Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2023, 11:58   #1

Boat: E. G. van de Stadt, Pandora 22ft
What wind is safe for my Pandora 22ft?

Hello there!

This year I bought a Pandora 22ft and in Ireland these days it's being quite windy (like 17kn gusting up to 37kn) and I'm just wondering. What is a safe wind for me to go out for a sailing day? Should I even be looking at the gusts speed?

I know that as a beginner you shuold be okay with up until 10kn but to get these winds in Ireland sometimes is difficult.

Thanks a a lot beforehand and may the winds be always favourable!
Warlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 12:23   #2

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Re: What wind is safe for my Pandora 22ft?

Winds can be hazardous, but the real danger are the waves they form. Properly reefed, you should be able to sail in 22kts or thereabouts, though the rig may not be as well balanced thus requiring more physical effort. But don’t expect it to be comfortable.
Old 11-07-2023, 12:33   #3

Boat: Sabre 34

Agree with above, I will add that a lot depends on your experience, state of the boat and rigging, and age of the sails.

If you are a new sailor I would take it easy at first and learn the boat, go out in mild to moderate conditions until you feel comfortable to face the conditions you describe.

Also, the boat can take a lot more than you - you will have to find your comfort level, and that takes time.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 14:24   #4

Warlick:

Wrong question to ask :-)!

A lot depends on how much experience you have, and WHERE YOU SAIL.

You are in Cork, you say. Lucky fellow :-)! Go talk to these people:

https://www.royalcork.com/

The Royal Cork Yacht Club keeps its keel boats in Crosshaven, does it not?

As long as you stay within Lower Cork Harbour and Loch Mahon you won't have to worry about waves a lot because the fetch it too short to set up significant wave regardless of whence the wind comes. And the estuary of the River Lee is commodious enuff to let you learn a LOT about sailing while you are in safe waters. AFTER you've become comfortable with your boat sailing off Crosshaven, you can have a go at Galway Bay when it blows westerly :-)!

So how strong a wind can you handle? A good rule of thumb for novices is that your boat will be happiest - it will be "in the grove" - when you are close reaching (wind forward of the beam) if it is heeling between 10º and 15º. And so will you :-)!

As the wind speed increases you reduce sail so the boat stays in that range of heel. Ultimately you may be down to no more than a handkerchief for a jib and a tea towel for a main. The desideratum is not how much sail you carry, it is how much the boat heels.

Because of where you are, and the wind conditions that obtain there, it is important that your boat should have good reefing gear. If I were you, I would have 3 (three) reef lines in the main. You probably have a roller furling jib so you can reef it any amount you like.

Particularly as the wind becomes stronger, you will find that "balancing" the boat by reducing sail in unison, jib and main, so as to maintain a little weather helm while staying within the range of heel is the trick to it.

Just stay in the Lower Harbour and go at it little by little and you'll soon get the hang of it :-) If you start practicing in 12 knots of wind or so, and you work up slowly, 30 knots will be exciting in a Pandora 22 even in Cork Lower Harbour, but you will learn to handle it.

Adh mor ort :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind