Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 07:51   #121

Boat: Tartan 37 #6
Re: Dorian

Looks like the liquor store is about all that survived on the waterfront.
Hard to know how best to help, I had planned to be there Christmas but now that’s pointless as there will be nowhere to spend money,plus one will need to be self sufficient fuel and water wise. Even the Batelco tower is a skeleton. Maybe a donation to Sea Shepherd as they will be hauling supplies?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	185043B2-D94B-47AA-BD76-F232B2BE4E32.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	199193  
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:08   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
This site is being updated with photos and reports.

https://www.hopetownsailingclub.com/
I was there 18 months ago. What a tragedy.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:35   #123

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469

Hi all,
My 46' sailboat is/was at Marsh Harbour Boatyards. 2013 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469.
It was up on the hard in a cradle strapped down and was in good shape to make it through anything but a direct hit from a Cat 5 hurricane.
Piss.
It's especially sad because:
1) The boat was only a couple days away from being sold (the airline cancelled the flight of the person coming out to buy it and sail it home);
2) I moved it to Marsh Harbour for dry storage for hurricane season because up on the hard strapped down is much safer than being in a slip. But if I had left it in Nassau where my slip for it was, it would have been fine; and
3) The insurance expired a month prior and I had trouble getting it renewed because it wasn't based in the U.S., and since it was about to sell, I figured "What are the chances it gets a direct hit from a Cat 5 Hurricane in the next 3-4 weeks." Apparently the answer to that is 100%.

In the picture circulating I can see that it is lying on it side at an angle, held up by the rudder and I assume keel but there is another boat in the way in the picture so I can't tell the status of the keel. Attaching the picture here, the boat is circled in orange in the bottom left corner. The mast snapped and the bimini frame ripped off but that's not a big deal, I'm most concerned with the keel/hull joint; if the keel has deformed the hull, or punched through the hull, it's probably all over. I'm also not sure if the inside is flooded or water damaged.

Anyway, I imagine it will be weeks before any boatyard staff gets back to work and I find anything out about its condition. The folks there are just trying to survive. But if anyone on this forum knows anyone out there helping out, and is near the boatyard, I'd like to hire them to get out and take a look and let me know the status and take some pictures or whatever.

God bless you all and prayers for those on the island. I only lost a luxury item; real folks lost everything they had, and in some cases, loved ones.

'Dubs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Marsh Harbor Boatyards after picture2 v2.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	199197  
Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:46   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’m sorry for your loss.
I guess saying that at least you and your family are fine doesn’t help much, but I’m at a loss for what to say.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:58   #125

Boat: Pearson 365 Ketch

Anyone familiar with Global Empowerment Mission? La Vagabonde* mentioned it, and some cursory research seems to show they are legit.

I like the idea of a warehouse in a safe area, and will try to volunteer over there. No clue how to sail yet, but I don't have a job yet, so maybe I can help out there.

https://www.globalempowermentmission...rricane-dorian

EDIT: Damn 'Dubs, I'm sorry the events worked out in the most perfectly awful way they did. I only have time, but let me know if there is anything I can do.

*Their videos aren't my thing anymore, but it seems that maybe that's not a good representation of who they are, just what they are doing with their channel.
Jordan-Flomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:54   #126

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Apparently José Andrés and his World Central Kitchen team landed in Nassau a few days ago, already had potential shelter and kitchen sites mapped out, and have already started distributing food on Abaco.

After their previous Puerto Rico experience it seems they are better prepared than ever.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...?noredirect=on

https://wck.org/

https://twitter.com/chefjoseandres
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:24   #127

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

He's not mucking around either it seems, apparently he has chartered 2 sea planes, an amphibious vehicle, 2 large helicopters, and a yacht support vessel move supplies (around 50m/150ft and helicopter capable too).
Old 04-09-2019, 14:14   #128

Boat: Southern Cross 39

Very sorry to hear about your boat Rdubs.

