Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2011, 12:52   #16

Boat: PETERSON 44
Re: Hurricane Irene

I think its not really a interface issue. One is showing the position of the storm and track but if the cold front pushes down while it tracks up the coast that would take some of the punch out of Irene. The forecasters have backed off the scenario a bit. I would really like to see the Red Ls get off the map and have a big blue H up north start pushing down in the next few days. No expert but that's way I am interpreting the forecasts
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 13:21   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

To those of you on the hard.... REMEMBER TO TIE YOUR STANDS TO EACH OTHER!
Old 23-08-2011, 13:23   #18

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
HyLyte;

Are you getting your info from Passageweather.com by viewing the wester atlantic GFS models, and stepping through the images? One thing I thought was odd was the barbs did not show hurricane force winds, but show them maxing out at 45kts. Perhaps an interface issue?

Chris
Chris--These are not like the downloads of the GFS Model that one can obtain with some of the dedicated weather modules--for example with MaxSea. On Passageweather generally I look at both the background colors for the estimated range of wind speeds and the number of barbs displayed within that color range. For example, the "Purple" indicates 50+ knots. I assume that four barbs within that color range means 50+40=90 knots. That may or may not be correct but based upon our experience with lower wind ranges (0-20 knots) seems close. Of course, one must also add the speed of advance if east of the eye, or deduct it if west (when north of the equator).

N'any case, I hope you are all "lucky" (and well prepared if you are not).

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 14:04   #19

Boat: Irwin 40

To the OP in Holden beach and I think I saw someone in Topsial I would recommend moving to one of the yards up the Cape Fear river. There are 3-4 yards far enough up to offer good protection. I am in Wilmington marine center one of the best I think but a small yard.

For sailboats I do not recommend hauling unless you have lots of stands and are tied down with helical anchors. I have seen too many sailboats blown off the stands by the wind age of the rigs.

I damn near lost a P-30 once in a cat 2.

Also make sure if you do haul the stands are tied together and not just with that wimpy chain most yards use, get some good ratchet tie downs for trucks.

Good luck to all in the path of this one I will stay aboard if it is less than cat 4.

The fun never stops, and pray for those in the Bahamas now!
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 14:47   #20

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
To those of you on the hard.... REMEMBER TO TIE YOUR STANDS TO EACH OTHER!
RIGHT. My yard will not haul sailboats for hurricanes, unless the rig is removed.
I saw a Frers 41 mast take out three other boats when it fell over.
Good luck guys, I'm sorry to say, but I'm glad this one is on your side of the stream.
Old 23-08-2011, 15:37   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Chris--These are not like the downloads of the GFS Model that one can obtain with some of the dedicated weather modules--for example with MaxSea. On Passageweather generally I look at both the background colors for the estimated range of wind speeds and the number of barbs displayed within that color range. For example, the "Purple" indicates 50+ knots. I assume that four barbs within that color range means 50+40=90 knots. That may or may not be correct but based upon our experience with lower wind ranges (0-20 knots) seems close. Of course, one must also add the speed of advance if east of the eye, or deduct it if west (when north of the equator).

N'any case, I hope you are all "lucky" (and well prepared if you are not).

FWIW...
Chris et al--

The foregoing is erronious. I went back and looked the the Passageweather images very closely--zoomed in at 150%--and realized that the "feathers" really are storm "tri-angles" in the higher wind speed fields. A Triangle--shaped like a Burge--signifies 50 knots so that, in the Purple colored areas, the wind speeds are reported at 60 to 75 knots, and in a few cases, at 100 knots, (plus or minus forward motion). My original assumption was close but not correct. Sorry for the bad info...

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 23-08-2011, 15:45   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Track Hurricane Irene / Stormpulse / Hurricanes, severe weather, tracking, mapping
try this site,box on the right displays all the predicted storm tracks from various prediction sites,click on forecast models
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 15:49   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

good luck, be safe, tie firmly and hold fast. our turn comes sooner than we want......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 15:51   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
Track Hurricane Irene / Stormpulse / Hurricanes, severe weather, tracking, mapping
try this site,box on the right displays all the predicted storm tracks from various prediction sites,click on forecast models

Atoll--Great site!!! Thanx
Old 23-08-2011, 15:54   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i love stormpulse. is my lifeline when storms are forming .
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 16:00   #26

Boat: Bayfield 40' Silent Running

Irene did not do much here in the Dominican Republic. I wish all other places get the same. Take care and prepare
d0ug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 16:06   #27

I just stopped taking my sails off and put my new 3-stranders back down below after the latest forecast. Whew!!!
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 17:21   #28

Boat: O'Day 28

I consulted with my panel of ancient mariners over at the Handlebar here in Bofort, NC this afternoon. One and all thought it would continue to creep East and away from us. There was alcohol involved. No hotlinks provided. These guys have worked this water for 50 years. FWIW
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 17:27   #29

Boat: Island Packet 35
I appreciate all the advice...this is our first year on a sailboat and our first storm. We are at Herrington bay, about halfway up the Chesapeake Bay. Any recommendations?
Hotel L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 17:34   #30

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Herrington got hit pretty hard during Isabel. Rhodes river, west river by harges, and tent house creek r pretty good spots. Need good ground tackle.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane