Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2024, 06:30   #106

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: HURRICANE BERYL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
There will always be exceptions to the "rule". When Super storm Sandy hit (2012) my area it was devastating. I attempted to get to the boat but flooded roads prevented me from getting to the boatyard. After the storm I found my dingy had been over turned at the dingy dock and the outboard was on the harbor bottom. My boat was a 1000 feet from where I left it still attached to the mooring. Luckily it had no damage. No storms of note have hit in the 14 years since. A year or two after Sandy I rode out a Nor'easter onboard. It is something I will never do again and made me realize that there would be very little one could do on board once the storm hits. Plus it was not fun feeling like I was in a washing machine.

Increased Insurance costs will certainly be an issue which may drive even more people to give up their boats and create a downward spiral as there will be less boats to insure and prices will increase as Insurance companies try to make a profit or drop providing policies. The risk reward equation also may push people back on land and who could blame them once places like Grenada are not the safe place they once were. Though this storm may be a one in 60 year event too. I guess the Actuaries at the Insurance companies will be crunching the numbers soon.

Well the actuaries in my international cover had excluded Grenada, AND Trinidad from named storm damage back in 2014 (Bottom of zone was 10D N) so if the insurers have since allowed competitive creep back up to Grenada that was not a good long term underwriting strategy.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:48   #107

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

someone here in St Lucia said that La Marin had experienced 3 meter high surge and there was significant damage to some of the docks. Has anyone heard anything??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 11:05   #108

Next!

Beryl — with maximum sustained winds of 145 mph, category 4 — is currently located about 75 miles southeast of Kingston, Jamaica, moving west-northwest at 18 mph.

A hurricane warning is now in effect for Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Cayman Brac and the coast of Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula from Puerto Costa Maya to Cancun.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 11:10   #109

Insurance implications:

"Shares of European insurers fell sharply on Tuesday as Beryl became the earliest ever Category 5 storm to emerge in the Atlantic, raising fears of a long and damaging hurricane season. The STOXX Europe 600 Insurance Index lost 2.1% as Beazley stumbled 5.2%, Swiss Re shed 5%, Hannover Rueck dropped 4.7% and Muenchener Rueckversicherungs Gesellschaft retreated 4.4%.

Beryl, which was upgraded to a Category 5 storm, the highest rating, on Monday as its winds reached 165 miles per hour, has already hit the Windward Islands and Grenada and is expected to approach Jamaica on Wednesday."

. . .

Hurricane Katrina caused extreme damage to New Orleans and is believed to have resulted in nearly 1,400 deaths. It cost the global insurance sector $102 billion, according to Statista, dwarfing the next biggest catastrophe payout, Hurricane Ian in 2002, which hit the U.S. and Cuba and saw insurance losses of $56 billion. UBS’s Hardcastle said that the last time a big storm took a path similar to Beryl’s — Hurricane Ivan in 2004 — “the insurance loss itself to Caribbean islands would appear to have been <$10bn.” The stock-market reaction to Beryl was so harsh because the storm’s intensity and timing suggests a potentially extended and costly Atlantic storm season, "

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...d=BingNewsSerp
Old 03-07-2024, 12:16   #110

Insurance named storm zones:

"Grenada is usually considered to be below the hurricane belt – some yacht insurance companies have historically specified 12°30’N as the official limitation, which means anchorages on the far south of the island are theoretically below it (others define the southern edge of their named winter storm area as far down as 9°N, which includes Trinidad and Tobago)."

Grenada has not experienced a severe hurricane since 2004, when Category 3 Hurricane Ivan hit the southeast Caribbean, causing catastrophic damage."

https://www.yachtingworld.com/all-la...vacuate-152244
Old 03-07-2024, 15:29   #111

After Beryl. High quality drone footage of Carriacou.

RIglehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 04:48   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“Beryl” is on lashing Mexico's Tulum area [Yucatan Peninsula] with high winds, flooding rains, and dangerous coastal flooding.
The storm will then enter the Gulf of Mexico, for its final charge toward Mexico’s East Coast, or the western U.S. Gulf Coast [Texas?], early next week.

Slightly unfavourable conditions, around Beryl, finally forced the storm to lose major hurricane status, on Thursday; as the system’s winds dropped to 175 km/h [109 MPH, 94.5 knots], making it a strong Category 2 Hurricane; but thern restrengthened to a Category 3 storm, later Thursday, and by 10 p.m. it had maximum sustained winds of 185 km/h [115 mph]. .

Hurricane Beryl is a historic storm. Over the past couple of days, the storm has set records for:
• The earliest Category 5 hurricane on record, beating 2005’s Hurricane Emily.
• The earliest Category 4 hurricane on record, beating 2005’s Hurricane Dennis.
• The earliest hurricane so far east in the tropical Atlantic on record
• This is also the first time since 1966 we’ve seen a major hurricane before the July 4th holiday

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 04:51   #113

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Noonsite has good information: https://www.noonsite.com/news/caribb...-you-can-help/
Old 06-07-2024, 04:38   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Beryl hit Mexico [near Tulum], as a Category 2 hurricane, after leaving a trail of destruction, and at least 11 dead*, across the Caribbean region. but weakened to a tropical storm, as it moved across the Yucatan peninsula.
The U.S. National Hurricane Center expects Beryl to regain hurricane strength, once it re-emerges into the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, where it is forecast to head toward northern Mexico, near the Texas border.

