Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Weather | Gear, Reports and Resources
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 20:09   #31

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: From CNN: Several passengers hurt as cruise ship tilts when hit by sudden 115 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Please , tell me how radar shows us when a big wind gust is going to strike . I really need to know !
Maybe not the kind of radar you're talking about, and it doesn't tell one the strength (though I assume that can be estimated pretty well), but it's certainly better than nothing at all...Chances are good the guys in charge knew it was coming, though perhaps not its ferocity.

But if you're paying attention, around here anyway, these things are easily predicable in the day, as well as night (though one has to be more alert then), even without radar.

I've heard stories of big winds with no warning, but again, around here, I've never seen one---but I live a sheltered life...

Though this is not likely the same scenario that produced the Escapes escapade, it does illustrate that one can indeed 'see' a big wind on radar.

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 20:19   #32

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Re: From CNN: Several passengers hurt as cruise ship tilts when hit by sudden 115 mph

[QUOTE=Snore;2842140]This is the SE US when a front comes through you see a line of clouds. Usually extreme winds accompany the front.

...and the local weatherman usually announcing,
"and the storm went safely out to sea"
(first brought to my attention by a comm. fisherman friend)
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:02   #33

Boat: Hunter, 38, 38 Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
I think my friend, Boatman 61 was making a joke. No sense of humor here, just like in the Democrat controlled Congress.
Please no politics here!
ahoymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:34   #34

Boat: ODay 27

Quote:
I think my friend, Boatman 61 was making a joke. No sense of humor here, just like in the Democrat controlled Congress.
I believe it was joke too, just like the Republicans are. Soon Trump will have them all kissing his ring. Now back to boat comments since that is what this blog is all about!
seaquest7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:51   #35

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
These new ships are just about as ugly as it gets. Slab-sided horizontal condos. I surprised one hasn't been rolled.
No, that cannot happen . . . :-)
Old 11-03-2019, 10:48   #36

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Looking at the video, that was probably 10° to 15° at rhe max.
Even at 30° it's hard to stand without holding something.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 20:59   #37
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

Dauntless; glad you said it before I did. It has happened. Way back in the late 60's I foolishly got out of the Coast Guard for a while and worked in a ship yard. Among many other things, I was a helper in doing ship inclining to determine stability. Of course these big ships are tested and an inclining experiment is required for the ship to be certified by whoever is the certifying body. And yes that's a lot of sail area. 45 degree roll, not likely, unless they had an inclinometer to measure it. A coast Guard ship I was on took a 47 degree roll (Measured) crossing the Columbia River Bar, and that was incredibly scary. But our ship was designed for that. I don't believe a big cruise ship could recover from a 45 degree roll. Probably in the 20s, but on a big ship like that with chairs and tables , and people, sliding around it may have seemed like 45.

Been on three cruise ships, 2 small ones (they were fun) and one big one. It was not fun. It was a cruise to nowhere gambling ship. Someone died and they had to return to port. You can't get me on one of those big things. They are just giant floating hotels and disease incubators.

And I might add that with a big ship with that much top hammer, they don't have a lot of reserve stability and if they roll they reach a point where the righting moment becomes negative and they just keep rolling over. I am just guessing but I would bet that's somewhere between 25 and 30 degrees.

Tags
cruise, cruise ship