Re: Cruising by Mailboat in the Bahamas

Amazon
Rasselas36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 18:45   #32

Boat: 2004 Hunter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
Well I apologize to the original poster and all who took offense. The idea of cruising by mailboat is not my cup of tea but I should have kept that to myself.
Your apology is accepted. Thank you and fair winds and safe travels to you however and where ever you travel.
Old 23-04-2021, 05:47   #33

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
Well I apologize to the original poster and all who took offense. The idea of cruising by mailboat is not my cup of tea but I should have kept that to myself.

Not really but maybe just say it didn’t interest you?
I’ve known a couple of people who traveled by tramp cargo ship. Not my cup of tea but they found it interesting.
Old 26-04-2021, 06:57   #34

Boat: Cape Dory 28; Cape Dory 30B

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
I loved Bryson's book, A Walk in the Woods, too, Rob! And I will probably never do a hike like that either. (Although have hiked the Camino in Spain.)

Did you see what Hollywood did to that book? (Same title, movie version with Nick Nolte)
It's amazing how great a book can be and then the movie version ends up being lame...

My own point-of-view is that no matter what, there is no way of conveying a personal experience that will truly get it across. Bryson's experiences are filtered through his funnybone, so they are eminently entertaining - but ultimately, you just have to experience things for yourself. Then they are yours. And not for sale.

Years ago, I was at the Old Year's Night celebration at Foxy's in the British Virgin Islands. It was a tropically hot and humid night. Everyone was in summer clothes/bathing suits, sandals or barefoot. Rum punches and beer flowed liberally. Foxy's 6 sons were jamming the reggae music. Multiple barbeques were going full-tilt. Hundreds of people were dancing (there were 300 boats in the harbour that night); a guy was walking around in a court jester's hat lit by Christmas lights, a couple was having sex under a picnic table near where I was standing catching my breath (I'm a dancer and there wasn't much of that night I wasn't dancing.)

There was a guy nearby standing on top of a picnic table with a video camera (remember those?) panning in a 360-degree view of the heaving scene at around 2am.

I remember grinning to myself, "he's going to take that tape home, pop it into his video player and tell his family/friends that this was what his sailing holiday was like... and it's not going to capture even one-quarter of this...!"

We had berthed our boat in West End at the old Sunsail base, so found ourselves waiting for the local ferry named When at 3am, which got us back to West End at 4am on New Year's Day.

Now THAT was an experience!
LittleWing77
One might pick up Bryson's book “Short History of Just About Everything”, it tends to put a lot of current events into perspective and illuminates that mankind has not changed all that much in thousands of years. A lot of folks get credit for accomplishments of others and one realizes that it’s those we meet and truly get to know who make up life’s experiences. As to the New Year’s celebration life down here in Key West is basically that every night...New Year’s is when thinks get really crazy, but that is another post.

V/r

Pete
psjanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 08:41   #35

Boat: 34ft. Catalina 1989
Send a message via Skype™ to pdnervo

Re: Sea of Cortez by Steinbeck
You might enjoy a book written by a member of the crew in the Sea of Cortez.
"With Steinbeck in the Sea of Cortez"
Quite inlighten about the real Steinbeck....
Old 26-04-2021, 09:29   #36

Boat: 2004 Hunter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnervo View Post
Re: Sea of Cortez by Steinbeck
You might enjoy a book written by a member of the crew in the Sea of Cortez.
"With Steinbeck in the Sea of Cortez"
Quite inlighten about the real Steinbeck....
Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 26-04-2021, 13:18   #37

Thank you for posting this recommendation! I will check this one out. I remember the male boats in New Zealand that operated around the islands (the names I forgotten) at the northern tip of the south island.
mlspadaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 13:24   #38

On the subject of cruising without sails

Is there anyone with experience cruising by barge in the French canals. A friend recently passed away and her barge would be for sale and is parked in France somewhere. She and her husband were “retired“ sailors. I am finding it the idea of barging for a couple of summers very intriguing. would love to connect with someone who has experience.
mlspadaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 18:26   #39

Boat: 1973 C&C 30 -1 HN 198

Fred's Books can be found here:

https://www.fredbramanwrites.com/e-commerce/books
Bill Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 07:41   #40

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
I loved Bryson's book, A Walk in the Woods, too, Rob! And I will probably never do a hike like that either. (Although have hiked the Camino in Spain.)

Did you see what Hollywood did to that book? (Same title, movie version with Nick Nolte)
It's amazing how great a book can be and then the movie version ends up being lame...

My own point-of-view is that no matter what, there is no way of conveying a personal experience that will truly get it across. Bryson's experiences are filtered through his funnybone, so they are eminently entertaining - but ultimately, you just have to experience things for yourself. Then they are yours. And not for sale.

Years ago, I was at the Old Year's Night celebration at Foxy's in the British Virgin Islands. It was a tropically hot and humid night. Everyone was in summer clothes/bathing suits, sandals or barefoot. Rum punches and beer flowed liberally. Foxy's 6 sons were jamming the reggae music. Multiple barbeques were going full-tilt. Hundreds of people were dancing (there were 300 boats in the harbour that night); a guy was walking around in a court jester's hat lit by Christmas lights, a couple was having sex under a picnic table near where I was standing catching my breath (I'm a dancer and there wasn't much of that night I wasn't dancing.)

There was a guy nearby standing on top of a picnic table with a video camera (remember those?) panning in a 360-degree view of the heaving scene at around 2am.

I remember grinning to myself, "he's going to take that tape home, pop it into his video player and tell his family/friends that this was what his sailing holiday was like... and it's not going to capture even one-quarter of this...!"

We had berthed our boat in West End at the old Sunsail base, so found ourselves waiting for the local ferry named When at 3am, which got us back to West End at 4am on New Year's Day.

Now THAT was an experience!
LittleWing77
I only wish that I'd been there dancing to the music too. Foxy's is renowned for that particular evening (and for that matter, every other evening that I've been in attendance. They keep moving that picnic table around too.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 09:01   #41

Boat: Seaward 22

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/tr...s-by-mailboat/
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, boat, cruising