Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2023, 07:18   #1

Cape may to Nantucket Martha's vineyard cape cod cruising guides?

Looking to make my first offshore trip this summer from cape may to nantuckett cape cod area. Does any one have any good cruising guide recommendations for this trip and the nantucket waters?
Mg451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2023, 08:44   #2

Re: Cape may to Nantucket Martha's vineyard cape cod cruising guides?

Pick up an “Eldridge” for sure
Are you planning on direct offshore or thru
NYC to Long Island Sound?
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2023, 09:04   #3

Boat: Hylas 49

Agreed, currents will have an impact!
Cape May to Block 36 hours. Block to Newport to Cuttyhunk to Nantucket. The Vineyard on the way home. We usually go north on the outside and LI sound back with a stop in Mystic and overnight in western LIS. MUST time the East River. Hit the first bridge about an hour before the current changes and ride it all the way past the Verrazano.
Guides - I usually use online Navily, Noforeignland, ActiveCaptain.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2023, 09:44   #4

I was thinking direct offshore. But I'd like to cruise the area up there block island Martha's nantucket possibly up to Provincetown.
Old 24-04-2023, 10:06   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

There is a good youtube channel called "New England Boating".

It's not a sailing channel, but it does a great job reviewing marinas, restaurants, shopping, navigating, and visiting all the waters from Long Island to Maine. Fast-paced, professionally produced. Packed with useful information. It will get you excited about your upcoming trip!

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 07:50   #6

You mentioned the Vineyard…easier the enter Nantucket sound through Vineyard sound.

Nantucket is a single harbor (for the most part), you can choose a few options for the vineyard.

I would recommend a stop at the Vineyard (pick a harbor) on the way in, go to Nantucket, head back to another stop on the vineyard. They all have their own flair.

1) Edgartown
2) Menemsha
3) Vineyard Haven
4) Oak Bluffs (loud, crowded, powerboats, generators, party, block island-ish without as many sailboats and no anchoring antics, rafting expected - so be ready). We go there, but you have to be ‘prepared’.

P-town is over priced and land accessible, some people like the place - we don’t but many of our boating friends do.

This is all IMO and worth what you paid (zilch).
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 08:50   #7

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-rocks View Post
You mentioned the Vineyard…easier the enter Nantucket sound through Vineyard sound.

Nantucket is a single harbor (for the most part), you can choose a few options for the vineyard.

I would recommend a stop at the Vineyard (pick a harbor) on the way in, go to Nantucket, head back to another stop on the vineyard. They all have their own flair.

1) Edgartown
2) Menemsha
3) Vineyard Haven
4) Oak Bluffs (loud, crowded, powerboats, generators, party, block island-ish without as many sailboats and no anchoring antics, rafting expected - so be ready). We go there, but you have to be ‘prepared’.

P-town is over priced and land accessible, some people like the place - we don’t but many of our boating friends do.

This is all IMO and worth what you paid (zilch).

I'll add my 2 cents which is pretty much what you said.

Oak Bluffs--never on a weekend! First come on moorings, forced rafting.

Menemsha-- exact opposite of Oak Bluffs. Quiet fishing village. A few dockwa (reservable) moorings inside the harbor, sailboats only, forced rafting. Outside moorings or anchor is rolly from wakes during the day, quiets down at night as long a wind is prevailing SW. I've not done it but folks do.

Vineyard Haven--moorings inside and outside the breakwater. If I remember only outside can be reserved. I've only been inside. The ferry comes buy early and late and will wake you. But it is not a bad spot.

Edgartown--reservable moorings on dockwa. You may be a long way from the dingy dock. If you feel lucky wait until afternoon of your arrival to call harbormaster and they may put you on a closer mooring if the owner is off cruising. Or anchor outside in prevailing SW. Pretty harbor. Upscale. Long dingy ride through Katama Bay to south shore beach is fun. Can't anchor in the Bay anymore unless wind is north when they sometimes open it up.

I'll add Cuttyhunk which is just across Vineyard Sound, the westernmost of the Elizabeth Islands. Quiet and beautiful. First come on the moorings inside, but even outside is well protected in prevailing SW. Not much to do here except walk, but the floating raw bar is great. My favorite of the bunch. If you like Cuttyhunk you will love Hadley Harbor which is at the other end of the Elizabeth Island chain. Pristine.
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 10:21   #8

Awsome info looks like through the east river and li sound is nice to now I'm wondering if cape may to the statue of liberty then to block island would be nice to.
Old 25-04-2023, 12:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mg451 View Post
I was thinking direct offshore. But I'd like to cruise the area up there block island Martha's nantucket possibly up to Provincetown.
If you're going to pass Hell's Gate, the Race, Possibly Woods Hole and the Cape Cod Canal, you'll definitely want an up to date Eldrige Tide and Pilot book.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 13:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
If you're going to pass Hell's Gate, the Race, Possibly Woods Hole and the Cape Cod Canal, you'll definitely want an up to date Eldrige Tide and Pilot book.

Hate to be that guy but it's Hell Gate.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape cod, cruising, cruising guides, nantucket