Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2020, 21:28   #16

Re: Waiting on a weather window out of block island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
We are in Narragansett Bay and waiting for the storm to pass also. We haven’t decided whether to head to Cape May or go inside down the Sound to NYC and Sandy Hook, NJ.

The way the weather is looking though, I expect we’ll be heading west in LIS.
Everything you said is what I was hoping to do also. Maybe you'd like to buddy boat a bit? We'll probably get without shouting distance of each other soon enough.

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 21:42   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I’ve definitely had the same experience in Newport.

You don’t need to worry about traffic if you do sneak inside the sound. It’s mostly dead this time of year other than the Port Jefferson ferry and the commercial traffic which isn’t too heavy really. Large power boat wakes? Nah. Those guys are not out in this crud.

You need books and heat. And to talk to people online while passing the time. Maybe one or two nights in a nice, warm inn on shore?

Stick your boat on a mooring for better safety from damage than a dock and go be warm and dry and cozy for a night or two. A nice hot shower would feel great I bet.

It’ll renew your spirits and get you in a better state of mind for the trip south.

I spent a week stick on the (30ft) boat in Newport with similar weather before. Not even any dogs with me. Before you could get internet on a boat. I was too poor o go ashore for a night and the harbor was so rough they weren’t running launches and there was no hope of using a dinghy.

It was an exercise in sanity. Treat yourself. No need to suffer
I think I underestimated this storm, at least for being tied to a dock. Cailin lives on the ball and while I've owned her she's been through storms that were supposed to have the same wind speed (I live 100 miles away from the marina so I didn't get to see it).

The dogs are stoically riding out the storm. Still playing. With the wind and the chop up now they seem a bit like, "why are we here?" and I can't says I blame them. No big weather window coming and The reason we are on the dock, so I can get to land, is no more. There dock is 8 feet away. Through some brute strength and foolish leaps I was able to get a snapped line replaced, before I got a helping hand on the dock. What was 4 lines is now 10 lines. Hopefully the sta-set sheets don't rip my cleats out. I left those a little loose so that the nylon dick lines bring up the tension a bit first...

There is supposed to be a break in the weather on Saturday. If the town moorings are still out, I'll pick up one of those, and try to find a cheap Airbnb. I forget which day but there was supposed to be a big shift after zeta passes which would make it really hard not to end up with the boat pressed against the dock at some point.

- AT
Old 30-10-2020, 04:03   #18

Hey Atta!

All I can offer to the chorus of voices is to remember to be grateful that you're in a protected harbour while the remainder of this hurricane barrels down on you. This decision was good seamanship.

I was caught out in the Atlantic for four days of a diminishing hurricane once and that was bad enough.

As anxious as you may be to get a move on, there WILL be a weather window that will allow you to make a safe passage and take care of you as well as your boat. Remember that maxim, "Take care of your boat and she'll take care of you."

(Note, also, Chotu's reminder about Long Island Sound traffic at this time of year. He's right. Not much.)

This thread reminds me of Thomm225's thread from last week: Is Sailing Fun? https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...un-241200.html

I guess this is one of those times that you wonder why the h*ll am I doing this to myself? But you are more alive in this moment, sitting on a dock, waiting out a gale, than most humans will get to be in their entire lifetimes.

Hang in there!
Fair winds coming soon!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 06:28   #19

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Take advantage of Payne’s while you can. I’m surprised any moorings are still out “Ace” should have pulled them all by now. He must have been delayed due to the series of storms we have experienced this fall.
This late in the season I would head down through Long Island Sound because there are dozens of secure anchorages to choose from, most facilities are closed for the season, this will make it a challenge to stock up on stores or fuel. At least you can get ashore for pet stops as you work your way along the coast.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 07:20   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Hey Atta!

All I can offer to the chorus of voices is to remember to be grateful that you're in a protected harbour while the remainder of this hurricane barrels down on you. This decision was good seamanship.

I was caught out in the Atlantic for four days of a diminishing hurricane once and that was bad enough.

As anxious as you may be to get a move on, there WILL be a weather window that will allow you to make a safe passage and take care of you as well as your boat. Remember that maxim, "Take care of your boat and she'll take care of you."

(Note, also, Chotu's reminder about Long Island Sound traffic at this time of year. He's right. Not much.)

This thread reminds me of Thomm225's thread from last week: Is Sailing Fun? https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...un-241200.html

I guess this is one of those times that you wonder why the h*ll am I doing this to myself? But you are more alive in this moment, sitting on a dock, waiting out a gale, than most humans will get to be in their entire lifetimes.

Hang in there!
Fair winds coming soon!
LittleWing77
Hey little wing :-)

That's about the gist of it! I'm sure here and can't go to Florida, or home, for days. Right now I'm hanging off the dock by bow lines only. During the lull when we put the lines in place it was nice and looked appropriate, best we could do I guess. My pulpit has since meet with the dock and is a little worse for wear. Hopefully it's a one time thing, because all the slack for the lines I'm on right now is on the dock.

