Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 06:25   #46

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: How to Ride Out a Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance835 View Post
Thank you all for all your inputs! Since we will be moving around the florida coast, and the islands how do we locate these Hurricane holes?

Also where is a good place to stay 5 degrees north?

It would appear to me that one will need to know these holes way ahead of time and not start looking as the storm approaches.
Yes, Yes, Yes. And pick several, and get there first, first sign of aproaching hurricane. Last hurricane I went to "MY" hurricane hole and someone beat me to it. I had to go to hole D.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:37   #47
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Yes, Yes, Yes. And pick several, and get there first, first sign of aproaching hurricane. Last hurricane I went to "MY" hurricane hole and someone beat me to it. I had to go to hole D.

Yes! It's very unlikely that you are the only person who has noticed a good hurricane hole.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:33   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
So, we will make an educated, informed guess, and we will not know whether it was wise or stupid to make the decision we made until the storm blows over.

Now you say there is a problem with the attitude I presented (and you will stay at home where you are lead to believe YOU are safer?). Now you please let me know how you evaluate that it is safer in the house than in the boat? Perhaps there is a land-slide and the house will be flattened while the boat will just marginally make it (without your help though).

b.
Land isn't necessarily safer. One of my neighbors entire family Drowned, ...in their attic,...they had a two story house.

My boat survived, There were many boats on the hard, they ended up stacked on the freeway, ...underneath the boats left tied up at dock.

Basically all the boats within 2 miles of the coast ended up on the freeway or stuck in the sides of houses, Mine was 4 miles up a canal.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:47   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Land isn't necessarily safer. One of my neighbors entire family Drowned, ...in their attic,...they had a two story house.

My boat survived, There were many boats on the hard, they ended up stacked on the freeway, ...underneath the boats left tied up at dock.

Basically all the boats within 2 miles of the coast ended up on the freeway or stuck in the sides of houses, Mine was 4 miles up a canal.

Riding it out or staying in one's home aren't the only choices.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:56   #50
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
correct-- some storms are able to be sailed thru--as in gulf of mexico-- the huge storms are not so easily sailed-- is better to find a hiding place for named ones.
lightning storms off tampa bay may be scary but the sailing is awesome.....is skinny water one must beware in those-- with huge boxy seas -- we spent the better part of a year sailing thru those---i wasnt happy about them but we did get some good heavy weather sailing !!

some folks have their home as their boat-- so is easily solved-- stay in home and keep sailing her.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:27   #51

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
correct-- some storms are able to be sailed thru--as in gulf of mexico-- the huge storms are not so easily sailed-- is better to find a hiding place for named ones.
lightning storms off tampa bay may be scary but the sailing is awesome.....is skinny water one must beware in those-- with huge boxy seas -- we spent the better part of a year sailing thru those---i wasnt happy about them but we did get some good heavy weather sailing !!

some folks have their home as their boat-- so is easily solved-- stay in home and keep sailing her.
This where getting in the deep and putting out a sea anchor might be fun!
Old 14-11-2011, 05:31   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Uh huh....
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 06:42   #53
cruiser

Quote:

ROTFL, Zee -- I meant that one can secure their boat and then leave their home for higher ground! You may have the skill to sail through a hurricane but I do not, and I have no reason to think that MY boat is up to it. MOST people should not be staying on their boat in a storm.
Old 14-11-2011, 06:52   #54

Location: Sold the Full Moon in PR, now on St Simons Island, GA
Boat: Hunter, Deck Salon, 44, Fullmoon

This is the best weather sight available. Hurricane Spaghetti Models / Spaghetti Charts / Tropical Forecast / Hurricane Charts Models / Tropical Update It has over a dozen links including most of the ones mentioned above. We have been living in the BVI since June of 2010, which means we have two hurricane seasons under our belt. The hands down best port in the USVI and BVI to weather a storm is Nanny Cay. We survived 105kt winds last year without a scratch. We DID NOT stay on the boat. I have yet to meet a person who stayed on their boat during a Hurricane who would do it again. I can live without bragging that I have done it. We have weathered lesser storms there also, and did stay on board. The mooring balls have warnings to get off if winds are over 40/50. I have seen the results of not doing that. It was not a pretty sight. We toured Tortola after Earl and saw a lot of damaged boats left at anchor, on balls and at non-floating docks. Again, use the link above for weather. I have over 20 weather sites on my computer, but SpaghettiModels is my first stop.
Fullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 07:07   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
The bad thing about cold storms is that cold wind has more molecules by volume and packs more of a punch- so it can be the same windspeed and do more damage. Harder to stay on task when your freezing too!
Interesting. I was talking to one of the guys who runs the boatyard the other day. The harbor having been on the bad side of Hurricane Irene I think just one boat ended up on shore. But, in one recent Nor' Easter they had 25 up on the beach. So if you have a choice better to pick a warm storm.
Old 14-11-2011, 07:13   #56

raku--i dont sail thru hurrycames--anything with a name is worth sitting out somewhere safe...we hunkered down in ida in slidell and watched the water and listened to the wind. she went to the east of us and we were happy about that.
here in mazatlan when the jova scare was creating a stressor for many was merely watch and pray situation--but i dont leave my boat to chances.
i have remained on board on moorings thru pnw storms, which are cyclonic and cold, sometimes having very low barometic pressure and packing some wicked winds. 60-90+ kts have been recorded in these more frequently than many believe. they are just too frequent to name, and COLD.
Old 14-11-2011, 11:16   #57

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
i have remained on board on moorings thru pnw storms, which are cyclonic and cold, sometimes having very low barometic pressure and packing some wicked winds. 60-90+ kts have been recorded in these more frequently than many believe. they are just too frequent to name, and COLD.
What? You don't like being blasted with ice water.
Old 14-11-2011, 11:42   #58

not my idea of a good time!!! prefer warm, fun rain!!! this stuff rocks!!!!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:48   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Right the safest way is to stay in a hotel a few nights,.......in Kansas.
Old 02-12-2011, 15:22   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

You can come stay with me in Utah -if the storm surge climbs to 5000 feet I think there will be nothing to worry about. It will all be gone.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote