Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 04:14   #166
cruiser

Re: Ocean Concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Excerpt from Summary

Global annually averaged surface air temperature has increased by about 1.8°F (1.0°C) over the last 115 years (1901–2016). This period is now the warmest in the history of modern civilization. The last few years have also seen record-breaking, climate-related weather extremes, and the last three years have been the warmest years on record for the globe. These trends are expected to continue over climate timescales.
This assessment concludes, based on extensive evidence, that it is extremely likely that human activi- ties, especially emissions of greenhouse gases, are the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century. For the warming over the last century, there is no convincing alternative explanation supported by the extent of the observational evidence.
In addition to warming, many other aspects of global climate are changing, primarily in response to hu- man activities. Thousands of studies conducted by researchers around the world have document- ed changes in surface, atmospheric, and oceanic temperatures; melting glaciers; diminishing snow cover; shrinking sea ice; rising sea levels; ocean acidification; and increasing atmospheric water vapor.
" Florida went from 2006 thru 2016 without a single hurricane---is that one of your WEATHER EXTREMES?" LOL
geoleo is offline   Reply
Old 05-11-2017, 05:45   #167

Boat: Heritage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
" Florida went from 2006 thru 2016 without a single hurricane---is that one of your WEATHER EXTREMES?" LOL
I actually think it is! Considering Hurricanes are natural to the region and have been for a very long time, Not having them may or is un-natural.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply
Old 05-11-2017, 05:51   #168
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
The Yale 6 Americas program does a fair job at explaining who has what position. It’s been some years now since I’ve looked at it closely. Way back they actually posted the various questions and demographics of the answers. Don’t know if that is still available, I think not.

If you drudged through the data sets you could see that the “deniers” were principally: older, well educated, home owners, white. In short they are the cohort who have been treated best by BAU, and who have to most to loose. They are also our captains of industry and our legislators.

AND, no surprise, well represented here.

Global Warming's Six Americas - Yale Program on Climate Change Communication

Note that by November 2016 only 9% of the population are “dismissive” of climate change. I think the demographics explain why we seem to have a higher percentage here.
Yale also gave us the Clintons , CIA idiots and a host of Bushtards -no thanks
Old 05-11-2017, 05:57   #169
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Hurricanes making landfall on US territory is not the point.

That same period had increasing, all-time record setting numbers of ferocious hurricanes getting spawned.

Caribbean islands, Latin America and even Europe affected.

This is not an issue where borders have any relevance.
john61ct is offline   Reply
Old 05-11-2017, 06:10   #170
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ahh.. So what your saying is.. because some parts of Earth are drying out and getting lighter other parts get so wet the ground water floods over and all this building extra weight transfer is affecting the wobble..
Feasable as anything else I suppose..
Dude is really into wobbling!
Old 05-11-2017, 06:15   #171
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Hurricanes making landfall on US territory is not the point.

That same period had increasing, all-time record setting numbers of ferocious hurricanes getting spawned.

Caribbean islands, Latin America and even Europe affected.

This is not an issue where borders have any relevance.
Everybody better sell their boats and head to the mountains then as the 5 inch rise in sea levels since 1900 will flood the entire coastlines for way inland all the Liberals on the coasts will be put out of biz! (I hope)
Old 05-11-2017, 06:17   #172
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Yesterday I read in some publications the biggest iceberg is just about to melt and the sea level could rise by 6m (18ft) in a very short time.

Guess what - great news! The area we can sail about in the future will be larger and the blue water region too - it will be warmer!
And we can do drive-trough shopping with our boats...

YEAH!!
Old 05-11-2017, 07:29   #173
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
At any rate the money spent on scientific research is a far better investment for the world than the same money spent on superyachts and mansions for the top 1%. .
Ta Da....and our good friend Snowpetrel just let the cat out of the Bag.
See it IS all about the money once again and in his view (and many on the left) they view the State, the Government, the Bureaucrats, the better people as more fit and a better choice than the average Joe Slug Consumer to more smartly decide where the money is spent. See the guys with Yachts are evil 1%, so how can we trust THEM to spend THEIR money wisely. No...we can't. So rather than the invisible hand of market forces and Freedom, we must have the tyrannical hand of Government direct and spend their money. That is the justification for millions, hundreds of millions of human deaths and it is a VERY Dangerous mentality. Not because I say so...but because the records of Human History Prove it to be True. Why are so many on the left and in the MMGWC Science Deniers of Human History and of simple Economics?

