Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2021, 11:40   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Changes in Tropical Cyclone Intensity & Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzaar View Post
I'm not wading far into this one, but why does everyone claim the experts all agree on something when they absolutely do not? ...
Why do you claim that "everyone claims the experts all agree on something when they absolutely do not?"
Do you see the irony, in your question?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 11:43   #47

Boat: Swan 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
Wonder why some non-scientists can always be found to question or criticize the collective work of qualified scientists well beyond their capacity to do so? Is it perhaps because of a reluctance to accept the validity of the warnings? An ostrich like approach?

Human caused climate change is obviously now proven to be real. Its effects on us living on the water will be the least of societie's worries. The very least we can do is vote for those taking the threat seriously enough to act.

Thanks for posting Gord.

Jim sv Gaia
No! Scientists do not agree. IPCC is following an agenda based on Climate Change through CO2 emissions. Nobody has proven that CO2 increases the temperature on earth. The "proof" is the "Climate Models" which can prove anything depending on what parameters you put into them. Values of CO2 in the atmosphere is often measured in Hawaii where the meteorological station is close to a leaking volcano.
Predictions of rising sea levels determined that the Maldives would be below the sea surface years ago. I have checked myself, the shoreline is still in its' old place. The coral reefs in Australia are absolutely fine.
The whole "Climate Change" agenda is a political tool with a multi facetted purpose. Do not buy it.
Hermia II is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 14:12   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
This topic is a waste of wind, me thinks. Changing minds is very difficult. Like politics and religion.

Agree. I also like to read the actual paper rather than a science news article summary of it. The news article summaries are often not accurate. However, it is not an easy thing to get a hold of the final paper.

This particular paper was a meta study based on 90 other peer reviewed papers. Done well, these meta studies can be great.
Chris31415 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 14:48   #49
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
In the past boats sailed over the top of Russia..

Unquestionably the most celebrated Russian explorer was Semyon Dezhnev, who, in 1648, sailed the entire length of present-day Russia along the Arctic coast. Rounding the Chukotsk Peninsula, Dezhnev passed through the Bering Sea and sailed into the Pacific Ocean .

That probes my point. Took him two years, lost four vessels before reaching the strait, and close to a hundred men.
Took Amundsen three years to sail the NW passage, and now is done in one season
Old 05-04-2021, 15:21   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Gord,

Thanks for that initial posting. I appreciate your efforts.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 15:33   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Changes in Tropical Cyclone Intensity & Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita View Post
That probes my point. Took him two years, lost four vessels before reaching the strait, and close to a hundred men.
Took Amundsen three years to sail the NW passage, and now is done in one season
Just goes to show how much boat building has improved..
Fin keels you know..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 16:08   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermia II View Post
No! Scientists do not agree. IPCC is following an agenda based on Climate Change through CO2 emissions. Nobody has proven that CO2 increases the temperature on earth. The "proof" is the "Climate Models" which can prove anything depending on what parameters you put into them. Values of CO2 in the atmosphere is often measured in Hawaii where the meteorological station is close to a leaking volcano.
Predictions of rising sea levels determined that the Maldives would be below the sea surface years ago. I have checked myself, the shoreline is still in its' old place. The coral reefs in Australia are absolutely fine.
The whole "Climate Change" agenda is a political tool with a multi facetted purpose. Do not buy it.
https://skepticalscience.com/co2-mea...ncertainty.htm
CO2 levels are measured by hundreds of stations scattered across 66 countries which all report the same rising trend.
Mauna Loa is often used as an example of rising carbon dioxide levels because its the longest, continuous series of directly measured atmospheric CO2. The reason why it's acceptable to use Mauna Loa as a proxy for global CO2 levels is because CO2 mixes well throughout the atmosphere. Consequently, the trend in Mauna Loa CO2 (1.64 ppm per year) is statistically indistinguishable from the trend in global CO2 levels (1.66 ppm per year). If global CO2 was used in Figure 1 above, the result "hockey stick" shape would be identical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	co2_10000_years.gif
Views:	112
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	235964  
cruising_ollie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 16:14   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Who is the Einstein of climate change?
Greta perhaps.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 16:20   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermia II View Post
https://earth.org/data_visualization...f%20its%20land.

Who predicted this "Predictions of rising sea levels determined that the Maldives would be below the sea surface years ago."