I just received the word that our Southern Cross 39 survived, in the ICW just south of St. Augustine FL. I hear the surge and tide combined in the ICW was within about 5 feet or less of lifting the floating dock off it's pilings, so it could have been all she wrote.

I was obsessing over the NOAA bouy data and a weather station on Rattlesnake Island 3.5 miles N by Ft Matanzas... The dang station went offline after wind hit 80 mph, for about 5 hours, then came back on, and the winds were down to about 40 mph. Waiting for the call from the guy who did the preps on her was nervewracking.

Best of luck to anyone still in the path of Dorian.
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 17:06   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Dorian

Here in the Ortega River we saw maybe 10 kts of wind with gusts to the mid 20’s. Water is only about a foot above normal high tide, but with the King tides we may have no surge?

With the pictures I’m seeing on the internet now, one I’m attaching my fear is that there may be way more deaths in the Abaco’s. I hope not, but how do people survive this?

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	199214
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 20:23   #130

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Apparently José Andrés and his World Central Kitchen team landed in Nassau a few days ago, already had potential shelter and kitchen sites mapped out, and have already started distributing food on Abaco.

After their previous Puerto Rico experience it seems they are better prepared than ever.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...?noredirect=on

https://wck.org/

https://twitter.com/chefjoseandres
I heard him on an interview shortly after Puerto Rico. Very impressed with his efforts to cut through both the red tape and the middle men who are too eager for their cut of disaster relief money.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 22:44   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I heard him on an interview shortly after Puerto Rico. Very impressed with his efforts to cut through both the red tape and the middle men who are too eager for their cut of disaster relief money.
Yes José Andrés is great. He just gets things done by doing whatever it takes
Old 05-09-2019, 01:36   #132

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Rdubs, wow....what a story of things that can go wrong at the worst possible time. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya...but you know with all that wind and surge....how on God's blue planet could the insides of the boat not gotten inundated?

My boat is in San Carlos Mexico and it got hit with a Cat 1 last fall. I was sick to my stomach and a nervous wreck...and i only have less than 25 K in her. I can imagine your 24-48 hours of mental anguish.

It is only a thing...you are alive and still have your life. Pray for the poor average Bahamians who lost everything but the clothes on their back. The rich Americans and Canadians....they can rebuild or relocate. Listening to the video of the poor lady asking for prayers for her and her 4 month old baby...the fear in her voice ....heart rending...unspeakable mental torture for those caught in the jaws of this 200 mph wrecking machine. God Bless the Bahamians. I was in Freeport 3 years ago and loved the people, climate, and soft evenings walking the beaches and listening to the small wavelets slap the sand and run up and over or feet as we walked.

I remember asking a minister who was touring us on a boat up through the canals why people were living in this blown out house that backed to one of the canals. He said they didn't have the money to repair it and no where else to go. You could see parts of the walls of the canals that were bisected by entrance canals that were perpendicular....had been seriously damaged by previous hurricanes. He said no money to repair ...and it had been 3-4 years since they had been damaged. Deep sadness in my heart for these wonderful people.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:41   #133
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

...it never ceases to amaze me how generous American citizenry is when the doodoo hits the fan elsewhere...
...just heard a story about some "unknown" person buying every generator available from his local Costco and having them shipped over to the Abaco's...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:52   #134

Yes, despite all their faults, and sometimes (ok, let's be tactful) 'different' thinking, as well as all the stuff they are blamed for (both rightly or wrongly), in my personal experience (years + living + working in the USA in the past) Americans are still some of the most kind hearted, warm, generous, friendly, caring, selfless, and genuine people that I have ever met or had the privilege to call friends.

That might sound odd in comparison with some of the slander, but it is true nonetheless.

And Bahamians will both need and feel their kind embrace. We are seeing it already, thank you Americans
Old 05-09-2019, 08:02   #135

Be prepared, weather or not, the storm is forecast to be headed your way.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote