Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 20:48   #1

Boat: 1993 Lagoon 37 TPI
Handheld Weather Instruments

I hope I'm not becoming just a gadget collector, but I am considering buying a Kestrel 4000 hand-held weather meter. It measures wind speed, temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, etc. and can plot a graph to show trends over time for each variable. It seems to me that something like this would be very helpful to cruisers, but I don't want to spend the $250 if the unit is not dependable and reasonable accurate, or if the informaton it provides isn't useful in a practical sense. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the Kestrel 4000 or a similar unit?
Mike Sibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 21:14   #2

Boat: Swan 56
hand held and plots graphs over time to show trends? you're going to get very bored of holding it up I suspect

how does it calculate true windspeed when the boat is moving?
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 22:13   #3

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
I have a Kestrel 4000 and love it. I collect data once an hour most of the time, and it's been on the same set of batteries for about 2 years. I can drop it in an interface cradle to extract data when needed. This is a well-made and reliable gadget... and although the graphic resolution is not high, it readily shows the pasage of a storm:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	low-pressure.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	13628  
Old 05-03-2010, 11:38   #4

Boat: 1993 Lagoon 37 TPI
Hand-held weather meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
I have a Kestrel 4000 and love it. I collect data once an hour most of the time, and it's been on the same set of batteries for about 2 years. I can drop it in an interface cradle to extract data when needed. This is a well-made and reliable gadget... and although the graphic resolution is not high, it readily shows the pasage of a storm:

Thanks for the information. It confirms my impression about the durability of the instrument and I have ordered the 4000 model. My only lingering uncertainty is whether or not it will make a practical differnece in my ability to avoid bad weather or more effectively prepare for it. If it results in better weather forecasts and safer passages, it will be well worth the money. If it only tells me how bad the weather is at the monent, then at least it's kool gadget and I am sure it will be fun to play with.
Mike Sibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 15:46   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I've got the cheap handheld unit. They work well but it measures one point at a time or the trend over the period of time you measure. Something with memory and a longer trend could be nice. Winds at the masthead and the surface are often different. Over the long haul knowing wind trends is a good thing to have. The difference from the gusts and lulls to the average tells you how hard a watch you are going to have.

Information that translates into actions is good. Learning how to use it takes time. Detailed wind data falls easily into that category.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather