Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2019, 13:47   #151

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Dorian

Well we just went thru high tide and surge and I was a bit surprised that a Cat 1 80 to 100 miles away or more and being on the left side could give us around 5' - 7' depending on the source

Some fixed docks are under water......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00215.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	199294   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00214.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	199295  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00485.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	199296   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00465.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	199297  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 14:41   #152

Where is Northlake and is that where the boat was when you purchased it?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 17:18   #153
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Jedi was in Port Canaveral which was an unhealthy spot to be and the port captain ordered evacuation. We went through the bridge and locks into and across the Banana River, then into the Canaveral Barge Canal on Meritt Island, where we tied into the mangroves halfway down the canal. Then Meritt Island was evacuated as well. Winds were just tropical storm force but there were some 60 knot gusts reported. That was not a problem for any of the boats in the canal and after some waiting for the port and bridge to open again, this morning we were back in our marina slip
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 17:25   #154
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

...the news coming out of the Abaco's gets worse by the hour.
..official death toll is 20....but that must be because they haven't found the several 100 lying under debris...rescuers say that the smell of death is everywhere...that and flooded septic tanks, refuse, bodily waste, ad infinitum....
It goes without saying that looting is rampant as people try to find anything...anywhere...

...rescue efforts are still hampered by a variety of reasons....some simply mind boggling!
..We take for granted Federal aid in times of emergency....but no such aid is available in the B'mas.

...at first I had thought it would take 10-20 years for the Abaco's to rebuild, but now I'm thinking the place will never be rebuilt.....

...it's simply heartbreaking and frustrating !!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 17:43   #155

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

@MicHugeV,

That’s pretty much my thought as well. We were in Marsh Harbor a couple of years ago, and St Martin last year. In SMX you could see that places with capital and insurance bounced back pretty quick. But many other places were still gutted badly.

Applying that to Marsh Harbor there are a lot of folks who strayed with very little and lost that. If you have nothing then it matters not where you have nothing. And I believe a lot of the worst hit were immigrants, even more isolating and depressing. The tourist places will be OK, eventually. The balance? Not so much.

Dominica is another example, my understanding is that very roughly 20,000 out of 80,000 left after the 2017 hurricane and only 10,000 came back. May be similar in Marsh Harbor.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 17:45   #156
Marine Service Provider

..I'm hearing that the classic route over the banks...Mangrove Cay...Great Sale, etc, may pose a problem for boaters with good intent due to the large debris field, oil slicks, submerged and semi-submerged objects, etc.....added to the fact that the water is murky brown and sandbars, etc, may have shifted, grown, moved, etc...so I would advise proceed with caution.
Old 06-09-2019, 18:16   #157
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
..official death toll is 20....but that must be because they haven't found the several 100 lying under debris...rescuers say that the smell of death is everywhere...that and flooded septic tanks, refuse, bodily waste, ad infinitum....
It goes without saying that looting is rampant as people try to find anything...anywhere...

...rescue efforts are still hampered by a variety of reasons....some simply mind boggling!
..We take for granted Federal aid in times of emergency....but no such aid is available in the B'mas.

...at first I had thought it would take 10-20 years for the Abaco's to rebuild, but now I'm thinking the place will never be rebuilt.....

The loss of life is what I’ve been worrying about but have been afraid to address. The pictures have me worrying about how many didn’t survive and I don’t think evacuation was an option for many.
I’m surprised though about looting in the Abaco’s, it may be more of an attempt to gather supplies etc to survive than actual looting.
Maybe an incorrect definition but I think of looting as trying to profit from a disaster and not trying to get some food to eat or shelter
Maybe I’m naive but I didn’t get that feeling of the people of the Family islands.
Maybe in more urban areas?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 20:25   #158
Marine Service Provider

...you are correct. "Looting" is a term favored by the TV Media folk.....I would think under the circumstances " self-preservation" is more apt.
...under the same circumstances in the same location my "self-preservation" instincts would kick into high gear and I would likely stop at nothing to ensure the safety, health and well-being of myself and my family...
Old 06-09-2019, 23:39   #159
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Naah... the bill is in the mail....

