Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Weather | Gear, Reports and Resources
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 18:17   #1

Boat: Tartan 34C
Tropical Storm Arthur: Will it ruin our vacation to Martha's Vineyard?

Hello All,
Wife and I had planned on taking a trip to nantucket, MV, and Cuttyhunk starting tomorrow morning on our 34 foot Tartan...We were going to come back Sunday...

but now, there is all this talk about Arthur...It is probably not a good idea to go anywhere just in case...Sucks because we took the days off and had everything ready and this storm poped out of no where...

we will continue to monitor it tomorrow morning and make a decision in the morning...

your thoughts on this storm?
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 18:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Tropical Storm Arthur: Will it ruin our vacation to Martha's Vineyard?

Well it is pretty early to tell but based on current forecasts and history of similar hurricanes, Arthur will probably be moving pretty quickly by the time it gets as far north as MV and by Sunday will be far gone.

In your position I might give it a go. There are some good spots to hole up on MV if it does come close. How's your ground tackle?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 18:41   #3

Boat: Sabre 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well it is pretty early to tell but based on current forecasts and history of similar hurricanes, Arthur will probably be moving pretty quickly by the time it gets as far north as MV and by Sunday will be far gone.

In your position I might give it a go. There are some good spots to hole up on MV if it does come close. How's your ground tackle?
I sail out of woods hole and if this storm comes to MV you will not be allowed to stay in edgartown, vineyard haven is too exposed to the north and oak bluff moorings are very closely spaced. None are good places in a hurricane. Quissett, and eel pond if you can find a spot are good hurricane holes on the mainland as is Hadley harbor. We will not know how Arthur will impact MV until wednesday night or Thursday am. It feels more like hurricane bob in 1991 which also came out of nowhere and did a lot of damage to many boats in buzzards bay. Stay safe!
Old 01-07-2014, 18:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not sure where the OP is based but it's just a few hours back across the sound if it looks bad and he wants to go home. Plus on MV you have very well protected anchorages in Tashmoo and the lagoon under the bridge in VH Harbor.
Old 01-07-2014, 20:00   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Southcoasting,

I see your avatar shows Fairhaven as your location. If that's the home port for your Tartan its only 20 miles or so back from MV. I would start the trip and watch the weather closely. If it doesn't look good you aren't far from home.
Old 01-07-2014, 21:26   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I just looked at the projected track, which could turn out to be it's real track, and I am not familiar with the East Coast hurricanes, as my time in cyclone areas has been in the South Seas.

So my input will just be an event that happened to us. We'd been watching this low develop and saunter towards us: it did not at any time go to it's predicted location for a particular time. We charted the predictions and the observations. Finally, someone with a satphone heard a new prediction, it was going to come over our location. The next morning, we beat south in 40 knot winds about 100 miles through the water to a cyclone anchorage, arriving in those coral infested waters about midnight. Used a friend's waypoints programmed to the autopilot to get to the outer anchorage [a first and so far only time thing for us], that had boats in it. At dawn, we worked our way into the hole from the outer anchorage, buoyed the anchor when we anchored (so late arrivals could avoid it) stripped the ship, and hunkered down to wait. It went elsewhere, in the end.

So I would say, keep a close eye on the weather, but be certain your tackle is up to it, and that there will be somewhere you can go that will be safe. In bad weather, anchorages fill up fast, and the people don't always agree on strategies or honor anchoring rules. Consider that it is not those of us who suggest it MIGHT be okay for you to go who will have to pay for damage that could accrue. It could, indeed, wreck your 4th of July--either way. It may be that the guy who said forthrightly, "give it a miss" is giving you the very best advice of all.

I hope it works out well, whichever way you decide. "Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."

Ann
Old 02-07-2014, 00:41   #7

Boat: O'Day 28

This went from ho hum to oh hell! in a couple of hours between advisories yesterday afternoon, a little too late to do much about it. We'll be scrambling today with the sunrise. Here's the best reason in the world to never put off those little "maintenance" tasks. Kind of like when to reef. I could have gone up the river two days ago when I first thought about it but nooooooooo.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:19   #8

Blue Crab,

I sympathize. if you're inclined to be prudent, it helps to go early and get in a good spot.

Ann
Old 02-07-2014, 03:45   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Well I'm putting my planned weekend trip on hold till it is known for sure what the weather is doing (it passes). With the cold front coming down to interact with Arthur it is foolish and not to as no one knows what is going to happen. It is crazy to get caught between various Cape Cod islands during this when you know it is coming.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:32   #10

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

I would stay home! If your home berth is behind the New Bedford hurricane barrier, what a nice place to be. I have to be in NJ this weekend for a wedding and have doubled up/added extra lines to the boat here in Narragansett Bay. Also talked to the guy in the neighboring slip and he will be watching over things. I would not want to be on a mooring in Cuttyhunk, wondering if I should bail for land and if the town moorings will hold. Remember the Bounty. You just do not head into known bad weather. They are already predicting seven foot waves at the Narragansett Bay entrances.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:59   #11

I agree with staying put, hurricane predictions are pretty good, but if Arthur tracks just a little more west its extremely close with a storm in the 90mph category.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 16:19   #12

Boat: O'Day 28

Well, it was ugly here. At least a dozen boats on the beach. Cat 2 is what I heard. No casualties reported.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 18:12   #13

Boat: Tartan 34C

We ended up staying put...we had intended to instead go to the vineyard for an overnight and then head back Thursday but as we got close to West Island, we turned around and headed back to our mooring and just slept on the boat for the night...

it's too bad but better safe than sorry...we were bummed but oh well...better to be a next time than not...

thanks to all!
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 17:04   #14

Good call, Southcoast. There will be other holidays.

Ann
Old 06-07-2014, 17:47   #15

Boat: Able 50

Mainland RI got out of it easy. 2 - 3 inches of rain and wind around 20 knots. The Vineyard copped 5 1/2 inches of rain through Friday and I'm not sure how much wind. The storm was downgraded to Cat 1 as it passed New Jersey on Friday morning.

Sometimes cold water is good.

You probably don't want to hear this but the weather on Saturday and Sunday was absolutely perfect with sea breeze, low humidity and lotsa sun.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, vacation