Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 08:27   #196

Re: Dorian

Newlazydays....your posts...good reading. Master of Understatement award, "somewhat hectic these last few days". Most of us will never 'ride out' a stationary 5 hurricane for two days from inside the leaking basement of what was once a house. From my northern comfort spot here along the Quebec/Ontario border I could empathize with tired, wet, hungry, anxious people trying, if possible, to recover from paradise gone awry.
MarathonJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:39   #197
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

In an ironic twist of fate....delivered emergency supplies sit on the dock at MH.....unopened and unused....as the MH residents (survivors) have been evacuating the place in droves.

Can't say I blame them one bit, as there is little left there for sustenance of any kind, besides no food...no utilities...no roof over your head...etc...One cannot place a value on a functioning and working toilet and just some running water. Luxuries we take for granted without ever thinking about it.

Will they ever return?....

Spoke to a delivery captain I know that is frequently in the Abaco's and his opinion is that the majority of the Abaco hub will likely be uninhabitable for some time, an opinion, that I totally agree with.

With the departure of so many residents, the place will likely be a ghost town for years to come.

I've been to the Abaco's countless times, as have many others, and my heart bleeds.

I'm sure I will be back !
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:02   #198

Boat: Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Will they ever return?....

Spoke to a delivery captain I know that is frequently in the Abaco's and his opinion is that the majority of the Abaco hub will likely be uninhabitable for some time, an opinion, that I totally agree with.

With the departure of so many residents, the place will likely be a ghost town for years to come.

I've been to the Abaco's countless times, as have many others, and my heart bleeds.

I like you have to wonder the same thing.

The Abacos was my favorite place to go and made many local friends. But there has to be a reason to come back, ya the views are special, but for me it has always been the people.

With so many leaving and starting a new life elsewhere there will be less and less reason for them to return. There are some hardy homesteader still there and God bless them. But I fear as more and more leave there will be less and less of a need to rebuild or maintain infrastructure making rebuilding a life damn near impossible.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:27   #199

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Dorian was also a direct hit on Halifax Nova Scotia Canada.

Our friends boat broke it's mooring in the early stages of the storm.
Incredibly, he was able to make his way across a bunch of heaving, broken up docks and jump aboard as the boat came against the docks.
He managed to get the engine started and motored away.
He then anchored and rode out the storm in the Northwest Arm.
I estimate the boat was a few hundred feet from rocks and a concrete pier when he got it under command.

A passerby caught it on video.
Turn down your volume if you don't like to hear a lot of cursing.

https://youtu.be/A4gIX0SPROc
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:11   #200

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Dorian was also a direct hit on Halifax Nova Scotia Canada.

Our friends boat broke it's mooring in the early stages of the storm.
Incredibly, he was able to make his way across a bunch of heaving, broken up docks and jump aboard as the boat came against the docks.
He managed to get the engine started and motored away.
He then anchored and rode out the storm in the Northwest Arm.
I estimate the boat was a few hundred feet from rocks and a concrete pier when he got it under command.

A passerby caught it on video.
Turn down your volume if you don't like to hear a lot of cursing.

https://youtu.be/A4gIX0SPROc
Scary stuff. We just got a glancing blow up here on the east side of NFLD, but poor NS and the Halifax area really got hammered. Hope the cleanup and recovery goes well.
Old 10-09-2019, 13:23   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

New Orleans was like that for a few years after Katrina. Gradually about half, I guess, of the population came back.

It will take a while, but I think places like Hopetown and Green Turtle Cay will come back first, and then hopefully, Marsh Harbor and other areas will follow along later.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:47   #202
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Bahamian officials said Wednesday, that 2,500 people have been registered as missing, in the wake of Hurricane Dorian; but cautioned the full list of missing has not been checked to see if any of those people are in shelters. Thousands of people are in shelters on the islands, and more than 5,000 people had evacuated to New Providence. Officials have confirmed 50 deaths caused by the Sept. 1 storm.

The Bahamas Gaming Operators Association said Tuesday it had built more than 1,394 square metres of air-conditioned tent housing for over 800 people. Some 295 people were staying in those tents on Wednesday, Bahamian officials said.
More will come, with officials planning to erect two "tent city" relief centres capable of housing around 4,000 people around hard-hit Marsh Harbour on Great Abaco Island, John Michael-Clark, co-chairman of the Bahamas' disaster relief and reconstruction committee, told reporters this week. The two centres will provide temporary housing to people who wish to rebuild their homes on the island, he said. Officials estimated that 90 per cent of the homes and buildings in Marsh Harbour were damaged or destroyed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote