Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2022, 17:22   #1

Boat: Bristol 19
Barnegat bay...

This will be my first season sailing. At the end of last year's season I purchased a Bristol 19 aka Corinthian 19. Very similar to a cape dory typhoon.

Draft is 2.9 so basically 3 feet. I have worked all Spring making her look nice.

The main channel along the Barnegat Bay in New Jersey is where most power boaters and bigger / faster sailboats go by. Will I be okay not going along the main channel as long as I stay in draft of 3-4 foot minimum? My intention is to avoid the wake and have a more enjoyable and less stressful sailing

Also if you are local, what are good areas I can take advantage of with my low draft?

Thank you for any inputs
austramazonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 17:50   #2

Boat: 2005 Beneteau 331
Re: Barnegat bay...

My 2005 Beneteau 331 draws 4' 9" and sail out of Cedar Creek Marina. The best sailing is from Tom's River as the northern boundary and the BI marker for the channel to the Barnegat Inlet. Give yourself a 1.5 foot clearance and tack often and you'll be fine. If you want deeper water, head out the inlet to the ocean and enjoy.
AdamInYardley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 18:18   #3

Boat: Columbia 50

As you state you’re a beginner, please bear in mind that any sailor who tells you they’ve never run aground is lying they ass off. You too will run aground.
Please familiarize yourself various ways to get yourself afloat again and headed to deeper water. Things like kedging, hanging a heavy weight (like a person or a lift bag full of water) from a halyard and pushing it out to the side to heel the boat, etc. The alternative is depending on passers by (or $eatow) to drag you off.

Most self-help is going to involve getting wet, and tows can have you waiting ages. I would suggest you wait until the water is a bit warmer before venturing out unless you have backup on hand - the water’s still very cold out there

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 04:56   #4
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

Sailed barnegat with a 4.5' draft for years...depending on the wind direction i sailed toms river itself pretty far west, and from the bridge south to the inlet... charts provide some guidance, though i was more cautious early in the season...

Depth sounder is helpful. And you will run aground..mostly soft muck though..

Have fun... great place to sail, except for the power boats on weekends...
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 13:42   #5

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I grew up on LBI. South of the bridge. For your draft, at other than low tide, you should be fine in most places. My brother has a similar draft boat in Brant Beach. He rarely has a problem.

Do abide by the warnings about cold water. Wait until at least June before venturing out of the channels. September will be your best month. October is still great. Water is warm, idiots are home.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 15:58   #6

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Can't speak to sailing on the bay, but you got yourself a great boat! My first sailboat was a Corinthian 40 years ago... still miss her.