For those who doubt what the MMGWC is really all about (Money) you had one of you own confirm it...getting even with those evil 1%ers who don't know how best to spend their money...BINGO.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 05-11-2017, 08:16   #174

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
See it IS all about the money once again and in his view (and many on the left) they view the State, the Government, the Bureaucrats, the better people as more fit and a better choice than the average Joe Slug Consumer to more smartly decide where the money is spent. See the guys with Yachts are evil 1%, so how can we trust THEM to spend THEIR money wisely. No...we can't. So rather than the invisible hand of market forces and Freedom, we must have the tyrannical hand of Government direct and spend their money. That is the justification for millions, hundreds of millions of human deaths and it is a VERY Dangerous mentality. Not because I say so...but because the records of Human History Prove it to be True. Why are so many on the left and in the MMGWC Science Deniers of Human History and of simple Economics?

For those who doubt what the MMGWC is really all about (Money) you had one of you own confirm it...getting even with those evil 1%ers who don't know how best to spend their money...BINGO.
Wow. Just wow.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply
Old 05-11-2017, 08:27   #175
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Wow. Just wow.
I know...I am on today, where else are you gonna stumble into such a dose of reality? Maybe it's because I'm in a great mood today since I'm spraying the last coast on my Mizzen Mast this afternoon and can then start on the Main...

I'd like a Diet Coke with Combo No 14 and lets supersize that please...thanks.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:29   #176

Boat: Tartan 3000

Odd to find so many climate experts on a sailing forum.

Hysterical to read though.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply
Old 05-11-2017, 08:33   #177
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Florida View Post
Hysterical to read though.
Mission Accomplished.
Might as well head off to painting now, another happy reader!
Old 05-11-2017, 09:08   #178

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Wow. Just wow.
I love these sorts of reactions. It often takes a stun grenade from our good shipmate Third Day, but it means a brief, involuntary removal from someone's safe space back into the world of reality. "You mean there's actually people who believe such things?!"

I'm not trying to pick on anyone in particular. Just pointing out that it's only human nature to only want to surround ourselves with like-minded people & thoughts, who only then serve to reinforce our own points of view. Soon people literally can't understand how or why someone else can think differently. The next step is rationalizing it all by labeling, stigmatizing, profiling, stereotyping, etc. the "other side." In short, it's intolerance, and it's as old and natural a human trait as there is.

OK, back to the "scientific" debate.
Exile is online now   Reply
Old 05-11-2017, 10:39   #179

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:

To you, the purer person with an apolitcal stance on the subject is not the person devoted to understanding the climate (either way), but someone who has made their fortune off the earths resources... they couldn't possible want to preserve their money making machine? But those pesky scientist... they all have evil greed and will doctor facts to make their narrative work?

To you, is there anyone one that could say that MMGW was real and you'd believe them?

When 13 US government agencies, as diverse as the Department of Defense, US Amry Corp of engineering, NOAA, Nasa, US National Laboratories, a dozen respected universities come out with a document (released by a MMGW denying White House) and say the man made part is real, I'd at least listen/read.

I also see you paint the "believers" as people that hate the 1% or success... liberals. That isn't always true.... I love money, wish I had some, and love what individuals success has done for this country. But, a lot of us also like the planet and are worried about the changes that are happening right now and in the future.

Couldn't successful people easily transition from detrimental business into something more earth friendly and still profit? It's not the elimination of wealth, it's the evolution into also caring and learning about what our actions are doing to the planet. A good example of evolving when you realize the negative impact your product is having is big Tobacco's push into e-cig... evolving sure seems to have worked for them.

In your opinion, at what point does being wealthy and spending your own money have a limit? I'm sure murder is out, but what else should we not be able to buy, destroy or sell that effect other people? Some accountability and policing is needed as it's often too late by the time the average Joe sees the negative effects of just choosing the lowest priced/easiest option. The answer is not big government restrictions, but internal control and sometimes a tap on the nose if we stray away for positive choices. We just need to agree on the direction to take so the Gov doesn't need to step in and become larger.
Matt
Old 05-11-2017, 11:32   #180
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
To you, the purer person with an apolitcal stance on the subject is not the person devoted to understanding the climate (either way), but someone who has made their fortune off the earths resources... they couldn't possible want to preserve their money making machine? But those pesky scientist... they all have evil greed and will doctor facts to make their narrative work?

