Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2020, 08:47   #1

Waiting on a weather window out of block island

Right now I'm tied up against Payne's dock waiting to get clobbered by the remains of Zeta. Me and my dogs are trying to stay dry and warm, watching Netflix in the vbirth of my slightly drippy CD 27.

I left my well protected mt. hope bay Marina Wednesday and headed for block island to weather the low. I was really hoping like the storms before it would make for some (what looked to me like) great passage weather South, I wanted to try to make it to cape may in a go from block island. It doesn't look like this storm will be that kind.

Now sitting here and looking at the forecast, I think I'm hunkered down until Tuesday and then that would really only be at best a day so I'd be running somewhere in long island sound I guess.

Wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom, encouragement, etc. Feeling pretty low right now.

-AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 09:06   #2

Re: Waiting on a weather window out of block island

Are the town moorings still out? I think the green's are 2,000lb moorings. If not, then the oranges are. If the greens are 2K then the oranges are heavier. I'd rather sit on a mooring with doubled up pandents, than be tied to fixed docks.

Otherwise, I suspect Paynes is empty. CAn you run lines to pilings on the opposite side and hold yourself off of the dock??
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 09:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Are the town moorings still out? I think the green's are 2,000lb moorings. If not, then the oranges are. If the greens are 2K then the oranges are heavier. I'd rather sit on a mooring with doubled up pandents, than be tied to fixed docks.

Otherwise, I suspect Paynes is empty. CAn you run lines to pilings on the opposite side and hold yourself off of the dock??
I'm set up so that the wind should blow me off the dock for most of the storm. On Friday it will clock around a little and should be on the nose. That may try to peel the bow off the dock and push the stern into the dock if that happens (with the widest beam being the fulcrum in this lever). If it was just me I'd pick a mooring, or put the storm anchor out, but I have two dogs with me so I wanted to be able to get to shore easily for potty breaks or if things go bad. There is no one here, so I could tie up anywhere. I thought of spidering inside one of the corrals but then again I can't get in and out of the boat that easily.
Old 29-10-2020, 12:44   #4

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Waiting for weather is a bummer, but a window always opens up. Having said that, this time of year you may be hard pressed to find a long-enough window to go from Block to Cape May given your boat speed. At some point you have to balance the time spent waiting to go outside vs. simply making progress inside - it starts to become a tortoise/hare situation. Believe me, I get it - this is our third trip south (our first two trips began in Connecticut).

One thing is for certain, it’s only going to get colder so you might want to get a move on - don’t wait too much longer unless you don’t mind the temperatures.
Old 29-10-2020, 12:59   #5

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

I second what Cthoops is saying, you can hop outside from many points as you go south on the ICW, cold weather makes for lots of condensation in your boat, that coupled with being cold grows old pretty quickly.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 13:12   #6

Boat: Sabre 34

While waiting for the storm to pass, can you duck westward into the sound and take shelter there? You can then continue through the east river on your way south.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 14:19   #7

I think I am going to have to get into long island sound now, but as a single hander I was hoping to stay outside for a little less traffic and to out run that cold!

The latest predict wind looks like there might be a brief window on Saturday to get into the sound, but it will need to be a short quick jump and I bet the sea will be a choppy nightmare. �� Other than that window, it looks like I'm stuck here with 30kt winds until Wednesday - and only because that's how far out the prediction goes. Bleh.
Old 29-10-2020, 14:28   #8

Boat: Maine Cat 38

We enjoy waiting for weather in Atlantic Highlands. The place is dog friendly. We anchor or use a mooring. There are several places to land a dinghy.
Old 29-10-2020, 16:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
Waiting for weather is a bummer, but a window always opens up. Having said that, this time of year you may be hard pressed to find a long-enough window to go from Block to Cape May given your boat speed. At some point you have to balance the time spent waiting to go outside vs. simply making progress inside - it starts to become a tortoise/hare situation. Believe me, I get it - this is our third trip south (our first two trips began in Connecticut).

One thing is for certain, it’s only going to get colder so you might want to get a move on - don’t wait too much longer unless you don’t mind the temperatures.

Where are you beginning your trip South from this year?
Old 29-10-2020, 16:21   #10

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Woof Brutal. 29 gusting to 42 in a leaky 27 foot Cape Dory? Just be thankful you aren't at sea.

I've been there man. We got stuck in the LIS for like 3 weeks just waiting for a weather window in November 2014. The fact is, if you are heading South this time of year, and if you don't want to get the snot beaten out of you in a tiny under powered sailboat, then you are likely going to be spending a lot of time on a mooring or dock so make sure you've got that netflix subscription topped up and have lots of good books. Should've brought a nice warm girlfriend with you buddy. Makes passing the time easier.

My only advice is to try and soak in as much beauty while it's not raining to counteract this shitty gray pall that covers everything this time of year. That and keep in mind that once you hit the ICW it's all easy breezy straight to Florida. Mostly getting to Cape May is the hard part and it gets very chill from there.
Old 29-10-2020, 16:34   #11

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
Where are you beginning your trip South from this year?
We didn’t spend this past summer in Connecticut. We only went as far north as the Chesapeake, but we’ll never do that again. From now on it’s definitely summer in New England.

Currently we’re in Beaufort, SC waiting on weather. We’ve found each year we start heading south earlier - much better weather and we stay away from the cold temperatures. Of course there is certainly a hurricane risk that comes with leaving early....

Where are you hoping to spend the winter? Good luck and safe travels!
Old 29-10-2020, 16:35   #12

We're probably go going to sail Tuesday the 3rd, nothing looks very good before then.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 16:39   #13

Boat: Formosa 41

We are in Narragansett Bay and waiting for the storm to pass also. We haven’t decided whether to head to Cape May or go inside down the Sound to NYC and Sandy Hook, NJ.

The way the weather is looking though, I expect we’ll be heading west in LIS.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 16:57   #14

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I’ve definitely had the same experience in Newport.

You don’t need to worry about traffic if you do sneak inside the sound. It’s mostly dead this time of year other than the Port Jefferson ferry and the commercial traffic which isn’t too heavy really. Large power boat wakes? Nah. Those guys are not out in this crud.

You need books and heat. And to talk to people online while passing the time. Maybe one or two nights in a nice, warm inn on shore?

Stick your boat on a mooring for better safety from damage than a dock and go be warm and dry and cozy for a night or two. A nice hot shower would feel great I bet.

It’ll renew your spirits and get you in a better state of mind for the trip south.

I spent a week stick on the (30ft) boat in Newport with similar weather before. Not even any dogs with me. Before you could get internet on a boat. I was too poor o go ashore for a night and the harbor was so rough they weren’t running launches and there was no hope of using a dinghy.

It was an exercise in sanity. Treat yourself. No need to suffer
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 21:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
We're probably go going to sail Tuesday the 3rd, nothing looks very good before then.

There third is a Saturday. There is a small window then, but I don't know if I'd have a chance in hell of making it to the mouth of LIS before the wind kicked up again! Plus the waves would still be up during the ~10 hour window.

-AT

Tags
weather, wind