I don't know what I'm going to do in the coming days... The town moorings have been winterized. I would so love to drop her on a ball and go airnb. I guess I could put my faith in the storm for the first time.

BTW, sleet/hail is collecting on my boat. ... And I'm waiting for the dogs to do their business. It's not really even fit for them outside on deck, so guess where...

-AT
Old 30-10-2020, 07:23   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Take advantage of Payne’s while you can. I’m surprised any moorings are still out “Ace” should have pulled them all by now. He must have been delayed due to the series of storms we have experienced this fall.
This late in the season I would head down through Long Island Sound because there are dozens of secure anchorages to choose from, most facilities are closed for the season, this will make it a challenge to stock up on stores or fuel. At least you can get ashore for pet stops as you work your way along the coast.
Thanks for the tip on the fuel and reprovisions. I'll try to stock up some more here if I can. I need to look and see if they have a laundry here too, everything is getting very wet. Damn goretex gear is not waterproof.

The town moorings have all been pulled, Kate told me so. I'll have to carefully plan my next moves to bring my boat through all this. The last forecast I looked at had a big shift with very high winds that will be hard to contend with.

- AT
Old 30-10-2020, 08:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Do you have any suggestions for anchorages near the mouth of LIS? Just contemplating places I could run to on Saturday.

Thanks,
AT
Old 30-10-2020, 08:41   #23

Stonington in Fisher's Island Sound. On Port side of harbor (past port side breakwater) they have an anchorage marked with 4 orange markers where there are no moorings. There is a dinghy dock opposite just to the right of a restaurant with a pier and on left side of a little marina part of Stonington yacht Club marina (building is an old factory with condo's now.)
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 10:25   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
Stonington in Fisher's Island Sound. On Port side of harbor (past port side breakwater) they have an anchorage marked with 4 orange markers where there are no moorings. There is a dinghy dock opposite just to the right of a restaurant with a pier and on left side of a little marina part of Stonington yacht Club marina (building is an old factory with condo's now.)
It looks like you're talking right about 41°19.743'N • 71°54.889'W. How is the holding and the protection? If I make this run the anchorage is going to get immediately tried pretty hard. First souwest on the break water, then pretty much all points North. Looks like the fetch could get decent if one didn't drive up into the mooring area for North winds.

- AT
Old 30-10-2020, 11:21   #25

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Depending on how long you can wait, forecast is for warming (50-60's)/sunny on this coming Wed/Thur..check out Greenport on the north fork, east end of long island...town marina that is 50 yards from downtown...small lawn for your dogs..great little, walkable town w/ microbrewery and other ways to spend your $$...check your chartplotter/chart, but i think about 3-4 hrs west of block..
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 11:32   #26

The holding is pretty good in the sand in the Great Salt Pond right off of dinghy beach.

Lake Montauk has good holding. You can, position yourself on the leeward shore. You might have to move as the wind clocks around.

Behind Napatree beach (Watch Hill) is good holding, but only really protected from a South wind.

Stongington inside of the inner seawall you can anchor.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 11:44   #27

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Well If you want to get a move on, you can leave first thing tomorrow and I think you can make Atlantic Highlands overnight on the outside before the south-westerly fills in Sunday afternoon. (140mi at 5 knts is 28 hours) You may have some nice sailing in the morning with 10knts out of the north, swell behind you before it dies. Then you will have your Westing done and can head south on Tues in a nice westerly beam reach for Cape May with an off-shore breeze, sweet sailing.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 12:07   #28

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
It looks like you're talking right about 41°19.743'N • 71°54.889'W. How is the holding and the protection? If I make this run the anchorage is going to get immediately tried pretty hard. First souwest on the break water, then pretty much all points North. Looks like the fetch could get decent if one didn't drive up into the mooring area for North winds.

- AT
The holding in the Stonington anchorage is mixed. Some people say it’s great. Others have a hard time getting a good set. South and north protection is a challenge in Fishers Island Sound. If you want to leave Block, take a look at going up the Mystic River and anchoring by the cemetery north of the Seaport. Great holding and decent protection.
Old 30-10-2020, 12:21   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS

be sure to work the current
Alec H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 12:31   #30

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
Everything you said is what I was hoping to do also. Maybe you'd like to buddy boat a bit? We'll probably get without shouting distance of each other soon enough.

- AT
Our plan now is to vote on Tuesday in MA, first thing, and then get a ride to RI to the boat.

I’ll watch the forecast but so far it looks like Weds. or Thursday to start out.

Still not sure about a straight shot to Cape May or going west in LIS.

I’ll keep in touch and private message you when we know more about what we’re doing.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather, wind