Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2020, 20:55   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Fiji to Bundaberg September

Hi all, looks like I maybe sailing solo from Fiji to Bundaberg in September.

Home affairs consider my US crew member Dave that has had 3 covid tests and is with me in Fiji where theres only 8 cases of covid ,all in Quarantine a risk to Australias health??? Btw, from their reply it seems obvious to me they didn't even read the application, so why waste my time and money?

Now, July & August are the windiest mths of the SE trade season if I remember rightly?

How is September, anyone done the trip in September, if so what was it like?

Cheers Dale
Sukha.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 21:15   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Fiji to Bundaberg September

DeepZoom Global Ocean Winds
Pretty much the same as July/August.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deepzoom.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	221306  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 21:19   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I'm fairly confident your initial application was not read by a human. It seems that the initial applications for CV exemptions etc are handled by robo algorithm. Mind you, I could be wrong!

You gotta challenge the rejection before a human looks at it - at least this has been the experience of an acquaintance. You might get a better result if Dave gets an Aussie immigration lawyer involved but more expense.

As for the trades, well it is too seasonal to be sure but technically they ease off by a couple of knots during September, at least in the southern Qld. FNQ not so much - though it has been three decades since I bent bananas full time.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 23:08   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

October is generally considered the month when the real SE trade winds start to ease off and you start to see north westerlies. The real SE trades generally stay north of Cairns with the southern edge between Cairns and Cooktown.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 00:20   #5

Boat: Farr 43`

September is good.
Second & third weeks usually best.
August & October have greater chance of re enforced trades over 25 kts.
Shape course south of New Cal while the wind is in the East then steer for Bundy as the Southerly component develops.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 00:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
September is good.
Second & third weeks usually best.
August & October have greater chance of re enforced trades over 25 kts.
Shape course south of New Cal while the wind is in the East then steer for Bundy as the Southerly component develops.
Speaking to Bob Mc davitt (weather router) today, he agrees with you. October tends to be rougher than September.
Old 15-08-2020, 03:36   #7

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Australia is not letting anyone in who is not a citizen or resident unless there are very exceptional circumstances. Your case does not appear to meeting these rules, so unlikely you will get approval.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 04:30   #8

^^ Dale is an Aussie!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 15-08-2020, 04:41   #9

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
^^ Dale is an Aussie!
and it appears his crew member dave is a yank. seems to me if this crew member arrives in aust without permission they are both in for a world of pain...hence the solo trip

cheers,
Old 15-08-2020, 04:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
and it appears his crew member dave is a yank. seems to me if this crew member arrives in aust without permission they are both in for a world of pain...hence the solo trip

cheers,
Maybe you missed the first sentence in the opening post
Old 15-08-2020, 08:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I'm fairly confident your initial application was not read by a human. It seems that the initial applications for CV exemptions etc are handled by robo algorithm. Mind you, I could be wrong!

You gotta challenge the rejection before a human looks at it - at least this has been the experience of an acquaintance. You might get a better result if Dave gets an Aussie immigration lawyer involved but more expense.

As for the trades, well it is too seasonal to be sure but technically they ease off by a couple of knots during September, at least in the southern Qld. FNQ not so much - though it has been three decades since I bent bananas full time.
I believe you are right ,which is frustrating.

I've been able to work with officials and agents in Panama, Mexico, French Polynesia and Fiji , they have rules, we were able to talk to people, clarify the rules and abide by them.

I spoke to Border Force Bundaberg two days ago by phone and the guy was quite upfront that they are still waiting for clarity and their questions aren't getting answered.

Just to take this abit further. Australia is a large wealthy country compared to Pacific nations. Theres hundreds of boats out here that are stuck and not able to get out of the up coming cyclone season. It would not be difficult to put a plan into action that would provide a safe haven for these cruisers while protecting Australias health. They are a very low risk group and what very small risk there is could easily be managed AND if given to a get the job done person rather than a useless bureaucrat it wouldn't take much in the way if resources.

Most world cruisers spend a minimum of $1,000aud /week, cant hurt our economy.

Eg, Fiji Blue lanes. Covid test prior to leaving port, covid test upon arrival, AIS on and recording of track, time at sea counted towards quarantine...they have done a good job.

