Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2022, 18:50   #256

Re: US coasts sea level rise 10 to 12 inches by 2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
. . .
I live at the coast, will 10-12" make a difference...??.... I doubt it........firstly, it wont' happen all in one day, it will be some small incremental rise as to make little difference and noticed by no-one..10" over 50 years is so insignificantly small....were it even true...that I can say with absolute confidence, that 99.9999% of the people living on the coast will give it scant attention.

Climate change...in my view....is much the same......be it a political agenda....financial or what ever.....there is purpose behind the alarmist drama.
To visualize the effects of various rises in sea level just go to this mapping tool and select the amount of rise on the scale to the left of the map, then zoom into the part of the coastline that you have interest in.

Rather foreboding if one lives near the coast. And when it is lapping at one's door and has obliterated a beach, a wet land and caused infiltration of salt water far inland in the aquifers, everyone will see the impact.

Go ahead kid yourself.

https://coast.noaa.gov/slr/#/layer/s...h/midAccretion
Old 19-02-2022, 19:01   #257
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I checked this map.

I hope I'm reading this right.....along the entire east coast of Florida, with the exception of the Florida Keys, I see no flooding anywhere.

Am I wrong....??? Did I miss something ??

The rest if the US east coast shows only spotty areas of flooding.

Let me know where I'm kidding myself.
Old 19-02-2022, 19:34   #258

Quote:
I checked this map.

I hope I'm reading this right.....along the entire east coast of Florida, with the exception of the Florida Keys, I see no flooding anywhere.

Am I wrong....??? Did I miss something ??

The rest if the US east coast shows only spotty areas of flooding.

Let me know where I'm kidding myself.
I'll try to be of assistance.

Attached pictures below are of the New Orleans area at present sea levels and then depicted with just a one foot sea level rise. It gets really ugly when one raises it to two or more feet.

Please feel free to request other regions, I can copy images for many locations using NOAA's mapping tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sealevel new orleans present day.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	464.6 KB
ID:	253243   Click image for larger version

Name:	sealevel rise 1 new orleans.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	462.6 KB
ID:	253244  

Old 19-02-2022, 19:43   #259
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Well, not to interested in NO....that place is built underwater...they need levies just to stay in business...

Interested in the east coast of Florida...I don't see where 10-12" makes much of difference besides the Florida Keys...
Old 19-02-2022, 20:48   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Too late, it already devolved into a stinking mess once the same old CAGW alarmists started flooding the thread.
Read your own posts, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
When you've got no rebuttal, attack the messenger
Old 20-02-2022, 06:23   #261
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Onset of modern sea level rise began in 1863

An international team of scientists has found [1] that modern rates of sea level rise began emerging in 1863, as the Industrial Age intensified, coinciding with evidence for early ocean warming and glacier melt.

The study [1], which used a global database of sea-level records, spanning the last 2,000 years, will help local and regional planners prepare for future sea-level rise. The study appears in the journal Nature Communications.

By identifying the time when modern rates of sea-level rise emerged above natural variability, the researchers were able to pinpoint the onset of a significant period of climate change.

The researchers found that globally, the onset of modern rates of sea-level rise occurred in 1863, in line with the Industrial Revolution.
At individual sites in the United States, modern rates emerged earliest in the mid-Atlantic region in the mid to late 19th century, and later in Canada and Europe, emerging by the mid-20th century.

This study [1] is especially timely given NOAA's recently-released report detailing the rapid acceleration of sea-level rise on U.S. coasts [that started this thread].

More about ➥ https://phys.org/news/2021-03-sea-le...est-years.html

[1] “Common Era sea-level budgets along the U.S. Atlantic coast”~ by Jennifer S. Walker et al
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-22079-2

Another study [2], published in Nature Climate Change, is the first to analyse global sea-level rise, combined with measurements of sinking land [subsidence].

The impact of subsidence, combined with sea-level rise, has until now been considered a local issue rather than a global one.
But the new study [2] shows that coastal inhabitants are living with an average sea level rise of 7.8 mm—9.9 mm per year, over the past twenty years, compared with a global average rise of 2.6mm a year.
About 58 percent of the world's coastal population lives on deltas, where land is subsiding. Less than 1 percent of global coastal population lives where land is uplifting.

