Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2020, 12:53   #31

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'
Re: Waiting on a weather window out of block island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
It looks like you're talking right about 41°19.743'N • 71°54.889'W. How is the holding and the protection? If I make this run the anchorage is going to get immediately tried pretty hard. First souwest on the break water, then pretty much all points North. Looks like the fetch could get decent if one didn't drive up into the mooring area for North winds.

- AT
I don't see a north wind in the forecast after today's blows out. Tomorrow is calm all day. A westerly sets in Sunday night and fizzles on Wed.

You could make Greenport or many other anchorages in the Forks tomorrow. There are town moorings in New London which are free and on the west side of the river, so they should be fine with a west blow. Dink dock right there and all of New London downtown.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 12:55   #32

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Hey, fri 3 pm just looked at the wind app Windfinder pro, seems to be a window from 3am Sat to 5pm Sat.

If I were running this in my 28 ft Benetau I would head out due north From the horbor and Take it on the nose or of the port quarter till you get 2-3 miles off Road Island/Connecticut and then head for the races.( Reduce the fetch to make time) The tide into the sound should be with you till 11am.
Once your on the sound there are plenty of places to hide. I call oyster bay home and it is a great stoping point OBMC is deep in the harbor but also very close to town they should have room for you on dock.
The NYC leg you will be Going threw hell gate you will need to hit the tide at its peak high or just as it starts outgoing ...towards the city The west end of the sound empties though the city.
If you want to stay in the city liberty landing marina has great views and not as expensive as NY yacht club, if you are looking to inch closer to cape May there are options on the south shore of staten Island/sandy hook or gateway marina in Brooklyn just past Coney Island
OR drop anchor off of Breezey point (the last barrier island before the Atlantic on the New York side of the channel) the anchorage Is just east of a little light house, there is a supermarket a few blocks in. Breezey peeps are the salt of the earth it’s the Irish Rivera !!!

Also not sure of your experience level around large commercial vessels, make way for them, ferries, barges, tankers, cargo ships, they all go much faster than you think.

Good luck, have fun
And say high to the lady with the book and the torch you should first be able to see her a 1/2 mile south of the Williamsburg bridge.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 13:01   #33

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

OBMC Closes at about 5 this late in the season, so if you roll up later you should be able to tie up no problem. Also as the sound narrows in the West if you hug the windward shores you will reduce the weather significantly fyi
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 13:07   #34
mdc

Boat: 1982 Tayana 37 & 1961 Pearson Alberg 35

I'm thinking that The Oar is a perfect place to take shelter until a good window opens up.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 15:06   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Depending on how long you can wait, forecast is for warming (50-60's)/sunny on this coming Wed/Thur..check out Greenport on the north fork, east end of long island...town marina that is 50 yards from downtown...small lawn for your dogs..great little, walkable town w/ microbrewery and other ways to spend your $$...check your chartplotter/chart, but i think about 3-4 hrs west of block..
I think this is the window that I'm looking at. The Saturday window seems so short, and I'm sure the seas will be up. My boat doesn't make so many miles in a day if the weather isn't great so a small hop into LIS sounds the best to me. Still have one more blow from the west to get through though.

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 15:20   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Our plan now is to vote on Tuesday in MA, first thing, and then get a ride to RI to the boat.

I’ll watch the forecast but so far it looks like Weds. or Thursday to start out.

Still not sure about a straight shot to Cape May or going west in LIS.

I’ll keep in touch and private message you when we know more about what we’re doing.
It sounds like our plans could definitely line up for timing days wise now. Definitely keep in touch, this is my first time trying to make miles like this and going with someone would make me feel better about it.

-AT
Old 30-10-2020, 15:22   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I'm thinking that The Oar is a perfect place to take shelter until a good window opens up.
Unfortunately the oar and so much of block island is closed! I did get to eat there when I was here for labor day! The weather was better then. No sleet and no snow and it wasn't blowing 30 with 2 foot swells lol.

- AT
Old 30-10-2020, 15:34   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
Hey, fri 3 pm just looked at the wind app Windfinder pro, seems to be a window from 3am Sat to 5pm Sat.

If I were running this in my 28 ft Benetau I would head out due north From the horbor and Take it on the nose or of the port quarter till you get 2-3 miles off Road Island/Connecticut and then head for the races.( Reduce the fetch to make time) The tide into the sound should be with you till 11am.
Once your on the sound there are plenty of places to hide. I call oyster bay home and it is a great stoping point OBMC is deep in the harbor but also very close to town they should have room for you on dock.
The NYC leg you will be Going threw hell gate you will need to hit the tide at its peak high or just as it starts outgoing ...towards the city The west end of the sound empties though the city.
If you want to stay in the city liberty landing marina has great views and not as expensive as NY yacht club, if you are looking to inch closer to cape May there are options on the south shore of staten Island/sandy hook or gateway marina in Brooklyn just past Coney Island
OR drop anchor off of Breezey point (the last barrier island before the Atlantic on the New York side of the channel) the anchorage Is just east of a little light house, there is a supermarket a few blocks in. Breezey peeps are the salt of the earth it’s the Irish Rivera !!!

Also not sure of your experience level around large commercial vessels, make way for them, ferries, barges, tankers, cargo ships, they all go much faster than you think.

Good luck, have fun
And say high to the lady with the book and the torch you should first be able to see her a 1/2 mile south of the Williamsburg bridge.
The Irish Riviera sounds fun! After all, I'll be showing up in s/v Cailín.

Unfortunately I can't plow to windward tomorrow, looks like the tanks have been stirred up I need to get the stink box running again. I also have to be conservative with my sail plans right now, the wings I have are old as hell. I have new ones on the way, but they're still about 2 weeks out...

And just as an aside for anyone who might find this thread in the future - great salt pond may have 360 protection but when it blows from the north there is no where to hide. East isn't the best either. Words from long time locals, that I learned the hard way lol.

Oh and nor'west in the forecast usually means North according to the locals. Looking at the toppo I bet the northern spit bends the winds.

- AT
Old 06-11-2020, 07:11   #39

Boat: Toni Hansen Trimere 33

I just left Block Island and have decided to stay inside. I’m now in Old Saubrook, CT and my next stop will be Port Jefferson NY. All the wind has been out of the west and I don’t want to just sit and wait. I find that motoring against a light wind is not unpleasant at all. And 40-50 miles per day feels good.
Supers0nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 14:07   #40

Boat: SOLD our M/V HOPE Grand Banks 42 now we're Hopeless

Tried it once BI to Cape May. Never again! LIS, East river, and if you can Barnagate bay from Manasquan Inlet to Cape May.
CaptJPMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 17:20   #41

Boat: Sabre 36, Pearson 34. Boatless

Been there done that. Inside Block Island the wind is often much worse than outside. Sort of a Venturi effect. If you can time the current/tide go into Gardener’s Bay just a little East of Montauk. Lots of places to hide.. Time the current to take you out through Plum Gut and go to the Connecticut side. Lots of places to duck in. The Long Island side has nothing between Mattituck and Port Jeff. Long island Sound can be more dangerous than the ocean based on opposing winds and current. With a 27 footer you need the current. Much safer on the Connecticut side. Go through the East River and on to Sandy Hook. Best bet is to get a window to Mannesquan, NJ. You can either make for. Cape May or go into Atlantic City. North up to the C and D canal and you are okay. But the Delaware Bay can have issues with current and traffic. Take advantage of your shallow draft and put in if it’s too rough. The Jersey coast there is a nasty piece of water at times.
Good luck.
Normanskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 17:46   #42

Boat: SOLD our M/V HOPE Grand Banks 42 now we're Hopeless
Re: Hope Your Not still Waiting on a weather window out of block island

Are you in the same world as me? The WX has been like summer here in RI?
I have to assume you are underway and at least inside LI. Outside of Clinton try Duck Island Harbor. Nice spot. Another good hole at Throngs neck Bridge called Little Harbor. Nice spot to wait to time Hells Gate and East river.
CaptJPMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather, wind