Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2022, 21:43   #136

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Re: US coasts sea level rise 10 to 12 inches by 2050

has anyone ever done a study of the economic benefits that will flow from deepening every port in the world by say half a meter (18 inches) ? deeper draft ships mean cheaper freight for all

sure there is a down side (if you live on a low island) but there is a seriously big benefit as well

cheers,
Old 16-02-2022, 23:40   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Natural cycles would have us cooling, not warming.
__________________________________________________ __

Hi Jackdale, It all depends on who you want to believe. Natural cycles are unpredictable.

From Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybe...h=46c971ae73ad
Old 17-02-2022, 05:19   #138
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

let's look at this from another angle....

remember Archimedes....the dude that sat in his bathtub and noticed the water rising as he sat down.... ??
So, lets take one supertanker....say 100,000 tons plus displacement..this equates to about 3,2 mil cf of water displaced...
How many ships, cruise liners, etc are on this planet...a lot I'm sure...

2,000 years ago, Archimedes showed that these ships would push aside about two billion tonnes of water. When you spread this over the surface area of all the oceans on Earth (about 360 million square kilometres) you end up with the sea level rising just six millionths of a metre.

Archimedes summation of world shipping is likely out of date.

He doesn't account for the millions of sailboats in Ft.Lauderdale, etc, and the worlds oceans aren't uniform, so it's quite conceivable, that shipping alone is responsible for incremental rise in ocean elevations...

'jes sayin'......
Old 17-02-2022, 06:28   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taichungman View Post
__________________________________________________ __

Hi Jackdale, It all depends on who you want to believe. Natural cycles are unpredictable.
I believe nothing. I rely on scientific evidence.

Solar cycles and Milankovitch cycles are somewhat predictable.

https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/14/is-t...lobal-warming/

https://climate.nasa.gov/ask-nasa-cl...rrent-warming/

https://www.iflscience.com/environme...sed-by-humans/
Old 17-02-2022, 07:04   #140

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
The last time they produced a predication report in 2017, it turned out to be grossly exaggerated. Each and every prediction, including this one, is based on a set of assumptions. None of which are verifiable in advance. But that won’t stop the paranoia.
AMEN!
Old 17-02-2022, 07:23   #141
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
In 1995 in Florida we had 5 major hurricanes... then for next 9 years we had zero hurricanes-- did global warming just stop during those years??

that's exactly my point...nobody can tell (or predict) from one year to the next, how many hurricane's will strike Florida....or anywhere else for that matter..
Yet every year the govt puts out predictions.................
Old 17-02-2022, 07:23   #142
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Ah, but how would one get to the marinas if the roads and lands they are connected to are flooded.
Have you heard of dinghys? lol
Old 17-02-2022, 07:24   #143
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Two thoughts.

1). 50 years ago, my dad told me there were three types of news:
* Oh, the glory of it,

* Oh, the horror of it, and

* Oh.

In other words, all news, good or bad, will always be exaggerated. Unless you want to study all of the research, put your filters on and assume the truth lies somewhere in the middle. But do some of the research, because some of the extreme claims will be just plain fabrication, either crazy doom or flat earth society denial.

2). Why do we need black and white answers, in politics, science, Covid, and religion? The word is mostly gray and we should assume our knowledge of it is changing. As for those that do not believe the world is warmer, and would like a sailing perspective, consider the Northwest passage. Kinna obvious.

----

BTW, sea level rise has never been even, because the land also moves. For example, large areas of the Chesapeake Bay are still subsiding in the aftermath of an asteroid strike long, long ago (near the town of Cape Charles). It's bloody obvious. But there are areas where land is rising. Again, you will not see one answer.

We are going to see changes. People will adapt, people will migrate, and all of this will cost money. I'm not going to be around to see it, but my daughter will be. We started to turn the bus in the 70s, when gross river and air pollution were devastating many areas. The Potomac river was just plain gross and others were worse. Since then there has been a lot of very visible improvement. The air doesn't stink the way it did. My daughter has no idea what we lived with. Now we have some more work to do, and it won't be perfect. We can't afford perfect, and based on past experience, we can't afford to do nothing. What I am quite sure of is that if changes had not started in the 70s, I would not be interested in boating around here and I sure wouldn't eat fish.
Old 17-02-2022, 07:31   #144
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Relativesea level change is how the height of the ocean rises or falls, relative to the land at a
particular location.

In contrast,absolute sea level change refers to the height of the ocean surface above the center of the earth, without regard to whether nearby land is rising, or falling.

Old 17-02-2022, 07:34   #145
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Almost 100% of so-called sea level rise is caused by the shifting of the Earth's tectonic plates. This is a natural phenomenon over which humans have no control. Kansas was once at the bottom of an ocean. So was Mt. Everest.

Every molecule of water that was on the planet is still her today in three forms solid liquid and gas, except for a small quantity the has been broken down into hydrogen and oxygen experimentally.