The research team assessed four components of relative sea-level change: climate induced sea-level change, the effects of glacier weight removal causing land uplift or sinking, estimates of river delta subsidence and subsidence in cities.

They found that high rates of relative sea-level rise are most urgent in South, South East and East Asia, as the area has many subsiding deltas and coastal flood plains, growing coastal megacities, and more than 70 percent of the world's coastal population.

They also found that over the 20th Century, the city of Tokyo experienced net subsidence of 4m, while Shanghai, Bangkok, New Orleans, and Jakarta, have experienced between 2m and 3m subsidence.

In Tokyo, Shanghai and Bangkok the subsidence has been stopped, or greatly reduced, by reduced groundwater extraction, while in other cities there has been little direct response to reduce subsidence.

[2]
“A global analysis of subsidence, relative sea-level change and coastal flood exposure” ~ by Robert J. Nicholls
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-021-00993-z

Old 20-02-2022, 06:39   #262
cruiser

How were their models verified by the peer review-ers?
Old 20-02-2022, 06:50   #263
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
How were their models verified by the peer review-ers?
NATURE communications Peer Review https://www.nature.com/ncomms/editor...es/peer-review

Old 20-02-2022, 12:52   #264

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson38 View Post
In depth discussion about satellite sea level data versus tide gage-

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/02/...ea-level-data/
Sorry.. I know this a post from the early days of this thread. Here is a guy who admits he knows very little about the topic at hand, concluding that satellite altimetry data is bogus. "Now I freely admit, I’m just a guy with no scientific training at all. I took Physics 101, Chemistry 101, and one year of Calculus in college, and that’s it. " There are lots of published articles he could have read to learn how it works and why it is accurate, but of course then he wouldn't have anything to post on wattupswiththat. So instead he posts garbage and folks on cruiser forum repeat the garbage. There is a lot of data on the accuracy of satellite data if he bothered to look. The stated goal is to get to an accuracy of .3mm/year accuracy.
https://link.springer.com/article/10...712-016-9389-8
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41597-020-00694-w
Want to see location by location data on sea level rise and the comparison at that location between satellite and tidal gauges?
https://sealevel.nasa.gov/sea-level-evaluation-tool
The idea that somebody just happened to stumble on why 30 years of data, 1000s of scientists and multiple satellite missions are wrong is pretty nuts.
Old 20-02-2022, 13:10   #265

Boat: Norseman 447

“Onset of modern sea level rise began in 1863
An international team of scientists has found [1] that modern rates of sea level rise began emerging in 1863, as the Industrial Age intensified, coinciding with evidence for early ocean warming and glacier melt.”

What a lovely coincidence. Just as the modern Industrial Age begins, suddenly there’s a big increase in sea level rise. What about the sea level rise of some 360 feet that’s been going on for 10000 years? The doomsayers can find a disaster in every story.
Old 20-02-2022, 14:08   #266

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

Keep Note of Theses forecast er and IF they are wrong they should have to pay a price!

Jewt
Old 20-02-2022, 14:39   #267

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewt View Post
Keep Note of Theses forecast er and IF they are wrong they should have to pay a price!

Jewt
And IF they are right, everyone alive then will pay a price.
Old 20-02-2022, 15:17   #268
cruiser

Quote:
There are a lot of "guru's" that try to predict the stock market.... haha haha...so funny...it's mostly TV fodder...there is not a single person on earth that can predict the stock market, yet every financial TV show has hundreds of "experts" from every corner of the world, with a gazillion graphs, theories and formula's, all of whom claim to be "in the know" about what the market or particular stock is going to do based in any number of theories...haha ha.....exscuse me while I fetch another beer..TV shows need fodder to produce their shows...and more importantly to suck in advertising dollars

I see climate "predictions" in much the same vein. Seems like many people have an agenda of sorts at play. For people that "play" the stock market, the above is fodder. For people interested in "global warming"...it's much the same.....they will follow every story, true or not, for what purpose....even if true....for what purpose?

If a meteor were to strike planet earth....for sure...with one caveat...nobody knows exactly where or when......most people are thinking...what's the odds of it hitting my head....??? Probably marginal at best......10-12" of "maybe" ocean level rise is in the same bracket of " maybe's.....

