Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2019, 17:10   #16

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Dorian

The only upside to storms bearing down is that Levi broadcasts his superb daily update/analysis: https://tropicaltidbits.com/
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 18:12   #17

The best I can say is, thoughts and prayers to those stuck within the track of Dorian. Hopefully those seasoned cruisers who know about hurricane season have made it as far south as possible, ie grenada or the ABC islands.
Old 29-08-2019, 19:47   #18

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

Well, new to boating here, but hopefully prepared. In Daytona with 6, 1” lines, Bimini down, and all gear stowed.. good thing I increased my insurance last week after all the upgrades Werner finally completed. Whew..
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 20:01   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

We rode Dorian out in Nanny Cay, Tortola, yesterday. It was just becoming a hurricane as it passed about 25 miles to our west, but it had been a very tight and small storm so we had mostly very strong tropical storm winds, and lots of rain. It is likely to get much larger in diameter, which will have as many consequences as it's wind speed. On Tortola, there was relatively little damage, which was very lucky as its late turn north was unforeseen, so many were caught out having been less prepared than they may have wished. That said, I have only seen one boat that looks badly damaged, so I imagine many are breathing a sigh of relief, including myself. And, of course, those of us who experienced Irma have, unfortunately, suffered something incomparably worse. I hope that Florida doesn't get hit too hard, but don't get complacent! I was in St. Thomas today, taking a friend to the airport, and it seemed relatively OK, which was good as it took a much harder hit. But I did not get the chance to talk to any boaters.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 20:26   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Ketch

Just today acquired a 24' Bayliner, no engine, currently in North Lake. I certainly feel like I'm going to learn a lot.
Jordan-Flomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 03:05   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jordan.

Good luck, to you, and all in harm's way.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 03:20   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Our heart and prayers go out to the Abacos as they will be ground zero in the next couple of days..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 04:44   #23

Boat: Passport 40

Yeap, the Abacos will get hit hard, and since its only small little islands with little to no features to block anything, in many cases it's almost like being without any protection. I really hope it doesn't do damage. FL will be hit, maybe harder even in how much Dorian has built up. I spent two hurricane seasons in FL, Irma (very stressful season) and last years (nothing really happened). This year I moved my boat down to the Rio. I really feel for the people who live in FL and really have no choice but to wing it. But after those two seasons, I now will move away from hurricane zones. Also, no insurance wants to cover me inside the box hahahaha.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 05:08   #24

Boat: Pearson 365 Ketch

Thanks. I got to Florida last week and had a rough draft up for the meet & greet forum, but everything moved quite fast. I mean, sure, one could get a boat and then learn how to sail, and eventually deal with hurricane prep. I'm going about it a little backwards.

I've got a bunch of research to do to make sure she doesn't become a hazard, but I think the fact that she's completely gutted gives me a bit more leeway in securing her. I know there's some resources here, and I've got some heavy weather books I need to look through. I'd be pretty beat up if something happened to her, but I'm mostly focusing on making sure she doesn't cause damage to others.
Jordan-Flomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 06:29   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dorian is putting down more than 70 mm rain hourly. this will be significant once over fla... be ready for a cat 4-5 hit with more rain than niagara falls every hour coming in at high king tide..this will be interesting to watch. i hope all are ready. warnings will be coming out manana... about 48 hours before the hit. best of luck to all of you under this wet n wild storm.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 07:24   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The tracking cone represents the probable track of the center of a tropical cyclone, and is formed by enclosing the area swept out by a set of circles (not shown) along the forecast track (at 12, 24, 36 hours, etc). The size of each circle is set so that two-thirds of historical official forecast errors over a 5-year sample fall within the circle.
Forecast Period(hours) - 2/3 Probability Circle, Atlantic Basin (nautical miles)
24 Hrs - 41nm, 36 H - 54nm, 48H - 68nm, 72h - 102nm, 96h - 151nm, & 120Hrs -198nm
Florida’s still more than 120 Hours out from Landfall (Abaco is about 72 Hrs out).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 07:27   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Our heart and prayers go out to the Abacos as they will be ground zero in the next couple of days..
Prayers for Nippers.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 08:04   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
Prayers for Nippers.
Yea....VERY exposed high up on the beach.....OYE!
Old 30-08-2019, 08:20   #29

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

To put in context all the hype over this storm, as of now hurricane force winds exist only within a 20 mile radius of the center.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 08:22   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

An open letter to Donny’s on Green Turtle Cay

“Good day, Donny. Wanted you to know we are worried for you and your business as we
watch the weather reports on this terrible hurricane. It looks like it’s path is right
thru your area. We have you and all the folks in the Bahamas in our prayers. We have
nothing but happy thoughts of our time on Green Turtle Cay. You took such good care of us
while we were with you last Spring.

Stay safe. We will hope the hill gives you some break of the winds they are forecasting
but I fear it will be a rough go.

Blessings to you, Donny.

Leslie and Clayton Owen
s/v Tango, Cabo Rico 34”
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote