Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2022, 13:38   #811

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: US coasts sea level rise 10 to 12 inches by 2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The Medieval Warming Period was not global. It was described by Hubert Lamb using anecdotal data from Central England, which is neither temporally or spatially representative of the rest of the Earth.
Well...here is some evidence of the MCA from the continent of Africa. Note that Africa is in the southern hemisphere. Seems to indicate the MCA may have been temporally and spatially global.

Abstract
The Medieval Climate Anomaly (MCA) is a well-recognized climate perturbation in many parts of the world, with a core period of 1000–1200 Common Era. Here we present a palaeotemperature synthesis for the MCA in Africa and Arabia, based on 44 published localities. The data sets have been thoroughly correlated and the MCA trends palaeoclimatologically mapped. The vast majority of available Afro-Arabian onshore sites suggest a warm MCA, with the exception of the southern Levant where the MCA appears to have been cold. MCA cooling has also been documented in many segments of the circum-Africa-Arabian upwelling systems, as a result of changes in the wind systems which were leading to an intensification of cold water upwelling. Offshore cores from outside upwelling systems mostly show warm MCA conditions. The most likely key drivers of the observed medieval climate change are solar forcing and ocean cycles. Conspicuous cold spikes during the earliest and latest MCA may help to discriminate between solar (Oort Minimum) and ocean cycle (Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation, AMO) influence. Compared to its large share of nearly one quarter of the world’s landmass, data from Africa and Arabia are significantly underrepresented in global temperature reconstructions of the past 2,000 years. Onshore data are still absent for most regions in Africa and Arabia, except for regional data clusters in Morocco, South Africa, the East African Rift, and the Levant coast. In order to reconstruct land palaeotemperatures more robustly over Africa and Arabia, a systematic research program is needed.

Cook, T. (2018), Medieval temperature trends in Africa and Arabia, Eos, 99, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018EO092411. Published on 09 February 2018.
Old 01-03-2022, 13:40   #812

Boat: Norseman 447

Not imprecise in the slightest. If I gather up a bunch of inputs (the selection of which is largely based on what’s available) and conjure up correlations, when I get a "result" it’s little better than a guess. I can try to snow my audience by surrounding it with lots of scientific sounding gobbledygook, but that doesn’t make it more reliable.

I did forecasts and predictions for a living for a couple of decades for some big companies. When I made the presentations, I wrote them on a whiteboard, by hand. At one meeting, one of the outside directors asked me why I didn’t use a spreadsheet program and overhead foils like everyone else did. "Because when you run it through a computer, people tend, even unconsciously, to give the information more credence than it deserves. If I could predict the future, would I be working for you?" Curiously enough, I got a big raise based on his recommendation.
Old 01-03-2022, 13:45   #813

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Well...here is some evidence of the MCA from the continent of Africa. Note that Africa is in the southern hemisphere. Seems to indicate the MCA may have been temporally and spatially global.

Abstract
The Medieval Climate Anomaly (MCA) is a well-recognized climate perturbation in many parts of the world, with a core period of 1000–1200 Common Era. Here we present a palaeotemperature synthesis for the MCA in Africa and Arabia, based on 44 published localities. The data sets have been thoroughly correlated and the MCA trends palaeoclimatologically mapped. The vast majority of available Afro-Arabian onshore sites suggest a warm MCA, with the exception of the southern Levant where the MCA appears to have been cold. MCA cooling has also been documented in many segments of the circum-Africa-Arabian upwelling systems, as a result of changes in the wind systems which were leading to an intensification of cold water upwelling. Offshore cores from outside upwelling systems mostly show warm MCA conditions. The most likely key drivers of the observed medieval climate change are solar forcing and ocean cycles. Conspicuous cold spikes during the earliest and latest MCA may help to discriminate between solar (Oort Minimum) and ocean cycle (Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation, AMO) influence. Compared to its large share of nearly one quarter of the world’s landmass, data from Africa and Arabia are significantly underrepresented in global temperature reconstructions of the past 2,000 years. Onshore data are still absent for most regions in Africa and Arabia, except for regional data clusters in Morocco, South Africa, the East African Rift, and the Levant coast. In order to reconstruct land palaeotemperatures more robustly over Africa and Arabia, a systematic research program is needed.