To you, is there anyone one that could say that MMGW was real and you'd believe them?

When 13 US government agencies, as diverse as the Department of Defense, US Amry Corp of engineering, NOAA, Nasa, US National Laboratories, a dozen respected universities come out with a document (released by a MMGW denying White House) and say the man made part is real, I'd at least listen/read.

I also see you paint the "believers" as people that hate the 1% or success... liberals. That isn't always true.... I love money, wish I had some, and love what individuals success has done for this country. But, a lot of us also like the planet and are worried about the changes that are happening right now and in the future.

Couldn't successful people easily transition from detrimental business into something more earth friendly and still profit? It's not the elimination of wealth, it's the evolution into also caring and learning about what our actions are doing to the planet. A good example of evolving when you realize the negative impact your product is having is big Tobacco's push into e-cig... evolving sure seems to have worked for them.

In your opinion, at what point does being wealthy and spending your own money have a limit? I'm sure murder is out, but what else should we not be able to buy, destroy or sell that effect other people? Some accountability and policing is needed as it's often too late by the time the average Joe sees the negative effects of just choosing the lowest priced/easiest option. The answer is not big government restrictions, but internal control and sometimes a tap on the nose if we stray away for positive choices. We just need to agree on the direction to take so the Gov doesn't need to step in and become larger.
Matt
Thanks Matt, but you show you hand in falsely assuming there is some Big Oil and Fossle Fuel Conspiracy of Big Money holding down the little guy from buying more green and Environmentally friendly sources of power and anything else. That's my point exactly and where the MMGWC gets it wrong. The burning of carbon based fossil fuels has raised more people out of poverty than any social program in the history of the world! That wasn't done by the hand of Government steering people away from Oxen or the Horse and Buddy. That was done because the Poor, Middle Class AND Wealthy all benefitted from the technology. But what we have now...in this fake MMGW Scam is the educated elite trying to dictate what consumers can and want to buy...simply put....it doesn't work. When Solar panels on a house makes financial sense...then people will buy them, but until then it is folly to push them and raise the costs on the poor. For example, California has some of the highest costs of electricity in the Country...why...because the feel good MMGWC-ists have mandated that 1/3 and soon 1/2 of California's electricity must come from "renewables other than Nuke". So who pays...the poor and middle class while the leftist gets his feel good, I'm a better person program, the Company in favor gets a slush fund kick-back and the American Consumer gets screwed. Why is a poor guy subsidizing $7500 for every Tesla on the Road? Why is a poor guy forced to pay more for his power because some rich guy in power things he should?

When you distort the Free Market you no longer have Freedom, but crony Crapitalism which is what we have today and why people are figuring out both Political Parties are screwing them.

Now as to the science....
When the models used to tell us CO2 is destroying the planet can be proven to work (IE make accurate predictions of the present or past) then we can start to believe them. That, if you follow the science and not hype, has not happened yet. Why...because it's FAKE...a Fraud...a Scam all about power and control of Trillions of dollars. The Paris Climate Accord that we wisely pulled out of...lets say we stayed in and the world followed it to the T...you know what would happen? Nothing...it wouldn't make a difference EXCEPT to move Trillions of dollars around...again...BINGO. It's not about Climate Science, it's about income distribution and punishing the evil rich countries by making them pay reparations to the poor countries.

Remember....what I did for a living...testing power plants, emission control, presenting air emission papers and control technology at the same conferences you guys look to as Gods! So as the only one in this discussion that was once on the Inside of the Scam but got out when I saw it...I have a little more credibility on the subject than the average Bozo. Ask the questions...why is the data being "adjusted" to make it fit the models? Ask the Question, why can't the models that are predicting our CO2 doom accurately predict the future or past? Because they are Bogus and driven by the quest for control. The same Population Bomb Scam folks mixed forces with the discredited Commies and formed the Green Movement...folks you may not want to hear it, but why are all the Leftists around the world also Greens? Because they are one in the same. Hate me for saying it...but I've seen under the curtain and it ain't what you think.
Closed Thread