Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 18:58   #61

Boat: Tanzer 22
Re: Tortola BVI hit with 206 MPH wind gusts

The pictures are heart breaking. I would hate to be in the market for buying a boat right now. The used boat prices are going to sky rocket and many totaled boats will hit the market without a word about previous damage. Probably won't be a bad time to be selling a boat.
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 19:03   #62

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
perhaps if these very lucrative TAX HAVEN islands actually charged a bit of tax for stashing the ill gotten gains of much of europe and usa they might be able to afford basic equipment
I agree, however as in every country that does the same, it's the few that prosper and the majority that suffer. America, North Dakota and Deleware compete and win at tax havens, we just turn the blind eye and blame others.

Yes they had/should have the resources to care for their citizens but they haven't made that effort. I can't turn my back upon good people and friends. Hopefully when all is said and done they might be called out by the already angry population. I'm just trying to get out the word that suseptable people need our help now.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 19:06   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
Well they do actually but very little gets past the local government officials. Having grown up in the BVI, I am astonished at how much money has been brought to the islands since the 70's and how little the infrastructure has benefited from it. There is an incredible amount of palm greasing going on. But that is better left for another thread.
perhaps the turks and caicos thread when the uk tax payer gets to bail them out as well, after the aftermath about to happen to our next biggest tax haven, next to the cayman islands

thoughts and prayers for the people,animals and their property,not so much for the offshore bankers............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 19:14   #64

Quote:
first flight in today to st martin from aruba by dutch airforce,another nz navy ship standing by off of sxm currently
.uk navy on the way to anguilla plus
,uk gov just sent another ship RFA Mounts bay with £32 million in aid.

this is what joe bloggs public pay their taxes for to support these far flung tax havens in times of need.............
I know and I'm happy to know support is on the way. And i have to laugh because i spend a great deal of time reading the news sites. Ahhh the coments on articles! Precious snippets they are.
Old 07-09-2017, 19:24   #65

Quote:
perhaps the turks and caicos thread when the uk tax payer gets to bail them out as well, after the aftermath about to happen to our next biggest tax haven, next to the cayman islands

thoughts and prayers for the people,animals and their property,not so much for the offshore bankers............
Just how would you expect them to continue to fund their colonies if they weren't producing income for themselves? Sure, they are illgotten funds from "legal" ( bwahaha hahaha hahaha) tax evaders. But also laundry from slavery, drug trade, war. We won't be able to change that. perhaps our children might?

Puppet countries enabling such activity. The people are treated poorly. The politions corrupt. The "mother " country making bank, literally.
Old 07-09-2017, 20:12   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
For anyone who is trying to get information from Nanny Cay. Just received this from a group on facebook with family or friends on Nanny Cay. It seems that only those with a Sat phone are able to make any outside contact.

......All the hard standing boats have been blown over and most boats in the marina have been destroyed. He is in the new condos facing the ocean and they have sustained minor flooding to the ground floor.
No electricity or water of course and it doesn't look liveable for the near future.
Do you know if anyone has had contact with Keith Ligreci at Nanny Cay. He is a good friend if the family and we know he stayed on the island but no contact with him
Karen58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 20:13   #67

Im trying to find out if anyone has had any contact with keith ligreci at nanny cay.
Karen58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 20:21   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Just how would you expect them to continue to fund their colonies if they weren't producing income for themselves? Sure, they are illgotten funds from "legal" ( bwahaha hahaha hahaha) tax evaders. But also laundry from slavery, drug trade, war. We won't be able to change that. perhaps our children might?

Puppet countries enabling such activity. The people are treated poorly. The politions corrupt. The "mother " country making bank, literally.
no worries there,all they have to do is offer to return the money to the account holders in their country of nationality via the A/C holders national bank less a moderate handleing fee or keeping things as is minus a 1% yearly tax on all funds,that will more than pay for all reconstruction and aid post natural disaters, and any leftover should create a nice GDP for these tiny nations hideing trillions in taxpayers money
Old 07-09-2017, 20:38   #69

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen58 View Post
Im trying to find out if anyone has had any contact with keith ligreci at nanny cay.
Found this on a facebook group

"Heard from Jolan and he was with Keith last night and this morning. He didn't say anything about the house, but if they had breakfast I think they are good. I'll try to get more info if I can."

This is the link to the conversation. Hope that helps.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1922...eith%20Ligreci
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:30   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post

well said girl,,, but dont give up on our generation just yet..
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:56   #71

Boat: Monk 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasailor View Post
Don't be a moron!
Then I must be a moron as well. I bet more than one person is curious about that. What - just dump them at sea with oil, fuel, debris inside?
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:57   #72

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

For anyone looking for more Hurricane Irma / Jose News and Pictures

GO HERE - Hurricane Irma Photo Map - NAPSG Foundation

ITS ALL VERY SAD STUFF, but it may help bring clarity to cruisers looking for friends and there boats.

Just zoom into your area of interest along the path of Hurricane Irma / Jose and click on all the photo's and text

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/StoryMap...7f0cae0f2c4be6
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:58   #73

Boat: Monk 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
The pictures are heart breaking. I would hate to be in the market for buying a boat right now. The used boat prices are going to sky rocket and many totaled boats will hit the market without a word about previous damage. Probably won't be a bad time to be selling a boat.
I've been seriously considering selling my Leopard 40. Already arranged is a value survey. I don't intend to gouge - it's not the right thing to do.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:07   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
For anyone looking for more News and Pictures

ITS ALL VERY SAD STUFF, but it may help bring clarity to cruisers looking for friends and there boats.

Just zoom into your area of interest and click on all the photo's and text

Fantastic way to present the information. Who set this site up? It talks about being crowd sourced, but not much info about who to contact how to do it going forward other areas
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:22   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
For anyone looking for more Hurricane Irma / Jose News and Pictures

Just zoom into your area of interest along the path of Hurricane Irma / Jose and click on all the photo's and text

i guess that is why photos have been dissapearing on face book!
they must be copywriting them or something for intellectual property..............at least somebody is going to make a buck out of the misery.....

Tags
BVI, wind