Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2022, 18:01   #121

Re: US coasts sea level rise 10 to 12 inches by 2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshabby View Post
I hope it takes out the condos that took out our marinas!!
Ah, but how would one get to the marinas if the roads and lands they are connected to are flooded.
Old 16-02-2022, 18:05   #122

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
The world ocean is one interconnected global body of water. We have artificially compartmentalized it into "5 oceans" for our own human convenience. Thus the melting of ice caps will not significantly raise the sea level overall as land now covered by ice by ice caps (actually the tectonic plates underlying the continents' protions now covered by ice sheet) will rise accordingly to compensate for sea level rise.
Apparently, Earth's sea level has gone 8 meters higher than it is now, and 135 metres lower than it is now in the last 200,000 years:

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/earth107/node/1496

I'd call that significant.
Old 16-02-2022, 18:07   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
The world ocean is one interconnected global body of water. We have artificially compartmentalized it into "5 oceans" for our own human convenience. Thus the melting of ice caps will not significantly raise the sea level overall as land now covered by ice by ice caps (actually the tectonic plates underlying the continents' protions now covered by ice sheet) will rise accordingly to compensate for sea level rise.
Yes the land under the ice will rise slowly as the weight of the ice is removed by melting and the liquid water flows downhill towards the sea level. But the mass and volume of water that melts and flows into the sea will raise the sea levels.

The northern part of the Jutland of Denmark is rising more than the southern part because the southern part was depressed by less depth and weight of the ice flow during the last ice age.
Old 16-02-2022, 18:09   #124
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

so let me see here.....scribble....scribble....2 x.....divide by 98.9......scribble.....scribble.....compute.....x square root of....scribble...scribble...
yes, I think I got.....Florida is loosing a considerable amount of beaches each year.......scribble...compute....scribble...so that gives the ocean more room to grow.....scribble...scribble.....but beach erosion takes op ocean volume.........divide by .456....scribble....scribble...ports up and down the coast are being deepened and widened.....scribble...scribble...yet more volume that can be optimized by rising oceans.....scribble....scribble...hmmmmm....we are removing a lot of fish from the water....hmmm....creates more volume for rising oceans...I think I'm on to something here...let me finish my calculations.....
Old 16-02-2022, 18:36   #125
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
so let me see here.....scribble....scribble....2 x.....divide by 98.9......scribble.....scribble.....compute.....x square root of....scribble...scribble...
yes, I think I got.....Florida is loosing a considerable amount of beaches each year.......scribble...compute....scribble...so that gives the ocean more room to grow.....scribble...scribble.....but beach erosion takes op ocean volume.........divide by .456....scribble....scribble...ports up and down the coast are being deepened and widened.....scribble...scribble...yet more volume that can be optimized by rising oceans.....scribble....scribble...hmmmmm....we are removing a lot of fish from the water....hmmm....creates more volume for rising oceans...I think I'm on to something here...let me finish my calculations.....

Ha that’s great.
Old 16-02-2022, 18:41   #126

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
The Antagonists
People who emit CO2 from fossil fuels
Quote:
of Predictions of Climate Change
climate scientists
Quote:
and sea level rise,
consequences
Quote:
are the same ones that will claim themselves
they warned you
Quote:
as Victims of Climate Change
poor people
Quote:
when it goes bad.
it's already bad
Quote:
Perma frost is melting releasing much more Methane and Co2 than can be accurately predicted, compounding data.

In other words, warming is accelerating, and as such will accelerate sea level rise.
In 30 I'll be Dead, so, just watching and chuckling, as those that " love living in denial, get there wishes fulfilled.

Enjoy! We won't change it now.
Boatyarddog
Don't be so sure, of the future or what will or will not change.
Old 16-02-2022, 19:00   #127
Marine Service Provider

Almost 100% of so-called sea level rise is caused by the shifting of the Earth's tectonic plates. This is a natural phenomenon over which humans have no control. Kansas was once at the bottom of an ocean. So was Mt. Everest.