The Maldives, an island nation south of India, is extremely vulnerable to sea level rise. With 80% of the nation only around 1 metre above sea level, it is predicted that approximately 77% of its land area will be underwater by 2100. Measures have been taken by authorities to mitigate potential damages brought by sea level rise and extreme weather.
cruising_ollie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 16:33   #55

Montanans especially come March and April be like: "So what is all the hubbub about a few degrees improvement in the average annual temperature?"

Hey but Gord what's this report about hurricane's shifting closer towards the poles? Now that is so not welcome; we already have to deal from time to time with the Canadians spewing their polar vortexes towards us.

Dear Northern Friends: Please keep your cold air above the 49th parallel, thank you.

What happens if one mixes a polar vortex with a Category 5 tropical hurricane?

Nothing good, I am reckoning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	do not have hurricanes.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	235965  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 16:59   #56

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising_ollie View Post

Who predicted this "Predictions of rising sea levels determined that the Maldives would be below the sea surface years ago."

The Maldives, an island nation south of India, is extremely vulnerable to sea level rise. With 80% of the nation only around 1 metre above sea level, it is predicted that approximately 77% of its land area will be underwater by 2100. Measures have been taken by authorities to mitigate potential damages brought by sea level rise and extreme weather.
As stated, it often depends on whether one is seeking out a preordained conclusion, or whether one can put aside biases we all have and retain some objectivity.

"Recent research [Univ. of Plymouth in the UK] shows that low-lying coral islands rise naturally along with sea levels, as waves push sediment onto the land;

Sea walls that enclose islands may be doing more harm than good, by compromising their ability to adjust to rising sea levels."

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/trave...ing-sea-levels (citing Reuters)
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 17:02   #57

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbeen View Post
I have a fair bit of experience of cyclones. I have sailed through a couple, & sat out at least 10 in cyclone holes with up to 8 boats I was responsible for, along with their crews.

I have seen the resultant destruction to structures & to natural habitat. Thus I have a pretty fair idea of what vegetation looks like after different strength cyclones have passed through.

I am horrified to have to say that the current reported strength of cyclones is absolutely garbage. We see photos of areas after reported cat 4 & cat 5 have passed through, & the vegetation tells us the strength was at most mid range cat 3.

I hate to have top say we are being lied to by our weather authorities. We had a true cat 5 pass through the Whitsunday Islands of the great barrier reef a couple of years ago. Resorts are still destroyed, & not worth rebuilding. The vegetation told that story, as did the destruction of mans structures. Other earlier claims of Cat 4 & Cat 5 cyclones were total lies, with little destruction of buildings, & little damage to trees & other vegetation.

Global warming is a con job, & current cold winters will get colder & prove this fact, except for those who believe global warming gives colder winters.

THIS is exactly what I've been saying for years (see my previous post about how the US National Hurricane Center has been cooking the books). I've tracked many, many hurricanes. And, unfortunately, we have a $236K claim history from an alleged Category 4. It was maybe a 3.

Please NEVER underestimate the ability of a government to twist facts.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 18:36   #58

For those with an open mind to what's going on around us, there's another factor increasing the intensity of storms that hit the US coast.

Large hurricanes at sea churn up massive waves. This should bring cooler water to the surface which reduces the heat energy available and damps the storm some. The stronger the storm the larger the waves and the more damping. This would explains why so many Cat 3-5 storms at sea used to go down a category or two before they slammed into Florida. Category 1 hurricanes do little damage.

But now with climate change the water temperature has increased not just as the surface but 50ft down. The waves just bring up more warm water. For the last several years - especially in the the very warm Gulf - hurricanes have consistently come ashore at higher wind speeds than they had 24 hours earlier.

We've also seen a doubling of insurance prices for boats in Florida during hurricane season and the withdrawal of several major insurers - including Pantaenious US. Something has clearly changed.

It will be interesting to see if the pattern is repeated this year.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 19:27   #59

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising_ollie View Post

I'm guessing limiting development hasn't been one of the measures taken by authorities?

Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 20:02   #60

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Greta perhaps.

Greta or may be Al, both formidable scientists.

Although Einstein and his buddies did discover the path to the way mankind can wipe itself out much faster than MMCC courtesy of a a couple of rogue despots and zealots if they get their way.

Mind you if we did have a global nuclear war the remaining humans if any, would not have to worry about CO2 emissions, and instead of oil running out in 2050 it will last a lot longer.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
cal