Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2022, 16:22   #436

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: US coasts sea level rise 10 to 12 inches by 2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I figured out where all that water is coming from. Not only is the sea level dropping in Alaska, its accelerating!
Also the level is lowering in greenland as the weight of the retreating glaciers is lifted as well as reduced gravitational pull which is the predominate factor lowering sea level there:

https://www.harvardmagazine.com/2010...f-glacial-melt
https://sky-lights.org/2018/12/10/th...ting-glaciers/
Old 24-02-2022, 16:55   #437

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Is West Vancouver really bracing? Is this where you live ? Were is this in relation to Vancouver?

From this link by NOAA - this for Vancouver Canada-
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl...tml?id=822-071

"The relative sea level trend is 0.53 millimeters/year with a 95% confidence
interval of +/- 0.21 mm/yr based on monthly mean sea level data from
1909 to 2018 which is equivalent to a change of 0.17 feet in 100 years."
Old 24-02-2022, 17:11   #438

[QUOTE=newhaul;3581226]This prediction like all those that came before have all failed to materialize .
The models are eronious gogo. ( garbage in garbage out)[/QUOTE]

erroneous

ADJECTIVE
wrong; incorrect.
Old 24-02-2022, 17:35   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
Also the level is lowering in greenland as the weight of the retreating glaciers is lifted as well as reduced gravitational pull which is the predominate factor lowering sea level there:

https://www.harvardmagazine.com/2010...f-glacial-melt
https://sky-lights.org/2018/12/10/th...ting-glaciers/
Where do you think the melt water from retreating glaciers to going?
Old 24-02-2022, 18:08   #440

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
A small fraction went into the three gorges dam in china. Raising 39 trillion kilograms of water 175 meters above sea level which changed the location of the pole by 2 cm, and slows the rotation speed of the earth decreasing the time in a day by 2.68 microseconds.

Does anyone know how the length of a day or the location of the pole has changed from melting glaciers? How much will it change if greenland melts completely? Some rough estimates claim 2 milliseconds. Others claim 0.43 seconds.
Old 24-02-2022, 18:11   #441
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Back on the glacier where do you think the hundreds of billion tons of new ice each year come from ? Greenland has been gaining for near a decade now do the math .
Old 24-02-2022, 18:13   #442
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Montanan;3581998]
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
This prediction like all those that came before have all failed to materialize .
The models are eronious gogo. ( garbage in garbage out)[/QUOTE]

erroneous

ADJECTIVE
wrong; incorrect.
Fat fingers and new phone
Old 24-02-2022, 18:35   #443

Quote:
A small fraction went into the three gorges dam in china. Raising 39 trillion kilograms of water 175 meters above sea level which changed the location of the pole by 2 cm, and slows the rotation speed of the earth decreasing the time in a day by 2.68 microseconds.

Does anyone know how the length of a day or the location of the pole has changed from melting glaciers? How much will it change if greenland melts completely? Some rough estimates claim 2 milliseconds. Others claim 0.43 seconds.
Greenland to Three Gorges. Amazing. Just wow.
Old 24-02-2022, 18:55   #444
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Greenland to Three Gorges. Amazing. Just wow.
You really need to relearn the water cycle
Old 24-02-2022, 18:56   #445
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

The location I dont recall but the main time I recall being banded about was 3.45ms
Old 24-02-2022, 19:36   #446
AJA

Boat: Irwin 37' CCKetch (1974)

I’m so sick of this “sky is falling” BS. 30 years ago we were predicted to be destroyed, drowned, devastated & done by 2010. The goal post keep moving, the fear keeps growing, and the BS gets piled higher and deeper.
After this last fiasco of Covid - being the 2nd coming of the Black Death - I’m done. My entire family got Covid after have been backed twice. My brother and his family got it after having no vac at all. For all of us it was just a prolonged version f the seasonal flu.
I do t trust anything the government tells me anymore. I don’t trust anything the press tells me anymore. I just listen to what my own common sense tells me from my own observations.
BTW. If someone like Obama really believed in Global warming and rising sea levels ( and had access to all the best and latest intelligence) would he build houses on the beach front coast of Martha’s Vinyard ? And no so hear of a beach front house in California as well ?
I’m done with all the fear mongering.
Old 24-02-2022, 20:17   #447

^ Hmmm ... sounds eerily familiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick
I think the most important part of that clip is what Judy Roberts' husband says near the end: that people could be "dropping like flies" around him, but he won't take another vaccine that the government tells him to take.

[...]

It's the same problem as the whole climate change "debate", really. "Alarmists" have been telling us that complete disaster is 5 years away for decades. I'd bet that every 5 years or so the number of people who believe this declines. Eventually we will reach the point of no return. But I wouldn't be surprised if no one believes it.
Old 25-02-2022, 01:32   #448
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Back on the glacier where do you think the hundreds of billion tons of new ice each year come from ? Greenland has been gaining for near a decade now do the math .
Greenland is losing ice extensively along its margins, where fast flowing ice streams are pushing more ice into the ocean, than is gained in the center of the ice sheet.

According to Cap Allon, at one of newhaul’s favourite CONSPIRACY- PSEUDOSCIENCE [fake] news and [wacko] opinion website, “Electroverse”:
“Data from the Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI) shows that Greenland ice melt slowed significantly during the past decade, and that the trend has now swung to one of growth.”
In fact: It does not.

But, satellite observations confirm Greenland continues to lose ice. There has been no reversal in the trend, according to experts.

The institute's Greenland ice sheet mass change data [2] shows substantial losses around the margins of the ice sheet, since 2002. It also shows small increases in mass, at high elevation areas, near the center of the ice sheet, due to increased precipitation in those areas.

However, even with these gains, the Greenland ice sheet has lost [5?] trillions of metric tons of ice.
The glacial growth is not keeping up with glacial loss.

Accounting for both surface melting and discharge of icebergs, the Greenland ice sheet lost around 166 billion tonnes of ice, over the 12-month period ending in August.
This means that 2021 is the 25th year in a row where Greenland has lost more ice than it gained.

[1] DMI ➥ Ocean and Ice | Danmarks Meteorologiske Institut

[2] Greenland Mass and Height Change ➥ Mass and Height Change: Polar Portal

GREENLAND MASS VARIATION SINCE 2002 ~ NASA
Data source: Ice mass measurement by NASA's GRACE satellites.
Rate of Change -275.0 billion metric tons per year
https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/ice-sheets/

While the ice sheet's decline has been well-documented, over the past two decades, this study [3], led by Michalea King, of the Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center, found that widespread glacier retreat helped push the ice sheet from a balanced, to an imbalanced state. This work suggests that even if the oceans and atmosphere were to stop warming today, the ice sheet will continue to lose more ice than it will gain.

[3] “Dynamic ice loss from the Greenland Ice Sheet driven by sustained glacier retreat” ~ by Michalea D. King et al [August 2020]
Quote:
“The Greenland Ice Sheet is losing mass at accelerated rates in the 21st century, making it the largest single contributor to rising sea levels...”
3. https://www.nature.com/articles/s43247-020-0001-2

Old 25-02-2022, 03:44   #449
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“Managed Retreat”

The City of Grand Forks, British Columbia, has spent $16.5 million in a flood mitigation program, buying approximately 90 properties [1] most at risk of damage, as extreme weather events become more common. A combination of river water and sewage swamped the suburb of Ruckle, in Grand Forks, B.C. in 2018. Now, the city is demolishing dozens of homes, in the area, to mitigate future impacts from extreme weather events.
The program is an example of managed retreat, which refers to the co-ordinated movement of people, and sometimes infrastructure, away from natural hazards, often brought about by extreme weather events.
Grand Forks plans to demolish most homes in the neighbourhood, by the end of April 2022, allowing much of the area to return to natural floodplain and wetland. The city says it will also build a dyke, to protect homes in the surrounding area.

In Canada, different levels of government have spent hundreds of millions of dollars, on managed retreat buyout programs; including Calgary [2], and High River, Alberta, where residents were devastated by flooding, in 2013.

But the decision to abandon, rather than protect, homes can be controversial, as the City of Surrey learned, when it proposed looking into moving or abandoning 400 homes, in the Crescent Beach community, in order to avoid the effects of sea level rise, over the next century [3]. Public backlash, and vocal opposition, soon had the city back away from managed retreat.
Crescent Beach, along with 20 per cent of Surrey's land area, lies on a coastal floodplain, and is just a few metres above sea level, which is expected to rise one metre by 2100, and two metres by 2200.

[1] “City offering to buy out 80 Grand Forks homeowners 2 years after floods”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ears-1.5560471

[2] “Calgary still at risk 5 years after the big flood”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...sary-1.4704592

[3]
“Buying out 400 Crescent Beach homes an option for Surrey as sea levels rise”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ange-1.4675432

Old 25-02-2022, 06:24   #450

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

I will start to worry about sea level rise when Barack Obama and Al Gore sell their ocean front mansions......until then, not so much.
Closed Thread