Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 08:46   #16
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Ok, since this is the weather section. What factors ( short term, no climate change stuff please) allowed this typhoon to get so massive?
Some stuff here...

http://m.livescience.com/41025-typho...nse-storm.html

Haiyan got so strong because "it has everything working for it," McNoldy said. First, it formed in the open ocean, and thus no land mass prevented it from forming a symmetrical circular pattern, which helps a cyclone form and gather steam, he said.
Second, ocean temperatures are incredibly warm, topping out at 86 degrees Fahrenheit (30 degrees Celsius). Just as important, the warm water also extends deep into the ocean, meaning that upwelling caused by the winds will not churn up cold water, which dampens cyclone power, McNoldy said. Tropical cyclones are basically giant heat engines, powered by the transfer of heat from the ocean to the upper atmosphere.
Third, there is very little wind shear in the area at this time, McNoldy said. Wind shear, a difference in wind speed or direction with increasing altitude, tears developing hurricanes apart, and prevents them from strengthening. Wind shear caused by westerly winds is the main reason why the Atlantic hurricane season featured few strong storms, and got off to a late start, weather experts say.

But not really possible to ignore completely climate change , the oceans are getting warmer, the Pacific not just on the surface either.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:48   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
About 1 million plastic bags are used every minute. Could your office use unlined containers. Meaning that they don't use plastic bags.
+1. It is sad to consider the mess we make. I live outside LA & watch container ship after container ship bring tons of stuff (much of which plastic cheap crap that goes to Dollar stores to entice people who buy what they don't really need) to be shipped across country.

We are usually preaching to the choir about what we can do to consume less. Boats, by nature, limit the amount of stuff we can have (& don't have to buy happiness since we live happy lives ) I don't always try to spread the word of living simply- but live it.

It's hard to discuss what happened with the typhoon without discussing possible causes. I've witnessed the strength of gale force winds with high seas but I can't even imagine anything like that typhoon. It is beyond my imagination. I hope we hear from CF members in that region and a all are safe.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:18   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Catastrophic weather

Quote:
NoTies posted: Suffice to say I feel your opportunism is below contempt and I wish you would go away.
Sorry you feel that way NoTies, but I ain't going away. I am on this forum to help Cruisers and Sailors in any way I can.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:33   #19
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Feet View Post
Calm down NoTies, since when is sharing information and points of view so offensive? The reality is a lot of people (especially in so called 1st world countries) live in total denial about what humans are doing to the planet. You can argue until blue in the face about climate change but you'd have to be pretty dumb to think that we can just keep pumping crap into the atmosphere with no ill effect. It's only when we get these sort of weather events that the people living happily in the suburbs using resources like there's no tomorrow might sit up and pay attention. Only when we stop trying to deny what is so plainly evident can we as a world population do something effective about it. So swear away and keep your head in the sand, it's not your generation's problem anyway.
I accept the reality of climate change better than most. What I can't accept is using this disaster as a mouthpiece for the IPCC and their quacks.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:54   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Here is an interesting explanation as to why the destruction was so bad. Seems a lot of it has to do with the geography, i.e. the bay where it made landfall. Also, the fact there happen to be a city in the wrong spot.

Why so many people died from Haiyan and past southeast Asia typhoons

Actually, though it sounds callous I know, the loss of life may not be that bad. Based on the current estimates we are hearing (10,000) the storm may not make the top 35, and not many of those are in the past century.

Deadliest World Tropical Cyclones | Weather Underground
Old 11-11-2013, 15:57   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

The extent of human suffering doesn't stop at the immediate loss of life. There are over a million people directly affected by this storm and I am sure many more wounded than actually died. If medical, food, water and shelter aid doesn't reach those people very soon there will be an even greater loss of life and untold human suffering.

I was struck by a young woman lying on wreckage on a floor who had just given birth. This was in a make shift aid center. Conditions are horrible.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 16:15   #22

The increase in ocean temperatures is a big factor in changing weather around the world. It also causes more evaporation and bigger storms. I'm not sure how well we really understand the oceans and if people around the world would work together in the short term to fix the pollution issues, but more and more of these storms will continue to hit. Maybe there are more people living in the path of storms now, or that buildings aren't being built as strong as they need to be. But, this was a horrific event, and there will need to be some major changes sooner or later.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 19:10   #23

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
The question becomes what you wish to achieve.
Are you gathering support or broadcasting a point of view.

About 1 million plastic bags are used every minute.
Could your office use unlined containers. Meaning that they don't use plastic bags.
At my facilities we are switching over to dry trash unlined containers in our office spaces. Reduced expense by 10 thousand dollars in liners.
One way to reduce emissions and costs.
The U.S. goes through 100 billion plastic shopping bags annually at an estimated cost to retailers of $4 billion. (The Wall Street Journal)
Every square mile of ocean has about 46,000 pieces of plastic floating in it.
So I just gave examples of why its beneficial to look at how you consume. With 1 solution to the issue.
You get to choose.
Just as an FYI the Philippines is one of the biggest abusers of plastic bags. I have a home there and it really sux to see how trash and sewer is dealt with.

But if you want to send donations go here and choose one of theses reputable charities. Anything else may just go in some politicians pocket. Act wisely!!!! They mostly need water, food, medical and clothes in that order. Housing is not a priority. It's an out door environment life style.
Old 11-11-2013, 19:53   #24

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Just to add another point; Typhoons are a common occurrence in PI. It's just this one was a little strong and south more then usual just like last years. Maybe they are moving farther south but history shows it's happened before.

File:Global tropical cyclone tracks-edit2.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Typhoons in the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tags
weather