I live at the coast, will 10-12" make a difference...??.... I doubt it........firstly, it wont' happen all in one day, it will be some small incremental rise as to make little difference and noticed by no-one..10" over 50 years is so insignificantly small....were it even true...that I can say with absolute confidence, that 99.9999% of the people living on the coast will give it scant attention.

People that live in the USA have access to the "weather channel"...seriously, if you were to be the producer of this channel, you have to wondering how the hell am I going to find stuff to produce 24/7...day in...day out...this why hurricanes are such a big thing...it gives the weather channels an opportunity to justify their reason for being....they will have reporters on every street corner, hanging on to lamp posts for good affect...trying to make 50 mph sound like the end of the world is nigh.
They are not selling the weather....they are selling advertising...the weather is just a small inconsequential reason to give them a platform to sell advertising.

Climate change...in my view....is much the same......be it a political agenda....financial or what ever.....there is purpose behind the alarmist drama.
I appreciate your thoughts and ideas.
Old 20-02-2022, 15:34   #269
cruiser

Quote:
Some many years back, one of my college professors was going on about the fact that planets "know" about other planets. He went on to explain, but most of it went over my head. In recent years, I've heard about this again, but as before, know little about it. In essence, I believe it's about "the law of attraction" and "gravity"...this unknown force that keeps us all glued to this planet despite known laws to the contrary...and the ability...for instance of the sun and moon to affect levels of the ocean by "attraction" to give us daily tides......in other words.....the sun and moon "know" that planet earth is there....kinda weird...if you think about it, that the shiny blob in the sky at night has the ability to suck water up...."attraction", what exactly is this "attraction" force?? Men on the moon experience almost no gravity, yet the moon can exert a force on planet earth's oceans to lift them several feet.

...but "gravity" keeps the ocean here on this planet. We all know about gravity, but can't explain it.

But it's really no more weird for one person to be "attracted" to another, often for no particular reason to any nearby bystander.

But I digress.

Digging more into this morass, are space agencies ability to " slingshot" satellites out into space, using "unseen" forces, too complicated to even begin explaining here, but they appear to have a pretty good handle on it.

Planet earth dances a pretty well known and documented path, hats of to all those that have figured all this out. We have summers and winters, various times when the sun and moon are closer, ad infinitum. Same folks have figured out to the smallest decimal point, where the earth will be at all times.

But, nobody has really figured out the weather. Many theories exist, the el nino affect, as an example.

Sea level rise predictions remains a " theory" rather than a known predicament, this is why there is always a range....10-20" for instance....if they really know, they'd say...10.25" on July 25th....50 years out puts it past most of our lifetimes...so that is also a safe bet as we will not be around to dispute it, nor will the originator have to explain it.

And using past documented information does not necessarily mean it will continue that way.

At the end of the day, I will remain rather non-plussed by it all.
Gravity: that huge universe wide force that can be neither seen, smelled or touched. (or can it?) Is there anywhere in the universe that has no gravity?
Old 20-02-2022, 15:37   #270
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
Sorry.. I know this a post from the early days of this thread. Here is a guy who admits he knows very little about the topic at hand, concluding that satellite altimetry data is bogus. "Now I freely admit, I’m just a guy with no scientific training at all. I took Physics 101, Chemistry 101, and one year of Calculus in college, and that’s it. " There are lots of published articles he could have read to learn how it works and why it is accurate, but of course then he wouldn't have anything to post on wattupswiththat. So instead he posts garbage and folks on cruiser forum repeat the garbage. There is a lot of data on the accuracy of satellite data if he bothered to look. The stated goal is to get to an accuracy of .3mm/year accuracy.
https://link.springer.com/article/10...712-016-9389-8
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41597-020-00694-w
Want to see location by location data on sea level rise and the comparison at that location between satellite and tidal gauges?
https://sealevel.nasa.gov/sea-level-evaluation-tool
The idea that somebody just happened to stumble on why 30 years of data, 1000s of scientists and multiple satellite missions are wrong is pretty nuts.
Have you ever wondered why you are a "True Believer'? Do you believe in Bitcoin?
Closed Thread