Can I singlehand home? Yes, of course BUT it's a unnecessary risk, dosent have to be, I have a competent crew, he poses no risk and I'm happy to guarantee him financially.
Old 15-08-2020, 09:13   #12

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I believe you are right ,which is frustrating.

I've been able to work with officials and agents in Panama, Mexico, French Polynesia and Fiji , they have rules, we were able to talk to people, clarify the rules and abide by them.

I spoke to Border Force Bundaberg two days ago by phone and the guy was quite upfront that they are still waiting for clarity and their questions aren't getting answered.

Just to take this abit further. Australia is a large wealthy country compared to Pacific nations. Theres hundreds of boats out here that are stuck and not able to get out of the up coming cyclone season. It would not be difficult to put a plan into action that would provide a safe haven for these cruisers while protecting Australias health. They are a very low risk group and what very small risk there is could easily be managed AND if given to a get the job done person rather than a useless bureaucrat it wouldn't take much in the way if resources.

Most world cruisers spend a minimum of $1,000aud /week, cant hurt our economy.

Eg, Fiji Blue lanes. Covid test prior to leaving port, covid test upon arrival, AIS on and recording of track, time at sea counted towards quarantine...they have done a good job.

Can I singlehand home? Yes, of course BUT it's a unnecessary risk, dosent have to be, I have a competent crew, he poses no risk and I'm happy to guarantee him financially.
For me, Australian officialdom, particularly immigration, is difficult to deal with. Several years ago I found them to be intolerant and rude, to the point that they actually put me into tears on one occasion (so much for macho). So do your best to reason with them but don't expect much sympathy or compassion.

As for singlehandiing your Cat470. Perhaps bend a smaller jib on your furler. September will be windy.
Old 15-08-2020, 09:40   #13

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
...Just to take this a bit further. Australia is a large wealthy country compared to Pacific nations. There's hundreds of boats out here that are stuck and not able to get out of the up coming cyclone season. It would not be difficult to put a plan into action that would provide a safe haven for these cruisers while protecting Australia's health. ...
To many ordinary voters this will just sound like hundreds of boat people coming again. But instead of from south East Asia this time they'll be coming from the islands. Ordinary Australians will imagine hundreds of Tampas on their way from Fiji, Vanuatu, Solomans, Cooks, Tonga etc.

'Wealthy' Australia have hardly been welcoming to evacuees in recent past. There are still many hundreds of boat people in detention centres today, the great majority having been in detention for over 5 years.

I can't see any politician opening the border to that scenario.
Old 15-08-2020, 12:40   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
For me, Australian officialdom, particularly immigration, is difficult to deal with. Several years ago I found them to be intolerant and rude, to the point that they actually put me into tears on one occasion (so much for macho). So do your best to reason with them but don't expect much sympathy or compassion.

As for singlehandiing your Cat470. Perhaps bend a smaller jib on your furler. September will be windy.
I really like my country, the potential we have is amazing BUT we suffer from "to much for to long"...bureaucracy is stifling, we need a "get the job done" mindset, we need leaders not managers. Potential means nothing.

I come from a business background, Ive witnessed first hand the power of "people that produce nothing controlling the people that produce ". I should say that generally I find the officials, particularly Border force generally pleasant enough.

Regarding jib, that's exactly what I'm going to do, hoist my 100%. With the smaller jib and a 1/3 furled main Sukha can weather alot, plus shes easy enough to get going.

The only fear I have is getting caught out with to much sail up, done it before and it certainly teaches me what power is BUT that's upto me, I'm going to make sure I'm disciplined, reef each night etc.

I've just ordered a complete new autopilot system plus I have the trusty Hydrovane, that just keeps saving my ass.

I haven't singlehanded this far before (1,450nm) ,yes it makes me a little nervous but theres also the challenge part I'm looking forward to, a fitting way to finish a circumnavigation.
Old 15-08-2020, 12:42   #15

Boat: St Francis 43

If you've got a Netflix connection, go watch "Stateless". Great series about the aussie detention centers, and Australian attitudes towards the "Boat People".

Great watch, and quite eye opening.
piebuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fiji