Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2017, 08:04   #121

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Tortola BVI hit with 206 MPH wind gusts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Given a welder and a tugboat can The Willy T be refloated?

Don't know but doubt it's high on list of priorities for folks down there. Beyond basic needs of people in VI how do they even rebuild? Where does all the rubble go? Where do all wrecked boats go? How long does it take to barge in new building materials? How do they clear harbors like nanny cay of all the sunken wrecks and where do they put them?

Bottom line it sounds like years and years of recovery and Maria could set things back even further

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 08:37   #122

Quote:
Given a welder and a tugboat can The Willy T be refloated?
I could be available
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 08:40   #123

You asked a lot of good questions. It's already broadly agreed in the forum and elsewhere that life / sustainment come first.

I would add that once those are out of the way then part of Sir Richard's plan must include restarting the economy. The economy is IIRC majority tourism and banking. Getting either Dr William Thornton's -OR- Soggy's back in operation might be a beacon to restart tourism flow.

I'm hoping that there arent a lot of charters canceling 2018 reservations right now but not sure if they have much choice. How to help?
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 08:48   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
I could be available
You get this done and it's probably a combination of fame and free drinks for life for you Cherod.

Step 1 is getting someone on that beach, who might be there for other survey work, to get 360 hull photos and photos of the path back to the water. If that's SE end of the bight I've beach cleaned that spot. There are rock formations. We need to know if any rock formations on land or in the shallows which would complicate a drag. What's the spec draft and weight on the Willy T?

This of course second to human safety, and subject to the proprietors blessing, but restarting the economy simply MUST be part of the Branson Plan and symbols can resonate far beyond their own actual utility
Old 19-09-2017, 09:10   #125

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
You asked a lot of good questions. It's already broadly agreed in the forum and elsewhere that life / sustainment come first.

I would add that once those is out of the way then part of Sir Richard's plan must include restarting the economy. The economy is IIRC majority tourism and banking. Getting either Dr William Thornton's -OR- Soggy's back in operation might be a beacon to restart tourism flow.

I'm hoping that there arent a lot of charters canceling 2018 reservations right now but not sure if they have much choice. How to help?

I think that 2018 charter cancellations have already happened or will in the next 48 hours and not by choice of the clients. Most of the boats just won't exist. For now at least the priority is securing adequate shelter, drinking water, food, and medical care. Then will come clearing away the mess and rebuilding homes and basic infrastructure. Yes, their economy depends on tourism but the biggest draw is the natural beauty and clear water and warm sunny weather while snow is flying in the population centers to the north, not any particular tourist bar. Willie T was a fun place to drink and watch others get drunk, wild, naked, and crazy, but is SO very far down the list of what needs/deserves attention down there. Maybe someday Willie T will get patched up or replaced by some other derelict vessel, but if not, I'm sure that sailing tourists will find another place to party.

If your home and local infrastructure were being virtually destroyed and your life threatened, how concerned would you be about diverting scarce assets to rebuild a tourist bar on the outskirts of town?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 09:18   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I think that 2018 charter cancellations have already happened or will in the next 48 hours and not by choice of the clients. Most of the boats just won't exist. For now at least the priority is securing adequate shelter, drinking water, food, and medical care. Then will come clearing away the mess and rebuilding homes and basic infrastructure. Yes, their economy depends on tourism but the biggest draw is the natural beauty and clear water and warm sunny weather while snow is flying in the population centers to the north, not any particular tourist bar. Willie T was a fun place to drink and watch others get drunk, wild, naked, and crazy, but is SO very far down the list of what needs/deserves attention down there. Maybe someday Willie T will get patched up or replaced by some other derelict vessel, but if not, I'm sure that sailing tourists will find another place to party.

If your home and local infrastructure were being virtually destroyed and your life threatened, how concerned would you be about diverting scarce assets to rebuild a tourist bar on the outskirts of town?
Hey we AGREE on the order of priorities.
Old 19-09-2017, 14:17   #127

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
You get this done and it's probably a combination of fame and free drinks for life for you Cherod.

Step 1 is getting someone on that beach, who might be there for other survey work, to get 360 hull photos and photos of the path back to the water. If that's SE end of the bight I've beach cleaned that spot. There are rock formations. We need to know if any rock formations on land or in the shallows which would complicate a drag. What's the spec draft and weight on the Willy T?

This of course second to human safety, and subject to the proprietors blessing, but restarting the economy simply MUST be part of the Branson Plan and symbols can resonate far beyond their own actual utility
Agree -

I know a family who ran a low tech resort that got wiped out in a tsunami and lost 19 members of the wider family. They rebuilt and opened for business in 6 or 7 months.
Too many people depended on them for their well being so they just re-fired the engine. Very sad but heroic.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, wind