Every molecule of water that was on the planet is still her today in three forms solid liquid and gas, except for a small quantity the has been broken down into hydrogen and oxygen experimentally.

I ask people if all the ice in the arctic melted how much would the sea levels rise? I get answers from 2 to 20 feet. The answer of course is zero. All arctic ice is floating and therefore is already displacing an amount of water equal to its weight.

While it's true that arctic ice has been melting at a relatively fast rate in recent years the snowpack has increased dramatically on the Antarctic Contenant. Its Ross Ice Shelf is the size France, but it too is afloat, as are the dozen or so other ice shelfs in Antarctica.

Man-made global warming has been soundly debunked. "Climate Change" has been substituted as the woke crisis of the day. The woke folks have had to admit that this is a natural occurrence which has gone on since the planet was formed.

So let me get this straight. If climate change is a natural occurrence why are humans suggesting that man-made efforts will have any effect on the inevitable? Good luck. It's not nice to fool Mother Nature.
Old 16-02-2022, 19:06   #128

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Just on TV tonight-California ocean levels to rise 1 foot on next 30 years. What are the communities to do ?

So that is 304 mm in 30 years, or 10 mm a year.

That is 10 times the current level of rise, on the California Coast, on average.

California coast sea level trends run from -0.70 mm/year in Cresent City to 2.2 mm/year in San Diego, with most of the state in the 1 mm/year category.

No specific details on how this is predicted to occur, and by what level of certainty, is provided to the 30 million who live here.

Ocean rise gets to 10x the current rise amount on average. But many websites call it eye-opening anyway.
Old 16-02-2022, 19:57   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson38 View Post
California coast sea level trends run from -0.70 mm/year in Cresent City to 2.2 mm/year in San Diego, with most of the state in the 1 mm/year category.
Nope
Old 16-02-2022, 20:36   #130

For global sea level trends might I suggest.

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl.../sltrends.html
Old 16-02-2022, 20:48   #131

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
For global sea level trends might I suggest.

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl.../sltrends.html
For Global Distruction might I suggest Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D., N.Y.)

"The World is Going to End In Twelve Years If We Don’t Address Climate Change"
Old 16-02-2022, 21:07   #132

Quote:
Natural forcings cannot explain the current warming.

Here is the climate.gov data https://www.climate.gov/climatedashboard

Here is 500 millions years of data.
What is your 500million year graph trying to show that can't be explained? The use of a quasi-logarithmic scale distorts the results, so not much can be made of the graph.

If you expand many of the earlier sections similar to the last few hundred years, you will see similar flat sections followed by changes.
Old 16-02-2022, 21:12   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
It might be helpful for you to distinguish the difference between “ weather” and the word “ climate “ !
I agree.

Except, it's common for one side of the discussion to chastise the other for incorrect use of terminology when it supports their position but happily makes the same logical mistake to prove their point.

So now when the news stories and climate activist wax on after a hurricane/tornado/forest fire/heat or cold wave how this is climate change, will you chastise them also for incorrect and misleading terminology?
Old 16-02-2022, 21:23   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by masknfins View Post
Stop using weather forecasts, they're models built by scientists.
Weather forecasts are quite good for the next 1-3 days. By the time you get a week out they are little better than educated guesses.

Ironically, climate modeling is the opposite. Trying to look at a few years, a few decades, even a few centuries can be incredibly hard to predict but expand that out into the 10's of thousands of years and you can see the patterns.

Problem is humans haven't been impacting the climate for long enough to get a good handle on what is normal variation vs caused by humans...even more important, what humans can do to impact it.
Old 16-02-2022, 21:25   #135

Quote:
My favorite climate scientists

Kerry Emanuel - registered Republican

Richard Alley - registered Republican

Katharine Hayhoe - Evangelical Christian

Very strange

I have a buddy with a cherry orchard...can he borrow your picker.
Closed Thread