* Three people have been reported dead in Grenada, three in St. Vincent and the Grenadine, three in Venezuela, and two in Jamaica.

Tropical Storm Beryl at 22.2°N - 91.3°W Gulf of Mexico
Last observation: 06 Jul 2024 - 11:00 UTC
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/goe...4#homePageLink

Old 06-07-2024, 11:35   #115

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Sailing Fair Isle has just released a video showing his decision making process before he left the southern side of Grenada on Sunday afternoon, about 24 hours before Beryl hit northern Grenada the next morning at 11am.

https://youtu.be/i4-DMHlHtpQ?si=v4DNT9iLYNTYxh2a

In summary:
He was single handing. He initially relocated from Prickly Bay to neighbouring Secret Harbour in Grenada, even reanchored to let out out more chain, then very sensibly (to my mind) upped anchor and headed towards Trinidad. He tucked into Chacachacare Bay overnight and at 3am with a following wind he headed back to Grenada to meet up with his wife who was flying in on Wednesday. It looks like he had an easy trip both ways.

It is helpful to review the tactics of experienced sailors such as this who avoided not only damage, but unnecessary risk. The southern side of Grenada ended up avoiding the worst winds, but 8 boats still ended up aground on the northern beach in Prickly Bay.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 11:52   #116

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
“Beryl” is on lashing Mexico's Tulum area [Yucatan Peninsula] with high winds, flooding rains, and dangerous coastal flooding.
The storm will then enter the Gulf of Mexico, for its final charge toward Mexico’s East Coast, or the western U.S. Gulf Coast [Texas?], early next week.

Slightly unfavourable conditions, around Beryl, finally forced the storm to lose major hurricane status, on Thursday; as the system’s winds dropped to 175 km/h [109 MPH, 94.5 knots], making it a strong Category 2 Hurricane; but thern restrengthened to a Category 3 storm, later Thursday, and by 10 p.m. it had maximum sustained winds of 185 km/h [115 mph]. .

Hurricane Beryl is a historic storm. Over the past couple of days, the storm has set records for:
• The earliest Category 5 hurricane on record, beating 2005’s Hurricane Emily.
• The earliest Category 4 hurricane on record, beating 2005’s Hurricane Dennis.
• The earliest hurricane so far east in the tropical Atlantic on record
• This is also the first time since 1966 we’ve seen a major hurricane before the July 4th holiday

I was just looking at that, looks like Corpus Christi is in for another battering, if it goes up the west side of town as it appears to be predicted here, the strong side of the storm is going to go directly over town.

That is going to be a mess.

I lived in Corpus for several years, went to college there and knowing what I know about the landscape, if the storm does this, it will be bad. There are a lot of cheaply built houses out there.
Old 08-07-2024, 02:22   #117
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As of 400 AM CDT [[5:00 AM EDT/9:00 AM UTC/Zulu], Monday, July 08, 2024

CENTER OF BERYL MAKES LANDFALL NEAR MATAGORDA TEXAS, near latitude 28.6 North, longitude 96.0 West, with maximum sustained winds near 80 mph (130 km/h), with higher gusts. Steady to rapid weakening is expected, as the center moves inland, over eastern Texas [towards the Lower Mississippi, & Ohio Valley[s].

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for: Mesquite Bay to Sabine Pass, including Matagorda Bay and Galveston Bay.

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for: The Texas coast from Mesquite Bay northward to Port Bolivar

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for: The Texas coast north of Port Bolivar to Sabine Pass

Old 09-07-2024, 04:09   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tropical Storm Beryl's howling winds, and torrential rain, killed [at least] two [more] people, closed oil ports, grounded hundreds of flights, and knocked out power to more than 2 million homes and businesse,s in southeast Texas, on Monday.
A 53-year-old man, and a 74-year-old woman, were killed, in two incidents, by trees, that fell on their homes, in the Houston area, on Monday,

Old 10-07-2024, 10:34   #119

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...e5a08f4&ei=153

"Colorado State University (CSU) has increased its forecast for the 2024 Atlantic hurricane season, predicting more named storms and hurricanes than their initial predictions.

The revised forecast anticipates 14 named storms, up from the original prediction of 12. Seven are expected to become hurricanes, an increase from the initial forecast of 6, and three could potentially intensify into major hurricanes.

The university's Department of Atmospheric Science attributes the revised forecast to the unusually warm sea surface temperatures in the Atlantic and Caribbean, coupled with the absence of strong vertical wind shear that usually helps to suppress hurricane development."

Old 16-07-2024, 19:11   #120

Video of someone who was tied up in the mangroves at Tyrell bay

scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal