Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2021, 03:57   #151

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Cost/Benefit Ratio of Offsoundings weather reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
I'm not going to reply to points in your posts where you edit INSIDE a quote. There is too much administrative work on my end which is rude and unfair.

I'm not set in my ways with respect to mission critical functions. I have used gribs. I have studied the application of gribs. Synoptic charts are better.

In my previous career I ran programs that included among many other things automated image processing. I know the limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
ummm... lots of good info here, but I'm just really impressed Auspicious knows how to use the word "grok" appropriately.
*grin* I couldn't think of a better verb than that for applying the information in 500 mb charts.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 07:42   #152

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
... When we started our crossing of the Indian Ocean we had to throw in the towel and buy an IridiumGo, as SSB connectivity is just too poor in this ocean and weather is really needed...
I am a bit curious about this comment. After you started across and discovered the poor SSB connectivity, how did you then buy an IridiumGo?

Perhaps reports from other cruisers were not positive enough to convince you.

We had good SSB connectivity and GRIB reception from Brunei nearly to Mauritius. When we lost Brunei we switched to Africa and picked up our GRIB files from Africa from then on.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:11   #153

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I am a bit curious about this comment. After you started across and discovered the poor SSB connectivity, how did you then buy an IridiumGo?

Perhaps reports from other cruisers were not positive enough to convince you.

We had good SSB connectivity and GRIB reception from Brunei nearly to Mauritius. When we lost Brunei we switched to Africa and picked up our GRIB files from Africa from then on.
We were warned by the prior year boats that crossed, Recent HF connections have not been good the past few years so comparing to a crossing years ago is not meaningful.
We lost the Brunei Sailmail station a few days out of Malaysia and did not pickup the South African one till well into the Mozambique Channel. I could get neither station while in Chagos.
Prior to the Indian Ocean all our offshore connectivity was via HF Sailmail with a little winlink.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ports, weather