People the world over want to help...... During my 7 years for WHO and other rescue organisations, In the main, I saw nothing but compassion and caring and willingness to help wherever and whatever.
:
Great story Weaves, but I remember right after Yolanda when we (Chamber of Commerce) sent trucks down from Subic with bags of rice, medicines and water, three of them were held up and looted on the way to Tacloban
.......To be seen later being sold from supply stores

I think with the good side there is often a parasitical group raising their ugly heads.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:02   #160

Quote:
..I'm hearing that the classic route over the banks...Mangrove Cay...Great Sale, etc, may pose a problem for boaters with good intent due to the large debris field, oil slicks, submerged and semi-submerged objects, etc.....added to the fact that the water is murky brown and sandbars, etc, may have shifted, grown, moved, etc...so I would advise proceed with caution.
That's the thing after any strong hurricane...…..debris in the water. Sometimes along the coast boating is prohibited for a week or so following

If in a coastal area along the ICW then the worry is sewage plants that have overflowed or been dumped...….
Old 07-09-2019, 05:36   #161

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
That's the thing after any strong hurricane...…..debris in the water. Sometimes along the coast boating is prohibited for a week or so following

If in a coastal area along the ICW then the worry is sewage plants that have overflowed or been dumped...….
Yes, debri is a big problem after a major 'cane. I was enroute to Pensacola when Ivan struck, had to hold off to avoid Ivan then to avoid the aftermath...however due to the destruction of marinas there was no longer any reason for me to continue to Pensacola.

Upside was that whole section of ICW got all brand new marks...they were uber reflective...you could run that area at night with a small flashlight...the slightest illumination and the marks would pop for 100 meters ahead of you.

Debri & sanitation will be a huge problem in the Abacos. But at least there are not to my knowledge any big treatment plants to overflow....however plenty of septic systems now leaching into water now I bet.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:41   #162

Quote:

That’s what we kept saying after Katrina. Could you imagine living somewhere after such an event where no massive rescue and recovery effort took place? I, too, after hearing the latest reports, and seeing the pictures, and remembering what it took, and how long it took, to rebuild and recover here after Katrina (and, at this point it’s not finished, yet) have slight hope for the Abacos.

I think that much of Abacos, if not all of it, will end up abandoned, for decades, if not forever. Bet you this has the people who were about to rebuild Walker’s Cay, rethinking that idea (and, look how long it took for someone to even seriously entertain that idea).

I really hope I’m wrong.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:28   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, debri is a big problem after a major 'cane. I was enroute to Pensacola when Ivan struck, had to hold off to avoid Ivan then to avoid the aftermath...however due to the destruction of marinas there was no longer any reason for me to continue to Pensacola.

Upside was that whole section of ICW got all brand new marks...they were uber reflective...you could run that area at night with a small flashlight...the slightest illumination and the marks would pop for 100 meters ahead of you.

Debri & sanitation will be a huge problem in the Abacos. But at least there are not to my knowledge any big treatment plants to overflow....however plenty of septic systems now leaching into water now I bet.
Yes, and Pensacola Beach was completely inundated with the surge after being slammed with 30' waves and 130-140 knot winds plus tornadoes

Folks on Pensacola Beach evacuated as soon as they could and bought homes on the mainland or moved into a FEMA Trailer at one of the sites that were quickly made available. That was another ordeal for folks living so close together. Others moved in with relatives

The same thing occurred in New Orleans after Katrina but some folks were relocated to other cities. When Katrina passed 180 miles South of Pensacola I was on the dock on Bayou Grande where I had kept my boats until 2001 and the water was right at the dock level with your feet almost like a normal Cat 1 or Cat 2 that went directly over

Then all the repair crews that came in. It was nuts. The place was never the same afterward

The Bahamas endured a worse storm and evacuation will be much tougher as will getting in repair crews if there is anything worth repairing/rebuilding in the worst areas

It took months/years to rebuild Pensacola Beach
Old 07-09-2019, 06:49   #164

Here is a link to hundreds of high resolution aerial pictures of Abacos post-Dorian.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dwUlk2Wmd2Ykln

That link was lifted from the Hope Town Sailing Club website.
https://www.hopetownsailingclub.com/
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:56   #165

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
@MicHugeV,

That’s pretty much my thought as well. We were in Marsh Harbor a couple of years ago, and St Martin last year. In SMX you could see that places with capital and insurance bounced back pretty quick. But many other places were still gutted badly.

Applying that to Marsh Harbor there are a lot of folks who strayed with very little and lost that. If you have nothing then it matters not where you have nothing. And I believe a lot of the worst hit were immigrants, even more isolating and depressing. The tourist places will be OK, eventually. The balance? Not so much.

Dominica is another example, my understanding is that very roughly 20,000 out of 80,000 left after the 2017 hurricane and only 10,000 came back. May be similar in Marsh Harbor.

those immigrants in marsh harbor were undocumented haitians...they wouldnt and couldnt leave (for obvious reasons)

i'm hoping what i heard is just a bad rumor...

but the number floating around there are 4 digits of missing people just from 'da mudd' (that haitian shanty town there)

the photo floating around all that mass debris/destruction.. that was 'da mudd..and it was not evacuated (i doubt most folks even knew what was coming)

after that storm in that place...

if somehow less than 1000 people lost their life there...i'd consider it a minor miracle
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote