Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2022, 19:15   #691
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: US coasts sea level rise 10 to 12 inches by 2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Classic denialism - cherry picking and distorting. Will you ever stop? You have lost the argument - it is over.
Really cherry picking
The request was for some examples and one from physics.org is not exactly cherry picking.
Old 28-02-2022, 19:20   #692

Quote:
Classic denialism - cherry picking and distorting. Will you ever stop? You have lost the argument - it is over.
Newhaul lost a bet with me a some time ago. He is not living up to the conditions. He is the classic Black Knight from Monty Python.
Old 28-02-2022, 19:22   #693
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Newhaul lost a bet with me a some time ago. He is not living up to the conditions. He is the classic Black Knight from Monty Python.
Incorrect you should confirm with SailOar. I did meet the precepts and conditions. I came back posting at your request .

Are you having another senior moment?
Old 28-02-2022, 19:29   #694
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Now back to the thread where is all the sea level rise they told us was supposed to already be here ?

Wait I am starting to see the sea level rise outside my boat .
Looks like it will be 4.49 meters
Old 28-02-2022, 19:30   #695
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Now back to the thread where is all the sea level rise they told us was supposed to already be here ?

Wait nope that's just normal tidal flow
Old 28-02-2022, 19:45   #696

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Here's Germany's power mix for the last 7 days. They have 120 GW of instantaneous power (nameplate) between wind (on and off shore) and solar power. The Nation needs 90 GW to run schools, homes, industry, transportation.

There are times when the wind does not blow and the sun does not shine, and they have to fall back to conventional power plants. Note that when they do, the nation's consumption dips more than 30% as the E rates go higher to chase an expensive resource.

https://www.agora-energiewende.de/en...03.2022/today/
Old 28-02-2022, 19:45   #697

Quote:

Quote:
The quadratic trend, shown in darker orange, indicates that sea level is not only rising at this tidal station, but that the rate of sea-level rise is accelerating with time. In other words, the rate of sea-level rise is best represented by a quadratic curve rather than a straight line. Comparing the quadratic and linear projections shows an exponential rise in sea level will result in a significantly higher sea level in future years
https://www.vims.edu/research/produc...sewa/index.php
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-02-28 (3).png
Views:	34
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	253773  
Old 28-02-2022, 19:49   #698
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
And yet the islands are growing in real-estate.
Old 28-02-2022, 19:56   #699

Quote:
And yet the islands are growing in real-estate.
And your point?
Old 28-02-2022, 20:11   #700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
Ignorance and falsehoods defined as not agreeing with you. A somewhat self-centered view of the world.
Hold that thought...
Quote:
Now that I’m retired, I’m not going to waste my time. It’s somebody else’s turn to screw things up. But that doesn’t imply that I have to sit quietly while you do or join your children's parade.
... sorry, you were saying something about ME being self-centered?

Falsehoods are things that are not true. Ignorance is... something you're apparently proud of showing off at every opportunity in these threads.
Old 28-02-2022, 20:12   #701

Quote:
What's with this word, "denialism"? It seems that the climate cultists think that they some how discredit their critics labeling them with this word. When something is proven to be wrong, of course it is scientifically and morally correct to oppose or "deny" it. Those who are "yes men" just to avoid controversy are helping to propagate a fraud. There is honer in "denial" when one is correct. Would it be wrong for somebody to deny that the earth is flat? Would it be wrong for someone to deny that free fall on earth is 9.8 meters per second per second?

The climate cultists seldom offer anything new. They think that they are justified by repeating their mantra of the same old trite expressions and ridiculing those who hold to truth. Science is not established by scorn. Science is about provable facts. Facts established through historic evidence indicate that climate has varied in the pre industrial past. This was independent of mass use of hydrocarbon fuels. Such observations leave the climate cultists without case for their hypothesis.

In the medieval warming period, vineyards were common in the north of England and European mountain glaciers retreated. The Vikings were able to settle on Ice Land and Greenland. Later, in the little ice age, ice formed on the Thames River sufficient for skating and outdoor markets on the river. European mountain glaciers grew.
Old 28-02-2022, 20:32   #702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post

In the medieval warming period, vineyards were common in the north of England and European mountain glaciers retreated. The Vikings were able to settle on Ice Land and Greenland. Later, in the little ice age, ice formed on the Thames River sufficient for skating and outdoor markets on the river. European mountain glaciers grew.
Neither the MWP nor the LIA were global.

Neukom, R., Steiger, N., Gómez-Navarro, J.J. et al. No evidence for globally coherent warm and cold periods over the preindustrial Common Era. Nature 571, 550–554 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-019-1401-2
Old 28-02-2022, 20:37   #703

Quote:

Science is not established by scorn. Science is about provable facts. Facts established through historic evidence indicate that climate has varied in the pre industrial past. This was independent of mass use of hydrocarbon fuels. Such observations leave the climate cultists without case for their hypothesis.

Please explain the this discontinuity in the middle of the 18th century

Kaufman, D., McKay, N., Routson, C. et al. Holocene global mean surface temperature, a multi-method reconstruction approach. Sci Data 7, 201 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41597-020-0530-7
Old 28-02-2022, 20:38   #704

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson38 View Post
Here's Germany's power mix for the last 7 days. They have 120 GW of instantaneous power (nameplate) between wind (on and off shore) and solar power. The Nation needs 90 GW to run schools, homes, industry, transportation.

There are times when the wind does not blow and the sun does not shine, and they have to fall back to conventional power plants. Note that when they do, the nation's consumption dips more than 30% as the E rates go higher to chase an expensive resource.
So the consumption drops dramatically as does my own when solar energy is not available. This is the correct behavior, though the contrasts will need to be more pronounced. Rather than a 30% dip, it could be a 90% dip, maintaining essential services such as hospitals from battery reserves, pumped hydro, imported power from elsewhere that sun/wind is available. Assembly lines may be halted for lack of energy, instead the workers can perform tasks that do not rely on electrical energy.

If we produced products that didn't break or fail in a few years, there would not be a need to produce so many of them anyway which would basically solve the problem. It did in the past, as I often have hand tools 100 years old where a new tool I buy at the store today breaks the first time I use it.

This is a strength to be able to adapt and have multiple skills, more knowledge and so forth. Buildings can be heated/cooled passively and maintain temperature through the year without energy input. This has been proven with geodesic domes, earth ships, and may other examples.

It is simply not true that the electrical power grid needs 100% uptime. Industry must adapt and modify their schedules to the weather. As sailors we all understand how transportation availability varies depending on the current conditions, but in the end we get done what we need to and move from place to place. Insisting on a "right now" approach to consumption is an issue, and not a legitimate argument for conventional power or any other type of behavior, it is simply selfish. It is unacceptable that some here insist on diesel power in their boats as this is just an example of selfish and spoiled behavior.
Old 28-02-2022, 20:40   #705

Quote:
Science is about provable facts. Facts established through historic evidence indicate that climate has varied in the pre industrial past. This was independent of mass use of hydrocarbon fuels.
You may wish to check with geologists about your assertions.

Geological Society of London Scientific Statement: what the geological record tells us about our present and future climate
Caroline H. Lear, Pallavi Anand, Tom Blenkinsop, Gavin L. Foster, Mary Gagen, Babette Hoogakker, Robert D. Larter, Daniel J. Lunt, I. Nicholas McCave, Erin McClymont, Richard D. Pancost, Rosalind E.M. Rickaby, David M. Schultz, Colin Summerhayes, Charles J.R. Williams and Jan Zalasiewicz
Journal of the Geological Society, 178, jgs2020-239, 28 December 2020, https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2020-239

Quote:
The geological record provides powerful evidence that atmospheric CO2 concentrations drive climate change, and supports multiple lines of evidence that greenhouse gases emitted by human activities are altering the Earth's climate. Moreover, the amount of anthropogenic greenhouse gases already in the atmosphere means that Earth is committed to a certain degree of warming. As the Earth's climate changes due to the burning of fossil fuels and changes in land-use, the planet we live on will experience further changes that will have increasingly drastic effects on human societies. An assessment of past climate changes helps to inform policy decisions regarding future climate change. Earth scientists will also have an important role to play in the delivery of any policies aimed at limiting future climate change.
Closed Thread