I ask people if all the ice in the arctic melted how much would the sea levels rise? I get answers from 2 to 20 feet. The answer of course is zero. All arctic ice is floating and therefore is already displacing an amount of water equal to its weight.

While it's true that arctic ice has been melting at a relatively fast rate in recent years the snowpack has increased dramatically on the Antarctic Contenant. Its Ross Ice Shelf is the size France, but it too is afloat, as are the dozen or so other ice shelfs in Antarctica.

Man-made global warming has been soundly debunked. "Climate Change" has been substituted as the woke crisis of the day. The woke folks have had to admit that this is a natural occurrence which has gone on since the planet was formed.

So let me get this straight. If climate change is a natural occurrence why are humans suggesting that man-made efforts will have any effect on the inevitable? Good luck. It's not nice to fool Mother Nature.
There are 997 Climate Scientists who Al Gore quotes . Just what is a Climate Scientist? Are they a bunch of opportunists living off the taxpayers like most of their like. 50 years ago their were zero Climate Scientists.lol
Old 17-02-2022, 07:36   #146
cruiser

Quote:
Ah, but how would one get to the marinas if the roads and lands they are connected to are flooded.
Miami Beach has been in the process of raising roads 2ft for some time.
Old 17-02-2022, 08:15   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
50 years ago their were zero Climate Scientists.lol
Climate science publications from 50 years ago.

The Carbon Dioxide Theory of Climatic Change
GILBERT N. PLASS
First published: May 1956 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2153-3490.1956.tb01206.x

Climatic Change: Are We on the Brink of a Pronounced Global Warming?
WALLACE S. BROECKER
SCIENCE • 8 Aug 1975 • Vol 189, Issue 4201 • pp. 460-463 • DOI: 10.1126/science.189.4201.460

A report to LBJ in 1965

https://www-legacy.dge.carnegiescien...nvironment.pdf
Old 17-02-2022, 08:20   #148

Boat: Columbia 9.6 meter

Quote:
An interagency report, led by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, shows how scientists are increasingly confident that US coasts will see another 10 to 12 inches of sea level rise by 2050.

2022 Sea Level Rise Technical Report
Updated projections available through 2150 for all U.S. coastal waters.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/hazard...ch-report.html

The implications of that forecast are enormous.

Sea level will rise as much in the next 30 years as it did in the past 100 -- increasing the frequency of high-tide flooding, pushing storm surge to the extreme and inundating vulnerable coastal infrastructure with saltwater.

. . .

if global warming can be held to around 2 degrees above pre-industrial levels, NOAA estimates sea level rise in the US could be limited to 2 feet by the end of the century.
If temperatures are allowed to skyrocket, that forecast increases to 7 feet.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/15/us/us...ate/index.html
A particular about the US East Coast is that the land mass is "sinking" as the water level rises, which is a compounding effect.
The "sinking" is actually the result of a buckle in the Earth's crust straightening, as the weight of the polar ice cap is reduced by melting, first of the ice sheets of the Last Glacial Maximum, and also by the ongoing loss of polar ice and so forth. The buckle actually has the crust bowed "up" in the region of Eastern Seaboard, and as it normalizes to natural levels, it gives appearance of "sinking".
In doing some family searches, I found that the entire cemetery of my wife's Cook family on Maryland Eastern Shore had been relocated due to flooding. Along with losing the whole main farm, one other branch of the family had their shipyard subsumed and now this land at Cook Point in the mouth of the Choptank River is all underwater, along with a number of previously inhabited islands, which are also gone.
As we can quickly arrive at the conclusion that the only way out is to stop reproducing, turn off the lights and go without heat or transportation, it's easy to see why persons want to decry it could even happen.
Befuddled ~ 9.6
Old 17-02-2022, 08:25   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

BTW, sea level rise has never been even, because the land also moves. For example, large areas of the Chesapeake Bay are still subsiding in the aftermath of an asteroid strike long, long ago (near the town of Cape Charles). It's bloody obvious. But there are areas where land is rising. Again, you will not see one answer.

BTW - The graphic are forces at work in Chesapeake Bay.

https://www.vims.edu/research/produc...nova/index.php

I would love to a link to this assertion "large areas of the Chesapeake Bay are still subsiding in the aftermath of an asteroid strike". That was 35 million years ago.
https://www.livescience.com/chesapea...ct-crater.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-02-17 (2).png
Views:	45
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	253102  
Old 17-02-2022, 08:31   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninedotsix View Post
A particular about the US East Coast is that the land mass is "sinking" as the water level rises, which is a compounding effect.
Isostatic rebound results in land rising not subsiding.

Quote:
isostatic rebound
Isostatic rebound (also called continental rebound, post-glacial rebound or isostatic adjustment) is the rise of land masses that were depressed by the huge weight of ice sheets during the last ice age
https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/glossar...l,ice%20sheets
Closed Thread