Cook, T. (2018), Medieval temperature trends in Africa and Arabia, Eos, 99, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018EO092411. Published on 09 February 2018.
Did you miss the parts about MCA cooling?
Old 01-03-2022, 13:47   #814

Quote:

Abstract

Thanks LS. Glad to read this evidence of a broader midieval warming effect. The deniers who always dismiss it as anecdotal or limit it as local to the British Isles can certainly eat crow. It seems incredible that a warming trend in the British Isles would not be part of a much wider trend. It has never been known to be summer in the UK and winter everywhere else.
Old 01-03-2022, 13:50   #815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
Thanks LS. Glad to read this evidence of a broader midieval warming effect. The deniers who always dismiss it as anecdotal or limit it as local to the British Isles can certainly eat crow. It seems incredible that a warming trend in the British Isles would not be part of a much wider trend. It has never been known to be summer in the UK and winter everywhere else.
You are missed the part about MCA cooling in the abstract.

No part of the Earth is currently cooling, except possibly the South Polar Ocean

https://www.nsstc.uah.edu/data/msu/v...cdc_lt_6.0.txt
Old 01-03-2022, 13:55   #816

Quote:
Did you miss the parts about MCA cooling?
In the referenced article the author points out an exception to the 44 sites evaluated and gives a logical reason for the exception.

There is a substantive amount of published evidence that shows the MCA was globally more widespread than a cultist such as yourself would have anyone believe. I have posted one such example

You need to try to give some balance to your many advocacy posting.
Old 01-03-2022, 13:57   #817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
Not imprecise in the slightest. If I gather up a bunch of inputs (the selection of which is largely based on what’s available) and conjure up correlations, when I get a "result" it’s little better than a guess.
Worse than imprecise. An ill-fitting algorithm might be created as someone's guess, but the algorithm does only what it was programmed to do, it doesn't guess.

The more partisans misunderstand or misrepresent data processing, the fewer people will get it.
Old 01-03-2022, 13:59   #818

Quote:
You are missed the part about MCA cooling in the abstract.

No part of the Earth is currently cooling, except possibly the South Polar Ocean

https://www.nsstc.uah.edu/data/msu/v...cdc_lt_6.0.txt
Do you know that the discussion wrt MCA is not about the current timeframe?
Old 01-03-2022, 14:01   #819

Quote:
In the referenced article the author points out an exception to the 44 sites evaluated and gives a logical reason for the exception.

There is a substantive amount of published evidence that shows the MCA was globally more widespread than a cultist such as yourself would have anyone believe. I have posted one such example

You need to try to give some balance to your many advocacy posting.
Pages2K's nearly 700 data sets can find a either a global MWP or a global LIA.

https://pastglobalchanges.org/scienc...-network/intro

BTW - I tend to avoid name calling. Your doing so lessens your credibility.
Old 01-03-2022, 14:02   #820

Quote:
Do you know that the discussion wrt MCA is not about the current timeframe?
Yes, I do know that. I did not start the discussion about the MCA.
Old 01-03-2022, 14:24   #821

The algorithm is simply an expression of the guess.

https://apple.news/AVVVmG1CjTVGW_GJAsOxzcg

No wonder the climate change zealots want to ignore my comments about the voters.
Old 01-03-2022, 14:52   #822

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
An algorithm is nothing more than a guess.
There is just no end to the uninformed posts on this thread.

What I really wonder about - these posts are so lame and expose such ignorance - are they jokes or do people really harbor such totally uninformed rubbish?
Old 01-03-2022, 14:56   #823

LE — It’s nice to know that after starting in the computer business in 1963, and working quite successfully until I retired, that I don’t know anything about computers and algorithms. Or their limitations.
Old 01-03-2022, 14:59   #824

Quote:
LE — It’s nice to know that after starting in the computer business in 1963, and working quite successfully until I retired, that I don’t know anything about computers and algorithms. Or their limitations.
We can only go by what you posted.

Quote:
The algorithm is simply an expression of the guess.
That's better, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
What I really wonder about - these posts are so lame and expose such ignorance - are they jokes or do people really harbor such totally uninformed rubbish?
I think that some cruisers are just bored and lonely.
Old 01-03-2022, 15:00   #825

Boat: Allied Seawind II

But the algorithms very clearly indicate that after 2013 there will never be ice in the arctic - ever again. Very sad, but the science is settled. This is fact.
Closed Thread