Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2021, 06:31   #61

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Cost/Benefit Ratio of Offsoundings weather reports

OK so it was rude and personal attack for me to ask pointed questions of Stu highlighting how over the top his response was?

I'm still missing where I couldn't take anybody's response to what I wrote. Didn't notice or ignored, yes, couldn't take it no.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 07:10   #62

Boat: Cape Dory 30c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
My response to Stu was mockery for his over the top closing line which was essentially "Do it my way or you will die."

For DonR, I was calling him out for being rude and calling the OP ignorant and foolish. He says he made a mistake and left port during a storm 40yr ago. It sounds like his current position is an over-reaction to that. Not, the wanting all the wx info he can get and afford, but the being rude to those who don't automatically agree that getting all that info is of paramount importance.

Except for indicating that a shortwave receiver and WinMor were the best budget approach, I have not indicated my own opinions on what anyone should carry or what I would carry in the way of weather forecasting equipment or safety gear more generally.
I am the OP and confirm that Adelie in the quote above is expressing a clear and comprehensive understanding of my motivation in asking the question. I specified both the length and displacement of my boat, a Cape Dory 30c, and that after anchor chain (300' 1/4" G70) and freshwater (60 gallons) has limited but sufficient capacity for ocean travel. I need to make precise and prudent decisions regarding all other gear. I am budgeting 500 amp/hr of battery and unless I go lithium would only give me 200 amp/hr usable. Anyway thanks for the data. I received good stuff, but I think Adelie is doing a very good job moderating and I thank him for his support. I appreciate that hyperbole can be an effective rhetorical device but do not understand nor appreciate the sarcasm, rudeness and ridicule and thank Adelie for reaffirming that this forum is a good place to ask questions that unfortunately has members who need to improve their communication skills in order to respond with empathy rather than vitriol.
Mara Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 11:08   #63

Boat: Leopard 40

Can someone please tell me how you see storm cell clouds on the horizon in the dark?

Besides that, the whole “do you need to have it” argument is stupid. Anything that can make your passage safer, that you can afford, is a no brainer.
It’s like saying “do you need an engine to sail around the world?” The answer is “No” but yet everyone has one! Why? Because it helps make life easier!

Be that as it may, let’s hope Elon Musks Starlink makes it affordable and available to everyone. Let’s also hope he has enough competition to keep him honest!

You need to be be brain dead not to see the advantages of having regular weather updates.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 11:12   #64

On second thought, the same can be said for having radar, gps, autopilot….

You really don’t need them, but….
Old 16-10-2021, 11:38   #65

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
...Besides that, the whole “do you need to have it” argument is stupid. Anything that can make your passage safer, that you can afford, is a no brainer.
It’s like saying “do you need an engine to sail around the world?” The answer is “No” but yet everyone has one! Why? Because it helps make life easier!

You need to be be brain dead not to see the advantages of having regular weather updates.
When you have a limited pot of money for a cruise you need to decide how to divvy up the pot. Weather predictions are a safety item, so is having a life raft, an EPIRB, AIS, winevane self-steering, watermaker, .... each of which have their own costs and advantages.

The OP was trying to figure out what the cost-benefit for various levels of weather info is and decide where to draw his line so that he could afford the other safety items he wishes to have.

No, not everyone has an engine sailing around the world. Boat-Alexandra/SeanD went around engineless finishing up in the last several years. He periodically posts here.

There are a number of YouTube folks sailing with electric drives, that's not engineless but close.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 11:59   #66

Quote:
When you have a limited pot of money for a cruise you need to decide how to divvy up the pot. Weather predictions are a safety item, so is having a life raft, an EPIRB, AIS, winevane self-steering, watermaker, .... each of which have their own costs and advantages.

The OP was trying to figure out what the cost-benefit for various levels of weather info is and decide where to draw his line so that he could afford the other safety items he wishes to have.

No, not everyone has an engine sailing around the world. Boat-Alexandra/SeanD went around engineless finishing up in the last several years. He periodically posts here.

There are a number of YouTube folks sailing with electric drives, that's not engineless but close.
Ah crap, so there are always exceptions, but the very very vast majority have engines. But to quote one of the sailing purists…

“ Boothby also emphasizes that he’s not trying to create a movement or convince masses of cruisers to give up their trusty diesels.

“Having an engine is a safer and more practical way to go about cruising. These days diesel engines are very reliable; your sailing rig is subject to catastrophic breakages too,” ”

There have been some very good responses to the OP’s question, including reasons why having weather updates is important, they even provided great real world examples. They even provided great solutions to match various budgets yet still get reasonable weather updates.

Great advice all around.

Weather the OP chooses to learn from some great advice or follow their own thoughts, only time or the OP will tell.

Be that as it may, good luck to the OP.
Old 16-10-2021, 12:29   #67

Quote:
My response to Stu was mockery for his over the top closing line which was essentially "Do it my way or you will die."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Except it wasn't, so please, please, please, just stop.

I asked a question in response to the "Cost/benefit" question in the title of the thread. I asked: "What's your boat and life worth to you?" which would be in comparison to the cost of getting vital weather information, and only AFTER I pointed out differences between flying and sailing.

Please, just stop.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 12:42   #68

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
...You need to be be brain dead not to see the advantages of having regular weather updates.
Geez, We already have a stupid s**t fight about who'se calling who stupid or rude on this thread and you want to jump in and start another one?
Old 16-10-2021, 12:48   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Geez, We already have a stupid s**t fight about who'se calling who stupid or rude on this thread and you want to jump in and start another one?

Old 16-10-2021, 14:52   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Excellent point. I have tried three times now to offer paths to resolution. So now I am brain dead. I have been called some names before but stupid isn't often a top ten.
Old 16-10-2021, 14:56   #71

Quote:

The exact point of my OP.
Old 16-10-2021, 15:00   #72

Quote:
Ah crap, so there are always exceptions, but the very very vast majority have engines. But to quote one of the sailing purists…

“ Boothby also emphasizes that he’s not trying to create a movement or convince masses of cruisers to give up their trusty diesels.

“Having an engine is a safer and more practical way to go about cruising. These days diesel engines are very reliable; your sailing rig is subject to catastrophic breakages too,” ”

There have been some very good responses to the OP’s question, including reasons why having weather updates is important, they even provided great real world examples. They even provided great solutions to match various budgets yet still get reasonable weather updates.

Great advice all around.

Weather the OP chooses to learn from some great advice or follow their own thoughts, only time or the OP will tell.

Be that as it may, good luck to the OP.

Ok but being "brain dead" I guess I'll need all the luck I can get.
Old 16-10-2021, 17:50   #73

Boat: Sabre 28

This thread is a riot and most entertaining. The most vocal posters here do not seem to realize that they can learn from other peoples thoughts and opinions that disagree with their own. Too bad. To reject knowledge in order to be right is a choice that I will learn from.
To the OP. Forewarned is forearmed. Having said that if you don't get offshore weather then you can alternatively not sail in hurricane prone areas during the season, and you won't encounter a hurricane... If you do then learn to read the waves with the long period that is telling you a hurricane is coming. Good luck you PHD you.
To Adelie. Thank you.
Old 16-10-2021, 17:53   #74

Boat: Sabre 28

Oh and in my opinion. Having an engine is less safe because you do not know how to sail out of danger, and instead just turn on the engine. That's fine till the engine doesn't work. (See speculation as to any number of accidents, and the speculation points to the engine quitting.)
Old 16-10-2021, 18:20   #75

Adelie can you please explain to me how the ignore list feature works? Thanks

Tags
ports, weather