 40
For me, I had very little experience other than sailing small 14 - 16 ft. boats. After taking 101, 103, 104 & the catamaran course, reading many books, talking to as many experienced sailors as I could, I felt the classes helped with the new language and gave me the basic skills I needed to sail safely. Learning every time I step foot on my boat, but the main thing for me is that ASA classes helped my confidence. Good luck!
cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 20:00   #6

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

I did ASA 101 and 103 for $635 and got 35 hours on the water over five days with four other sailors and an instructor on a Beneteau 37 that charters for $365 per day during the week and it made me and my insurance company happy.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 14:45   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

It should also be mentioned that some charter companies won't allow you to take out their boats without some type of formal training.
kind regards,
Old 13-04-2013, 02:03   #8

Boat: HR 34
Re: Asa classes, some comments from across the water

I hope that you do not mind if a foreigner interjects some thoughts and queries.

I do not know how the system operates in the US. For example, is a certificate issued by ASA obligatory before you take a boat out to sea? That is the case in some countries although not the UK. The RYA view is that compulsory certification leads to people taking the test in a perfunctory manner just to get the bit of paper. We have seen examples of this in some European countries. The RYA prefers that sailors take their courses because they (the sailors) have a genuine interest in learning.

My son and grandson have just done a short high intensity course in the US. I understand that they have some form of ASA certificate as a result. My impression was that the course was very detailed in some ways – such as symbols on charts. There was a part on tidal and current calculations. However, it did not seem to be as wide ranging as the shore based component of the UK RYA Yachtmaster syllabus - see RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Shorebased: UKSA.org.

Of course, my particular interest is the weather and the course seemed to make no reference to getting or using forecasts. Nor did there seem to be any reference to radio communications. I was surprised that there was nothing on electronic navigation.

The full Yachtmaster Offshore syllabus is at http://www.hamble.co.uk/pdf/rya-trai...m-syllabus.pdf. As will be seen, this involves a practical test, going to sea with an examiner as well as having a number of hours sea time. In those courses, First aid is often taught and examined separately as is VHF/DSC use.

The ocean going equivalent is at http://www.hamble.co.uk/pdf/rya-trai...-syllabus.pdf/
franksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 04:18   #9

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Ask yourself this...without seamanship/hands-on background how are you going to prove to a charter company that you can sail and handle a pricey boat? In aviation, before leasing an aircraft, you get to go with an instructor for a "check ride" and your log book and medical certificate get reviewed. If you do not have anyone to teach you the basics, taking some hands-on classes is the way to start. Have fun! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 05:45   #10

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

The ASA courses I've taken were very valuable to me as a new boat owner. Not only were my insurance rates lowered, I learned a tremendous amount that a lifetime of sailing smaller boats owned by others did not teach me. I agree with SkiprJohn, by the way. There are other sailing schools out there, which can also provide you with worthwhile skills and knowledge, not to mention the fun of sailing with experienced folks. I very much enjoyed a "Performance Cruising" course I took with JWorld in Key West, for example.

Best of luck with your sailing adventures.
Old 13-04-2013, 06:20   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
A few comments as an ASA instructor:

ASA and US Sail offer similair courses. ASA is more cruising oriented and US Sail is more racing oriented.

ASA offers a Cruising Catamaran class (114). US Sail does not.

Weather. This thread is posted under "weather" so I assume some interest. Completed my instructor level cert for the ASA weather class last year -- it was intense -- worth it to me just for the weather knowledge. Student level class follows similar outline just not quite so in-depth.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote