Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 07:37   #1

BOAT PRICES

Any thoughts on the impact of this storm on boat prices? Seems one could think they will jump with the demand for replacements in both new and used boats?
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:04   #2

Re: BOAT PRICES

Hard to say I suppose. I would think new or near new boat prices for replacement charter boats might stay very firm. Used boats, may have no effect. So many sitting unused anyway.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
So many sitting unused anyway.
This was my first thought. I'm going to guess that a whole lot of owners are going to be very glad to get whatever they can from the insurance company, and then will have no interest at all in replacing the boat that they were never using before anyway.

Time will tell.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:40   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

many cane boats are trash., some are gems. after katrina someone in biloxi, mississippi found a durbeck 47 in a tree about 62 or so miles inland., bought the boat for damned cheap and got a helluva deal.. only thing destroyed was sprit and that was easily enough replaced and ta daa perfect cruising boat. awesome find.
unfortunately, for the most part the cane boats have been grabbed by a greedy salvor to flip with crap repairs. be wary and check all out well. hopefully you find the durbeck not a clapped out ford
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:42   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I imagine some boat owners may decide to get out of boating and some who have been thinking about it, may be having second thoughts, not just because of the risk of losing a boat to a storm but marina issues, increasing insurance costs, damage to cruising areas, etc.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:00   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

My theory is that we’ll see a larger than normal dip in prices this fall and winter, a larger than normal spike in the spring, and then beyond that – who knows?

Why the dip? Newport Boat Show starts in one week, Annapolis in 4. People are going to be very reticent to buy with the devestation so fresh in their minds. New buyers will be skittish about jumping in. Buyers who lost boats to the storm and want to replace them won’t be squared up with their insurers. Even buyers in the affected areas with strong stomachs and ready money will not have infrastructure and services to support them.

The spike will come as infrastructure comes back online. Even if only a fraction of the destroyed boats get replaced, there will be a demand for clean, solid, unscathed boats once the buyers who won’t be deterred are confident enough to get back in the market.

The longer term uncertainty comes in with how long it takes (and whether) the devastated areas recover to what they once had been, and how insurers, boat builders, charter companies react as this all gets sorted.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:24   #7

It is not so much price that i care about, as the sailboat having gone through either Harvey or Irma. Meaning shoddy repairs to get it on the market.

I saw two sailboats for sale right before Harvey and Irma that fit the bill for me, in price, size and included accessories.

One was in Corpus C. and the other in southern Florida.

Not so sure i want to go looking any more, meaning forever.
A person could never find out about the past history of it going through either storm.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, price