Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2017, 16:08   #106

Re: Tortola BVI hit with 206 MPH wind gusts

Barranquilla river in Columbia could take 5,000 canal-boat-moored charter boats without even noticing.

You could also park the entire fleet in Gatun Lake.

Lots of work to get to either of those sites. However it costs an awful lot less than the combined cost of (a) replacing the fleet plus (b) lost charter income for 2017-2018 season.

Someone will do the math.

I'm grateful my boat survived due to direct action (run from Miami while there was barely still time). My heart goes out to those with broken dreams of canvas pulling their boat forward.

Horrific indeed but we will continue to see these events with an increasing frequency and larger protection plans will be required for both people and boats.

Think big.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 13:28   #107

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Lots of work to get to either of those sites. However it costs an awful lot less than the combined cost of (a) replacing the fleet plus (b) lost charter income for 2017-2018 season.
How would you get the boats there? Sail them individually?

How many qualified boat captains do you think are available, on short notice?
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 13:37   #108

Why would they need a qualified boat captain to sail a boat , even less when you are playing follow the leader ,a reduced charter fee would even still make them money !!
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 14:08   #109

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Why would they need a qualified boat captain to sail a boat , even less when you are playing follow the leader ,a reduced charter fee would even still make them money !!
Because overnight sailing in June or July south of the BVI is not the same thing as daysailing in the BVI.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 15:34   #110

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
This would be good to see. The utilization rate for the fleet during the summer months has to be very low, so they're essentially leaving high value assets in a dangerous position while getting very little current cash flow from them. Might as well put them somewhere safe. I could even see them offering a 'flotilla' package where you follow the leader (staffed by the base pros) and hop down the island chain to Trinidad, and then again on the way back up. All the major rental car companies in the US manage to reposition their vehicles using customers ...

There is no seasons anymore in the BVI... there is "busy season" and "busier season". Seriously.

But with everything including soggy dollar to the Willy-t being gone (including our house on JVD) the islands, let alone the charter industry will take forever to recover.

Now that we have Maria bearing down, it's going to decimate what little is left.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 15:39   #111

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
There is no seasons anymore in the BVI... there is "busy season" and "busier season". Seriously.

But with everything including soggy dollar to the Willy-t being gone (including our house on JVD) the islands, let alone the charter industry will take forever to recover.

Now that we have Maria bearing down, it's going to decimate what little is left.
I hadn't realised, never having been there in the summer - thanks for correcting me! I guess those off-season rates do attract enough biz. I couldn't imagine it, living in the paradise that is the Chesapeake in summer

Sorry to hear about your house on Jost. My uncle was down there dealing with his, and I know everyone is devastated. Hope some part of it is recoverable.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 15:50   #112

Quote:

Ugh. We've lost two BVI institutions. How about Foxy's ??
Old 18-09-2017, 16:14   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post

I'd start with a financial model. One that the proprietors and insurers confirmed (or rejected) to make sure repositioning makes economic sense. This should result in a NPV based on a combination of less capital loss, less charter income loss and lower insurance premiums PLUS repositioning cost.

If that model works then there are plenty of ways to get the boats there. For captains it wouldn't be short notice. The "cruise" would leave on Monday, June 18th, 2018.

1- Discount repositioning rally. Side benefit many more future buyers have now cruised in your yacht. Some will want to keep going

2- Professional crews. 3- Or the Dockwise yacht freighter.

Or 4- sit and wait for the next hit. There are a couple other hurricane holes to consider but my thesis is proprietors/insurers who lost a 75% of their boats would prefer to spend 5% of the fleets value keeping it out of this sort of thing.

All of the above needs to be validated.

Charter companies won't be the only ones rethinking their approach. I suspect FL will start burying more power lines
Old 18-09-2017, 17:04   #114

Quote:

We were wondering about the Willy T. We had so much fun there last year, we kept coming back for more...3 nights out of 10. Loved jumping off the roof, loved hanging out with the guys and just had great time overall...more painkillers please. hic-up.

Is it truly gone? I was hoping with the bow and stern heavy chain it may have survived.
Old 18-09-2017, 18:46   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
We were wondering about the Willy T. We had so much fun there last year, we kept coming back for more...3 nights out of 10. Loved jumping off the roof, loved hanging out with the guys and just had great time overall...more painkillers please. hic-up.

Is it truly gone? I was hoping with the bow and stern heavy chain it may have survived.
You'd think that anchorage would've been well-protected.

It is time to give back to the BVI's.

https://www.virgin.com/unite/bvi-com...support-appeal
Old 18-09-2017, 19:41   #116

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:

I am told this is what is left of Willy T.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1505788838.759928.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	156348

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 20:32   #117

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post

They all don't have to go on the same day. Maybe groups of 5or 6 at a time would work with a Moorings captain in charge of his little flotilla. By "qualified" I meant that for an overnight voyage like this the charter company would have to do a bit more than their normal screening of boat skippers to ascertain that they actually had some offshore experience.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 22:26   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I am told this is what is left of Willy T.

Attachment 156348

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Goodness...sorry to see. Thank you for the reply.
Old 19-09-2017, 01:25   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Because overnight sailing in June or July south of the BVI is not the same thing as daysailing in the BVI.
Thanks , I did not realise that these people have difficulty sailing at night !!
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 05:09   #120

Quote:
Goodness...sorry to see. Thank you for the reply.
Given a welder and a tugboat can The Willy T be refloated?

Tags
BVI, wind