Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 05:45   #76

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Tortola BVI hit with 206 MPH wind gusts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Yes they had/should have the resources to care for their citizens but they haven't made that effort. I can't turn my back upon good people and friends. Hopefully when all is said and done they might be called out by the already angry population. I'm just trying to get out the word that suseptable people need our help now.

I think you'd find that many of the affected people on these islands enjoy their simple lives without a big government infrastructure ready to "care" for them and would prefer it to stay that way. These catastrophic storms don't happen often and it would be silly to have "resources" stockpiled, unused for years or even decades, all over the Caribbean that would be constantly needing replenishment and warehouses (that would be vulnerable to being destroyed by a storm like this) to store them and ships (that would also likely be destroyed in a hurricane) to transport these supplies to where they are needed.

You say you can't turn your back on good people but what are you doing to help them? Many governments c
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:56   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I think you'd find that many of the affected people on these islands enjoy their simple lives without a big government infrastructure ready to "care" for them and would prefer it to stay that way. These catastrophic storms don't happen often and it would be silly to have "resources" stockpiled, unused for years or even decades, all over the Caribbean that would be constantly needing replenishment and warehouses (that would be vulnerable to being destroyed by a storm like this) to store them and ships (that would also likely be destroyed in a hurricane) to transport these supplies to where they are needed.

You say you can't turn your back on good people but what are you doing to help them? Many governments c
FYI
the british navy keeps at least 1 very large supply vessel at sea in the eastern caribbean during hurricane season,on rotation.the ship is stocked with disaster relief supplies , personell and equipment, at the british tax payers expense,to provide support for our colonies and commonwealth nations.

http://www.forces.net/news/tri-servi...hurricane-irma
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:13   #78

Boat: Caliber 33

Not that it matters now, but Conch charters posted these 3 pics of the hurricane hole (not specified which one) prior to Irma on their Facebook page. Hope all their people are ok and that they will be able to recover physically, emotionally and financially. One of those boats is supposed to be my December charter. If they have a boat for me, I will go poor as much tourism money back in the BVIs.

https://www.facebook.com/conchchartersbvi/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Conch1.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	155651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Conch2.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	155652  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Conch3.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	155653  
Laskadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:16   #79

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
FYI
the british navy keeps at least 1 very large supply vessel at sea in the eastern caribbean during hurricane season,on rotation.the ship is stocked with disaster relief supplies , personell and equipment, at the british tax payers expense,to provide support for our colonies and commonwealth nations.

RFA Mounts Bay Arrives In British Virgin Islands After Hurricane Irma
Exactly, and the US and the French governments are already sending aid as well as agencies such as the Red Cross and this happens wherever/whenever there is a large natural disaster. So, I don't know how anyone can say that there is any great shortage of resources available to help these people and the people should "rise up" against that. In such a widespread disaster such as this it will be difficult and will take time to get all the aid to everywhere it's needed but that's not a function of unwillingness to help on anyone's part. Most of the immediately needed aid is relatively simple and relatively inexpensive, in the form of drinking water, medicine, food, and basic shelter. The expensive infrastructure rebuilding will come later, but that's not the sort of thing that locals are as dependent on as are the big money folks and owners of lavish vacation homes. So, rather than turn this thread into a politically oriented rant about the injustice you see in offshore tax havens, lets focus on the good that's being done by many countries and aid organizations, and by perhaps making a personal donation to the organization of your choice that you think will do the victims of this disaster the most good. Unless you happen to be located in the area where this disaster happened, about all any of us can do is to donate and hope that the aid somehow get to where it's most needed. Ranting about tax havens doesn't help anyone.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:50   #80

Quote:
perhaps if these very lucrative TAX HAVEN islands actually charged a bit of tax for stashing the ill gotten gains of much of europe and usa they might be able to afford basic equipment
The rich have always been able to hide their money in tax havens. Now cryptocurrencies like Monero make the tax havens obsolete and it's not just for the rich any more either. Obama warned of the Swiss bank in your pocket problem and it's here today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
Well they do actually but very little gets past the local government officials. Having grown up in the BVI, I am astonished at how much money has been brought to the islands since the 70's and how little the infrastructure has benefited from it. There is an incredible amount of palm greasing going on. But that is better left for another thread.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:16   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberg30Shill View Post
The rich have always been able to hide their money in tax havens. Now cryptocurrencies like Monero make the tax havens obsolete and it's not just for the rich any more either.
Um no, crypto-currencies are also for the rich. The average non-rich, ill-informed investor is just the feedstock. Same as with other speculative investments.

