Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2011, 16:36   #1
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Weather Fax SI-TEX Nav-Fax 200 (Stand Alone?)

Does this device require connection to a separate SSB unit? It says it comes with its own antenna so I am thinking not but am unsure. I'm looking for the most cost effective way of receiving weather data offshore.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SI-TEX-Nav-Fax-200-Shortwave-SSB-Weather-Fax-Receiver-/390330725181?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=i tem5ae186333d

Also, would it be a good idea to speak to a rigger when getting a boat re rigged to insulate the backstay?

Thanks!
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 23:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Weather Fax SI-TEX Nav-Fax 200 (stand alone?)

Sometimes I feel I need a miners' license to dig through the information provided about short wave receivers.

You can find some interesting reviews here. Bring your miners' license.

As a comparison I can't see anything wrong with the head phone out jack on a Sony ICF-SW7600GR connected to the microphone input on a laptop running one of the better weatherfax software products.

The eHam review of the Sony is here.

Do make sure that you check that whatever you get works before launching off into the wide blue yonder.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 00:41   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

It is an SSB receiver that will need a PC & software to receive the fax.

Make sure yours has audio-out as there are some that don't. Then the demodulation is via the mic, which is a pain in the lower back.

For receiving the antenna can be just a length o plain wire (supplied with the unit).

All tuning, choice of FQ, starting up the unit at the right time etc. is done manually.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 00:45   #4

BTW the price look price. Check out NASA Marine maybe you can get the same unit at a better price.

b.
Old 18-09-2011, 00:45   #5

Also check out Grundig units.

b.
Old 18-09-2011, 01:38   #6
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Does this device require connection to a separate SSB unit? It says it comes with its own antenna so I am thinking not but am unsure. I'm looking for the most cost effective way of receiving weather data offshore.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SI-TEX-Nav-Fax-200-Shortwave-SSB-Weather-Fax-Receiver-/390330725181?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=i tem5ae186333d

Also, would it be a good idea to speak to a rigger when getting a boat re rigged to insulate the backstay?

Thanks!
By far a better radio is one of these

I've had both, the 1103 is streets ahead. Recieved wfax across atlantic with the 1103 just croc clipped onto the masthead fm car radio aerial. Then free software from JVComm32 - FAX SSTV RTTY SYNOP NAVTEX program and off you go.

Insulated backstay might be a bit extreme, i also tried some wire wrapped over the sprayhood which was enough to recieve as well, if you have a fibreglass boat you could try just attaching to a shroud.

But don't expect to have too much success in a marina, reception is much better once you get out there.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 03:07   #7

confirmed : reception in the marina nill to poor, offshore no problem

If you are serious about fax get a receiver that has:
1. memories,
2. backlit screen,
3. audio out,

A unit that can pick up the strongest of the signals is very good as is something that will have an auto wake up that can be programmed to various times.

A dedicated fax unit is very fine (e.g. Furuno).

b.
Old 18-09-2011, 09:20   #8
cruiser

Thanks again guys. So I should just get the multi purpose degen 1103 or Sony-ICF-SW7600GR, then use its output to a laptop with the correct FREE software? This will not only be 7 times cheaper but actually BETTER? Plus have more functions?

Yes the boat is fiberglass so the rig might work as an antenna? But if the rig is grounded might this not cause potential probs? (pun intended). So I insualated backstay is overkill hey? I mean I am getting a new backstay anyway, but if it is exepnsive I wont bother.

Excuse my ignorance as I am only just researching these kinds of devices, but what is the benefit of the $4000 SSB units? Is it better reception, the ability to transmit, and use a crude email function? Ebay shows sat phones for as low as $350. Wouldn't a SSB receiver and SAT phone pretty much have you covered if you can do without the email?

I just want the most cost effective way of getting the weather information required for a single Pacific puddle jump, plus the ability to contact someone for emergencies like a sat phone which can be borrowed, loaned or resold.
Old 18-09-2011, 10:06   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Thanks again guys. So I should just get the multi purpose degen 1103 or Sony-ICF-SW7600GR, then use its output to a laptop with the correct FREE software? This will not only be 7 times cheaper but actually BETTER? Plus have more functions?
Yep, you got it. A better radio with lots more memories
Schedule here - http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance as I am only just researching these kinds of devices, but what is the benefit of the $4000 SSB units? Is it better reception, the ability to transmit, and use a crude email function? Ebay shows sat phones for as low as $350. Wouldn't a SSB receiver and SAT phone pretty much have you covered if you can do without the email?

I just want the most cost effective way of getting the weather information required for a single Pacific puddle jump, plus the ability to contact someone for emergencies like a sat phone which can be borrowed, loaned or resold.
Satphone vs ssb(or ham) radio can create some fairly polorised opinions. I've had satphone before and it is nice offshore, can send recieve email as well, but long term I found the line rental costs too high.
Top tip, google is a bit better to search forums than the site search engine, if you put "site:www.myforum" in the search line then what you are looking for.

Like this - Let me google that for you

Happy reading
Old 18-09-2011, 10:14   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Weather Fax SI-TEX Nav-Fax 200 (Stand Alone?)

The software may be free for demonstration purposes only. The one I got to work would only display the result.

To print or save one had to buy.

I tried two. One worked, one didn't. I didn't push it any further.

For the price difference I'd go with the Sony.

The expensive aerials may be needed for transmission, maybe not so necessary for reception. I found the weatherfax transmissions to be pretty strong.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 10:52   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
The software may be free for demonstration purposes only. The one I got to work would only display the result.
Jvcomm works fine in demo mode. There's a watermark on the images and when you close the program you get a splash screen for 30 secs but apart from that it's all there. I've lost the reg so been using it in demo for a while now.
Old 18-09-2011, 13:47   #12
cruiser

Awesome thanks guys. Yeah the thing about most forum searches is they do not like relevant 3 letter searches like "SSB". I will go through that list and have a read of that PDF.
Old 18-09-2011, 14:29   #13
cruiser

Lot of info there. Seems I certainly will not be getting a transmitting SSB. And I will be getting a sat phone. Question is do I even need the degen 1103 or Sony-ICF-SW7600GR with a sat phone? I assume both options receive GRIB files? What would the ongoing cost be to download GRIB files with the sat phone, and would I need a special modem for using the sat phone to load GRIB files and email?

I'm using a free hotel computer so searching is a PITA with the crap setup they have here.
Old 18-09-2011, 14:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Jvcomm works fine in demo mode. There's a watermark on the images and when you close the program you get a splash screen for 30 secs but apart from that it's all there. I've lost the reg so been using it in demo for a while now.
We use jvcomm and :

Navacom.nl...MeteoScan...Weather maps on your personal computer !!

I have an older copy that we got from another sailor. It is a demo too but works fine as is.

In retrospective, I would not pay more than 150-200 bucks for the receiver, I paid more because I did not know the options.

I think if there is a unit (or any combination of toys) that can record the night transmissions, then it is a great bonus as at times the best reception was when I needed sleep most.

Also, any unit that can pick up the strongest signal alternative ... but maybe I am just daydreaming - I know this function from Furuno. Maybe there is no such thing in SSB receivers.

b.
Old 18-09-2011, 14:44   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Lot of info there. Seems I certainly will not be getting a transmitting SSB. And I will be getting a sat phone. Question is do I even need the degen 1103 or Sony-ICF-SW7600GR with a sat phone? I assume both options receive GRIB files? What would the ongoing cost be to download GRIB files with the sat phone, and would I need a special modem for using the sat phone to load GRIB files and email?

I'm using a free hotel computer so searching is a PITA with the crap setup they have here.
Well worth having a reciever in addition to a sat phone. The radio recieves weatherfax, which is different from gribs but in some ways better.

You get to see the big picture and get a feel for what's coming your way. Anyway, the degen doesn't cost much and you get to listen to worldband radio as well.

Tags
weather