/derail

hoping for fast aid to the affected islands. The wealthier countries need to step up.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:25   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

just a rumor at the moment,but apparently sxm has no government or prime minister as they all flew out on private jets before the hurricane,and haven't been able to get back!
Old 08-09-2017, 11:40   #83

Boat: Gulf 32

Staying on theme here...

Saba Rock badly damaged and Bitter End just destroyed:
VIDEO: Irma rakes Bitter End Yacht Club >> Scuttlebutt Sailing News
Old 08-09-2017, 12:02   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
just a rumor at the moment,but apparently sxm has no government or prime minister as they all flew out on private jets before the hurricane,and haven't been able to get back!
https://www.facebook.com/dick.drayer...11966586512990
it gets worse in st martin,apparently the relief ship has been unable to dock and is leaving,many people are unaware that there is another cat4 hurricane coming.
they are running out of drinking water fast

translated from dutch
Update Sxm

It has been too unsafe to enter into philipsburg without guidance. That's why we're back aboard the zr. Ms. Hewes. Zeeland. The Pelican goes back to curaçao.

We go back after our trip to dodge hurricane Jose. The inhabitants of sxm probably have no idea that a second hurricane is coming...

There were few casualties due to good preparation. But this second hurricane might change that.

There is no order, enforcement and authority. Pm Marlin must convene his council of ministers. There's no communication anywhere. Houses of police officers have been destroyed. Shopkeepers open their doors and let people shop without paying. To avoid problems and to realise that everyone is needy.

Patients are waiting for the hospital to be helped out on the street. 60 dialysis patients need to be helped quickly, otherwise it's too late for them. Medical evacuation is not yet possible.

The Runway is open, but there's no ATC, no power, no fuel. Only military aircraft can land.

The journalists on the island can't lose their story and image. If they can make anything.

I was lucky when I missed my plane Tuesday. Now I can work under the protection and logistics of defense. The Netherlands will have to take a step forward, because everything that sxm makes for its money will otherwise be on its head. The economy on a wiped drip.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:15   #85

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

Quote:
perhaps if these very lucrative TAX HAVEN islands actually charged a bit of tax for stashing the ill gotten gains of much of europe and usa they might be able to afford basic equipment
that's a valid point, sadly!
Old 08-09-2017, 12:39   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsWife View Post
Not sure if you're just dumb or mad, but how do you define a "normal" hurricane?
Well, usually cat 1 or 2 are not catastophes. Cat 1 is >70 MPH. We get that every year in the PNW in the wintertime. Wind force goes up as a "squared" function. So potential damge risk goes up very quickly.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 17:17   #87

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

If you are onboard in the Keys, neither You or your boat will survive. Had I been there, I would have done one of two things, two days ago. Either head south, around the west tip of Cuba, and then east until I could safely anchor behind the island. The wind would be strong but would be blowing offshore, after crossing the mountains. My second option would be to head dead west, as fast as possible, under sail and power, to put as much distance between myself and IRMA as fast as possible. The traditional option, for boats in the Keys has been Little Shark River, a great hurricane hole, but probably not this time. Would love to be wrong on this one, as I am sure that many are there now.
Old 08-09-2017, 18:44   #88

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
If you are onboard in the Keys, neither You or your boat will survive. Had I been there, I would have done one of two things, two days ago. Either head south, around the west tip of Cuba, and then east until I could safely anchor behind the island. The wind would be strong but would be blowing offshore, after crossing the mountains. My second option would be to head dead west, as fast as possible, under sail and power, to put as much distance between myself and IRMA as fast as possible. The traditional option, for boats in the Keys has been Little Shark River, a great hurricane hole, but probably not this time. Would love to be wrong on this one, as I am sure that many are there now.

When the National Weather Service issues a statement like this, it's very serious. Scary.

https://twitter.com/nwskeywest/statu...66219304685568
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 20:14   #89
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Typical takeoff speed for a 800000lb 747 is around 180mph. If you saw a catamaran heading down the runway at those speeds, you'd expect it to rotate and flip long before that point.

Still - shocking to see, I wonder if they removed the 'trampolines' beforehand?

Sent from mTalk
I highly doubt they did anything more than call their insurance company.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 20:25   #90
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Mind boggling pictures. It's hard for me to believe how many catamarans were flipped by the wind. Each flipped vessel has a story to tell, and I would like to know which cats were must vulnerable to flipping in the wind. It's proof positive that if your catamaran is going to be in a hurricane in a boat yard, it's a good idea to drive rebar steel stakes into the ground and strap your catamaran down.
No I think the better idea is head South. There was plenty time to motor far enough away to save millions upon millions of dollars of yachts. Most of these vessels were more than capable of motoring 200 miles south of the storm within two days. Good luck on being able to afford boat insurance after Irma is finished.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, wind